• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice: I love "Rick & Morty" and I hate its fans

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Pickle Rick is funny but these new r&m fans seem to be extremely obnoxious about the series. They're treating it like a fad...and thats just horrible overall

I live on mars so I had kind of never heard of RM until recently (in a GAF bojack thread!). I watched the first episode and hated it (the burps are beyond fucking irritating). But I stuck and watched the first season and I admit that some episodes are pretty good (dog ep, potion ep).

But dear god are the burps annoying. Also I know that rick is supposed to be an asshole but I'm surprised at the misogyny he keeps expressing - not because you can never have a misogynous character- but because it's often not really funny.

i still much prefer bojack

26d.gif

RLM fans are the Rick and Morty fandom of film.

PaulloDEC

The funny thing about R&M is that it isn't really intellectual so much as just clever. Sure, it'll do a semi-deep monologue every now and then, but mostly the "smartness" of it is just interesting sci-fi ideas. I feel like it has pretty damn broad appeal.

Thankfully I live in an area where I don't run into Rick and Morty fans, so I can easily avoid their "kind". People who obsess over a show like that are legit insane though.

Why is it that cartoons that get popular have incredibly toxic and weird fandoms, but TV shows are perfectly normal?

Because fandoms in generals tend to crazy. I can't tell you how crazy the Potter fans were back in the day.

Granjinha

ehhhh

that is common with everything that's popular. Just ignore the dipshits that think they're so smart because they watch rick & morty. I actually never met one (someone that watches it and thinks he's smart or some hot shit), but the internet sure is full of stupid people.

Hot take:

Pickle Rick is not that funny.

you're wrong

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
LOL I saw that tweet too. This has come up a lot recently but the people who see themselves in characters like Bojack Horseman and Rick Sanchez and don't recognize the fact that both characters are damaged and damage their loved ones are indeed very problematic, to say the least. A similar discussion was brought up around the time Breaking Bad was all anyone talked about. Around then there were many fans who idealized Walt because he was "smart, ruthless and aggressive" in getting what he wanted while Skylar was a "naggy, overbearing, bitch" for trying to "tear him down and undermine his success".

These people do not exist, because the TEXT of Bojack is that he is a broken person who hurts people. He doesn't narratively "win" when he is a bad person the way Rick always wins.

RLM fans are the Rick and Morty fandom of film.

When you're right you're right

On reflection, a Rick and Morty episode making fun of the terrible parts of the fanbase makes way too much sense.

I'm sure the bullshit happening with the female writers won't go unmentioned by the show.

Par Score

The "I hate R&M because of fans" circle jerk has actually reached the point where it's more common for me to encounter that opinion than encounter obnoxious fans.

This goes for pretty much any "Fandom X is bad" opinion.

I hear way more jerks dunking on fandoms than I do jerks from those fandoms.

Nightbird

Bojack Horseman has fans like this?

Yes and no.

Yes: It has Fans that see themselves in the Main Character and feel like they are going trough similar things

No: They don't put themselves on a pedestal claiming they are better than other people. However, they do like to mention how broken they are

jstripes

Banned
Bojack Horseman has fans like this?

There's no power fantasy wish fulfillment in BoJack Horseman for those toxic fans to identify with.

In Breaking Bad a wimpy chemistry teacher changed his life, got a "fuck you" attitude, and rose to the top of the criminal underworld.

In Rick and Morty it's a super-genius misanthropist who has pretty much ultimate power to do whatever he wants on a whim.

Why can't men just like something and share that hobby with a woman and not be a complete dick about it?

Reminds me of how some Breaking Bad fans absolutely despised Skyler (and Anna Gunn) while defending and fawning over Walt as some bastion of male strength and power.

Lot's of REALLY passionate fandoms are cesspools.

To be fair, in this case, I see a lot of weird hate for Jesse too. I think BB fans just hold Walter White up as the ultimate power fantasy.

mr2xxx

Banned
Are these people that hard to avoid though? All the fans I've meet in real life just state the show is funny and maybe bring up an episode they enjoyed at most. Unless we are strictly speaking online discussion and that's easy to avoid.

MortosDer

Neo Member
What can I say... I see someone on facebook saying "durr you guys are not smart for liking rick and morty hurr". I'll throw the copypasta at them. If just to spite them.
Yeah, we get man. It's just a show... but all this complaining is just as trite and annoying as fans thinking themselves smarter than anyone else because of a tv show. In my experience, they probably don't. They just do it to annoy people at this point.

Sort of OT but the constant burping sort off put me off watching Rick and Morty. I find it really disgusting lol. Other than that it seemed okay? but not that great

Same. I didn't really find it that funny either. Watching the first three episodes, I kept finding myself just patiently waiting for it to be over.

Are these people that hard to avoid though? All the fans I've meet in real life just state the show is funny and maybe bring up an episode they enjoyed at most. Unless we are strictly speaking online discussion and that's easy to avoid.

The most problematic thing is the ones harassing the female writers. Which is fucking horrible, and happens way too often.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't get it. R&M is a show for intelligent people? I love the show, but I've never even thought of it like that. It's just a very funny, smart (but not "you need to be a theoretical physicist to get it" smart) cartoon.

I hope Rick and Morty fans don't also watch Bojack Horseman. All those female writers, artists, and directors. How dare women make my favourite cartoons?!

I do feel that season 3 is distinctly lacking some much needed Dan Harmon-y writing, since he's the humanist who actually appreciates the fleetingness of life, as per Community.
"nobody wins, everyone dies, and nobody gets out" is basically a Harmon line.
Morty's line on "nobody belongs anywhere, please come watch tv" is similar to that.

There's nothing to really counter the overly violent wackiness for wackiness sake now, which you do need as a way to validate that violence. If you don't, it's just violence. And anybody can do that, which is where it loses comedy or some outlandish setup for pseudo-drama.
I enjoy it for what it is, but I do think it has probably run its course for 'obscure cartoon with decent message' to 'violent cartoon that lost its way'. Like South Park did about 15 years ago, basically.*
However, the season finale this weekend might change that feeling.

I do think Bojack Horseman has made itself the superior show with season 4 though. It was kinda touch and go in S2, but having distinct characters and focusing on their relations really made it come together a lot more substantially than R&M is right now.

* I have watched all of it up till the current season anyway and can still enjoy it, but I'm not going to ignore that it's been on the overtime of the overtime of the overtime of the overtime for a long ass time. And you should see *that* community if you think modern shows are toxic.

Kind of a fucked up post coming from you, thought you were a pretty inclusive person.

That's sarcasm, buddy.

I hope Rick and Morty fans don't also watch Bojack Horseman. All those female writers, artists, and directors. How dare women make my favourite cartoons?!

Their brains would probably melt.

Anyway, I love R&M but the fandom is definitely going batshit with everything right now.

JSoup

Banned
?
It's a popular thing.
Popular things have fans all across the spectrum.
There are going to be people who just watch the thing a move on and there are going to be people who take it too damn far.
News at 11.

Aselith

Why is the assumption in the article that the backwards hat guy is a fan? I mean he could be but he could be some asshole that wandered by too.

Is the question a show reference?

Top Bottom