• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice: I love "Rick & Morty" and I hate its fans

gun_haver

I tend to avoid fandoms here and there.
Fandoms ruined FF7 for me.

any of the ff7 extended world shit will ruin that for you. it isn't the same thing.

i mean this is what we're dealing with, a mass of people colluding to compare rick and morty to everything from south park to wittengenstein and the truth it's it is neither, it's just a bunch of bullshit people are taking way too seriouisly, just like everything else.

Even fans of lighter, fluffier shows that preach acceptance and kindness (MLP, SU) can sometimes be the hugest assholes. They miss the point of the shows and the lessons they try to teach, and are often too busy trying to blast the creators on twitter for not doing what they want or waggling their e-peens around. A lot of people don't care that the show basically slaps them in the face with the fact that Rick is unhealthy, often suicidal and has torn his family apart countless times due to his own selfishness and complacency, hey he's smart and funny that's good enough for me to emulate and revere him!

That said, I've met a lot of awesome people in hated fandoms. A lot of the people who partake in this stuff are still acceptable levels of normal and just trying to make their fanart and fanfiction and forums in peace. The assholes just tend to get spotlights shone on them (sometimes for good reasons, harassment campaigns and bullshit like putting needles in cookies is never okay, obvs).

Sinfamy

Gimme a break Vice, passionate fans are annoying, water is wet, what else is new.
I considered myself a Minecraft fan back in 2011 until I realized a large portion of the user-base is under 16 and have mild asperger syndrome.
That obviously hasn't ruined my experience of the game, but it sure as hell makes me avoid bringing it up in public.

I always fucking said Fandoms are trash. Now people barely are starting to go 'Oh maybe they are bad..'

Still most people are coming to the conclusion that just specific fandoms are shit and not fandoms as a whole
or the more accurate conclusion of humanity as a whole

having a character named Red Herring in your movie is the perfect idea, really
latest

G-Fex

Still most people are coming to the conclusion that just specific fandoms are shit and not fandoms as a whole
or the more accurate conclusion of humanity as a whole

Being a fan is great. It's good to be a fan of something.

Somehow a grouping of such a thing becomes horrible.

Fuck you tumblr.

Sonic Mania is the first exception though. I'm sorry for saying Sonic is bad when Mania exists now, but just imagine when I say "Sonic is bad" I'm not talking about Mania, I'm talking about the rest of the series (save for another few games or so)
Even with Mania though - not as much anymore, but definitely when it first came out and in pre-release stuff - people were still shitposting with Sonic Cycle memes (which haven't even been relevant to the series since Colors) and how the 90s Sonic games weren't good either. Those games were just as revered as the NES/SNES Marios, Zeldas, Metroids etc. back in the day but you never see the same level of "Yeah, but were they really any good?" contrarian hot takes in threads about those games.

What was this thread about? Oh yeah, Rick and Morty. I've still only seen a few episodes but want to watch more. Maybe once I'm done with Gravity Falls.

The big list of awful fanbases:

SuperWhoLock fans
Bronies
R&M fans
J.Cole fans
Walking Dead fans
Wrestling fans (especially)
Patriots fans
Xxxtentacion fans

Zack Snyder fans
South Park fans
Those GoT fans that make podcasts all about what the fuck Jon Snow or whoever the fuck ate for breakfast that one time in season 20, episode 4
Prequels fans
PewDiePie fans

With Trump fans obviously getting the gold medal
You left off Bernie fans

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's really not. Comes across as forced and "xdsorandom" ect

Random? How? Are some of you just jumping on the bandwagon and forming your opinions based solely on memes and not the show because in the context of the show it's not "random".

Not

Banned
Why is it that cartoons that get popular have incredibly toxic and weird fandoms, but TV shows are perfectly normal?

Huh.

This is an interesting correlation. But I think we only notice the big cartoons, and then you can explain it by size and fractions.

Chindogg

I always fucking said Fandoms are trash. Now people barely are starting to go 'Oh maybe they are bad..'

I mean the good news is no one's harassing each other on Twitter because of fanart of a certain body type or it wasn't the correct ship.

Dear lord fandoms have ruined so much shit for me in the last two years.

Maengun1

The eternal struggle: Whenever I love something that isn't popular I'm like "wtf is wrong with people this thing is amazing! Can't believe people are talking about [whatever else] crap over this"

*thing becomes popular*

"oh my god all these fans are so friggin' stupid annoying I can't stand being associated with this"

Currently most relevant to Rick & Morty and the GOT books + season 1 vs. seasons 2+ of GOT
KuGsj.gif

Seeing some mentions of Bojack here. Without any data to back up this statement, I think Bojack's audience tends to be older or at least more mature for a few reasons.

1. Bojack's humor can't really be distilled or made into an easy reference which then becomes a meme. The show is inherently not meme-y. You can't just put any of the jokes of Bojack onto a t-shirt. People don't post snapchats and facebook memes and shit about Bojack

2. While both shows deal with mature themes, it seems like the Rick and Morty audience that harassed those writers don't really want those mature themes. Pickle Rick was openly reviled for trying to call out Rick on his bullshit and how his bullshit affects the people in Rick's life.

3. The audience of Bojack don't want to be Bojack but they can see themselves in his struggle with depression, narcissism, self loathing, and anxiety. He can't really be projected onto as an egotistical intellectual power fantasy like what can be done with Rick.

I considered myself a Minecraft fan back in 2011 until I realized a large portion of the user-base is under 16 and have mild asperger syndrome.

Conflating awkwardness with autism. Classy.

The wire and breaking bad have some incredibly annoying fanbases who need to tell everybody they've watched the show.

I'm not even sure how you can compare fans recommending a good show to fans harassing a female writer.

Also these "X fandom is just as bad too!" whataboutism is such a weak argument devoid of any substance. Try harder!

AlexBasch

Fans are always the worst part of anything. Wrestling, music, movies, tv, games and on and on. Nothing makes me less enthused for something than listening to it's sniveling self entitled whiny little bitchmade fans throw their own feces and have tantrums over the product they claim to love but really just want to pull a Gollum and obsess over it in a sick, violent, and unhealthy way.
Avoiding fan communities will improve your enjoyment of a product immensely.
You just described why I despise "gamer" stuff and "gaming" bullshit. I love and breathe videogames, but I'm not an asshole about it and I feel kinda lonely when I don't have friends to play videogames with because most people who game are toxic filth that I don't want to ever interact with.

Raziel

I hope there's another episode where Rick is a dick to Morty or someone tears down Jerry for being a pathetic milquetoast. I feel like the show hasn't quite mined enough from these concepts.

I hope there's another episode where Rick is a dick to Morty or someone tears down Jerry for being a pathetic milquetoast. I feel like the show hasn't quite mined enough from these concepts.
This is where the show is getting grating with me. Giving the impression characters will evolve only for them to be the exact same a few episodes later.

Khezu

How is the third season?

I liked the first one, but thought the second one was kinda weak.

On topic, fans are super annoying yes, people shouting Pickle Rick in public at each other is fucking strange.

How is the third season?

I liked the first one, but thought the second one was kinda weak.

On topic, fans are super annoying yes, people shouting Pickle Rick in public at each other is fucking strange.
Third season opener is amazing, then has a few weak episodes sprinkled with some decent, then a couple of episodes that are arguably some of the best in the series, and then final 2 episodes prior to the finale this weekend were disappointing. I'd call it a strong season but it depends on who you speak with.

I actually wonder how that show became so big? During the first season "no one" really cared.
Now it feels like a "meme-territory" show.

It felt like with season 3 it blew up really big, at least online. You had a lot of hype and thousands of memes like "Sichuan Sauce", "Pickle Rick", "Get schwifty" etc. It really felt this year it became big (in my experience)

I honestly have no idea either. I remember being worried about the show being canceled back during season 1 because no one seemed to care. Once season 2 started, I noticed that audience was bigger, and I stopped being concerned about it. Between seasons 2 and 3 I started noticeing the show seemed weirdly bigger then when the show was actually airing. Then the April Fools episode aired, and the fan base just got super fucking loud, and it's been that way all season.

Bakercat

Yeah, as a fan of the show and being pretty nihilistic myself, it's hard to talk about liking this show without people thinking I'm an asshole. I keep my thoughts to myself and for others that think differently I support them the best I can. I think rick is a funny but flawed character that should not be looked at in a positive light. It seems the shitty fans try to compare themselves to rick and act like an ass to everyone else because their hero does that in the show. They're not clever or smart, just another douchebag who thinks they're better than everyone else.

Top Bottom