• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Resident Evil’ Movie Reboot: Kaya Scodelario, Robbie Amell, Hannah John-Kamen, Neal McDonough & More To Star In Origin Story Adaptation

TLZ

Banned
They are actually classified as caucasians or indo caucasoid to be more precise. The vast majority. It's about bone structure.

south-india_1415189861_725x725.jpg

g79du6uup1dz.jpg

There is no "indian" race.

It's a nationality.
Sure. Classify them as caucasians all you want. I can spot one from a mile away. They have distinct features.

If you want to play that silly game, might as well put the Arabs in the caucasians bucket as well. At least they're closer featurewise and geographically. At least there are many who you might easily mistake as Italians, Spanish, or even French and English.

So let's not go there. And be proud of your Indian race.

Astral Dog

Netflix series sounds funny but im hyped for the movie coming in november, the director is a big fan of the Resident Evil REmakes.

Kronos9x

Sure. Classify them as caucasians all you want. I can spot one from a mile away. They have distinct features.

If you want to play that silly game, might as well put the Arabs in the caucasians bucket as well. At least they're closer featurewise and geographically. At least there are many who you might easily mistake as Italians, Spanish, or even French and English.

So let's not go there. And be proud of your Indian race.

You can also add Arabs as caucasian. And i'm not Indian, i'm simply stating some facts.

TLZ

Banned
You can also add Arabs as caucasian. And i'm not Indian, i'm simply stating some facts.
These aren't facts mate. You're generalising. An extremely tiny teeny weeny number of people are what you mentioned. But the vast, VAST majority are Dravidian. Those are what we identify as an the Indian race.

Yes there are many Arabs who could easily be identified caucasian, but we can't simply blanket call Arabs caucasians. Some of them are originally from Europe or Slavs, who migrated or simply were bought as slaves in the past. Some of them are mixed. Even then, if you see an Arab with blond hair and blue eyes, you still don't call them caucasian. They'll get upset and let you know they're full on Arab. Or be my guest and try 🤣

We're all of the human race, same father, same mother. But at one point we were divided by our different looks, and went our separate ways settling in different lands, developing different languages. And those unique things defined us with time.

Kronos9x

These aren't facts mate. You're generalising. An extremely tiny teeny weeny number of people are what you mentioned. But the vast, VAST majority are Dravidian. Those are what we identify as an the Indian race.

Yes there are many Arabs who could easily be identified caucasian, but we can't simply blanket call Arabs caucasians. Some of them are originally from Europe or Slavs, who migrated or simply were bought as slaves in the past. Some of them are mixed. Even then, if you see an Arab with blond hair and blue eyes, you still don't call them caucasian. They'll get upset and let you know they're full on Arab. Or be my guest and try 🤣

We're all of the human race, same father, same mother. But at one point we were divided by our different looks, and went our separate ways settling in different lands, developing different languages. And those unique things defined us with time.

Sounds like this topic is getting to you for some reason. Anyway, i'm here to talk about RE and the characters so this is all i'll say about this.

Vaelka

Lisa genuinely looks like someone wearing a Halloween costume lol.
A good costume granted, but it still looks obviously like a costume.

Kuranghi

Based on that twitter teaser, I don't actually think its possible to be too high while watching this, I think I'll find there is always a higher plateau I can reach that will make it even funnier. I just need to make sure I drink plenty so I don't perforate my throat from laughing.

Maybe there is a wrap around point where it will become high art, no pun intended.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Black people have eyes, which is a distinctly white feature. Black people are Caucasian, as well. And Asians? It's IN the name of Caucasian. EVERYONE IS WHITE.

Beelzebubs

This has to be a tax write off for the studio. This is one of the biggest gaming forums on the internet and still, nobody gives a fuck about this. I really don't understand the audience they're trying to target...

Azurro

Banned
Ahh the battle of cringe Netflix RE vs Reboot RE.
No matter who comes out of the top, we lose.

I was sure at least they'd be more faithful than the Mila Jovovich RE movies...but now even something so easy to do doesn't seem likely. First black Wesker with a harem of multiracial daughters and then Mariachi Leon here.

Just saying that Twitter video quality is ABSOLUTE garbage, much worse than YT (which is already garbage), so reserve any judgements on the CG work until watching the trailer on Apple Trailers or something.

brian0057

Banned
I can't believe this and the Netflix show are making me nostalgic for the original Resident Evil film.
At least that one had a banger theme.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I can't believe this and the Netflix show are making me nostalgic for the original Resident Evil film.
At least that one had a banger theme.
Yeah, from time to time I remember that. It's basically one of the things that was worth a damn in that movie... Even thou sounds more like Metroid-like

So I just watched the trailer and looks a fan movie with a big budget. Casting mostly doesn't fit right. Combining 1 and 2 sounds weird. What the hell is that music doing in this trailer?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sure, it looks like a straight-to-DVD fan movie; but boy does it actually look like Resident Evil. Creator clearly has a love for the original games, tons of neat little nods.

Imagine it'll turn out like the Warcraft movie where it's not actually a good movie, but fans will appreciate it for what it is.

You know I think I have a little more respect for the original Anderson movie now. The original had none of the characters from the games, but that gave them license to make whatever characters they wanted and the cast was pretty diverse. As an adaptation it sucked, but as it’s own thing it wasn’t that bad.
The second movie and onward were pretty fucking stupid though, especially the one where they shot for shot stole the Wesker fight scenes from RE5 and did them worse.

This new one though looks like a college film project with cosplayers. Pair that with the shitty CG (the licker at least looked alright) and this looks like someone trying to make a cheap buck and lazily race swapping two characters to guilt trip people into defending it. Trying to cram both RE1 and 2 into one movie seems like a set up for disaster too.

I mean they went all out representing RE lore to the fullest unlike Mila movies and then they make Leon Indian with curly longish hair.....Like that was one thing you couldn't of messed up. Leons appearance is so iconic. What a mess lol.

Jack Uzi

Banned
I don’t think the director loves the series enough with the way Leon looks.
I’d make it a priority to make that character look accurate. I don’t care that they race bent him, I care that I don’t see Leon at all, putting him in those RPD pyjamas and calling him Leon doesn’t make me think he is or embodies the character. That fucking hair and goatee, Leon Singh Kennedy ain’t it.
Everyone else is serviceable, at least I know Ada is safe with her actress, Sherry is whatever just make her actress hair/wig blonde.

edit: Chief Irons looks like Old/punished Leon Kennedy
Resident-Evil-Welcome-To-Raccoon-City-Trailer-Brian-Irons.jpg

Last edited:

Aggelos

Just saying that Twitter video quality is ABSOLUTE garbage, much worse than YT (which is already garbage), so reserve any judgements on the CG work until watching the trailer on Apple Trailers or something.

Well, how does it look?

fart town usa

Gold Member
There's two trailers based on what I've seen. The one with the 4 Non Blondes song and then a more dramatic one. Really weird.

This video has both, the more dramatic one is first.

I'm still holding out hope, lots of fan service in this and the director seems to be a genuine fan of the classic games and has also gone on record saying John Carpenter's The Fog and Assault on Precinct 13 were big inspirations for the movie.

The CGI looks pretty awful but I chalk that up to a small budget. I;m incapable of getting hyped for this movie due to the how mediocre/awful the Paul W.S. Anderson films are as well as the CG movies.

Still gonna see it day 1 though and probably a 2nd time.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
It doesn't look drastically different. Unfortunately improved resolution and fidelity isn't going to make bad/rough CG look better.

Last edited:

Aggelos

There's two trailers based on what I've seen. The one with the 4 Non Blondes song and then a more dramatic one. Really weird.

The dramatic trailer is from Asian territories (Taiwan, Indonesia, Singapore and whatnot). That's the better one, and that representss the movie in its best light, presently.

Here it is from Sony Pictures Taiwan's account. They got the better one (without the unsuitable 4 Non Blondes song)

Sony Pictures Indonesia has it too.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The first trailer for Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City reveals a ton of familiar-looking Resident Evil locations and scenes that fans of the game might recognise! We've put the games and trailer side-by-side to see just how accurately they've been recreated.

Returning to the origins of the massively popular Resident Evil franchise, filmmaker Johannes Roberts brings the games to life for a whole new generation of fans. In Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City, once the booming home of pharmaceutical giant Umbrella Corporation, Raccoon City is now a dying Midwestern town. The company's exodus left the city a wasteland...with great evil brewing below the surface. When that evil is unleashed, a group of survivors must work together to uncover the truth behind Umbrella and make it through the night.

The cast includes Kaya Scodelario, Hannah John-Kamen, Robbie Amell, Tom Hopper, Avan Jogia, Donal Logue, and Neal McDonough. Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City opens only in theaters on November 24, 2021, in the US, December 3 in the UK, and December 9 in Australia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom