• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City First Trailer

emivita

No thanks, I have fond memories of RE1 original-rebirth and RE2 original-remake, and I won't ruin them.

And lol at the song for the trailer, completely out of place.

mansoor1980

ExGeEiFUYAkfQKR.jpg

Doom85

Looks more like Resident Evil than all Alice movies combined, but it also looks like it didn't cost a lot...

Yeah, by default it will be more faithful than the prior films, but that’s because those weren’t adaptations, they were fanfics by the director putting his girlfriend-eventual-wife in as an OC who 99% of the narrative revolves around while the actual RE cast are pretty much cheerleaders for except Wesker (though they did him dirty in the final movie) and surprisingly Carlos of all people.

This new film, yeah it looks cheap, but it might make for a decent B-film. Would have preferred a film with better effects but as long as I’m not seeing Alice kicking zombie dogs in the face, showing up Jill constantly, and having an army of stupid clones, it’s better automatically. Though no Barry or Rebecca is bullshit (though again still better than what they did to Barry in the prior films. I almost felt putting him in one of the lead roles in Revelations 2 was Capcom apologizing for that middle finger that movie gave me).

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
This worst part about this are the responses to it with people saying things like, "I can't wait!" or "They finally got it right!"

I mean, I'm happy for people that are excited about it. But come on man, "They got it right?" what?! Lmao.

A lot of people are defending it saying that it's a low budget film, but there have been all sorts of fan films that have delivered better practical effects and CG with little to no budget at all. There's no excuse there, lol.

I think they legit just don't care to make a "good" movie, they think the brand will sell it alone. Well, that and like I said, it feels like it's really banking on nostalgia and those "memorable moments" from the games. The zombie over the shoulder glance, truck driver hitting RPD, itchy tasty, etc.

Poplin

I mean did you all forget RE 1, 2, 3, and Code Veronica were campy af. So was 5 and 6. This looks super faithful, i mean just re-watch the intro:

Astral Dog

The setting looks really cool and i can't say no to Robbie as Chris <3

After the last official Resident Evil 'movie' from Capcom we can only go up from there

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Looks actually good. That is more effort that this memed franchise deserves. I think we know the reason why the whiners are complaining.
What reason would that be?

I mean, the trailer looks awful because of its design and song choice. But the CG is laughably bad, because, well, it is.

I think it'll be worth watching for all of the wrong reasons. But nothing about it looks good per se, at least IMO. I mean, by the looks of this trailer, the original RE movie had better effects and CG. The DOES look more faithful to familiar scenes per se, but I don't think that will necessarily make it good.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yes it looks... not great lol but the CGI quality (the designs are terrible outside of when its lifted straight from the game) is not as bad as people are making out in this thread. Maybe actually go back and look at old CGI before you say silly things.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Oh you want me to post RE8 memes? Just go to youtube... that's basically what the series is all about now.

I don't want you to post anything. Ever again. Give me your account and stand in the corner.

But no, it was a criticism to your post layout. You got memes followed by a condemnation of 8, followed by Revelations alt outfits. The break for text implied that the rest of your post was going to be 8-centric. I'd suggest putting the Chris image above the 8 blurb, it makes for a more sensible read. This is serious business, as I'm sure you're aware.

*rides off on my unicorn*

Airbus Jr

Banned
Nah the source material will always exist. If you don't like it just vote with your wallet and move on with life
If the source material exist then why not follow it man ? And yeah im voting with my wallet im not paying for this crap

Last edited:

Doom85

I think they legit just don't care to make a "good" movie, they think the brand will sell it alone. Well, that and like I said, it feels like it's really banking on nostalgia and those "memorable moments" from the games. The zombie over the shoulder glance, truck driver hitting RPD, itchy tasty, etc.

And yet again will still most likely be better in than the prior films. Hell, they used nostalgia that made no sense to the story. In movie 4, Wesker tells Chris and Claire they’ve become a thorn in his side. But that makes no sense, he never knew about Chris in the movie and he might know Claire but she barely did shit. He only says this as it’s what he said to Chris and Sheva in the fifth game (the movie fight even does the same choreography as the 5th game’s fight), but there it made sense as Chris and Sheva had been messing with his plans and such.

Hell, in the third movie they say the virus is killing the planet itself and making water disappear. Nonsensical as fuck, but still, it was part of the story, and then movie 4 and beyond they pretend that wasn’t a thing with zero explanation.

If this new movie gives even 5% effort in telling a story, it will be goddamn Citizen Kane compared to the prior films. The Fast and Furious plots are even less of a mess compared to the Alice nonsense.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Looks bad. Like a cosplay version of Resident Evil. Which, along with Silent Hill (and numerous other video game properties) has to have the easiest world to adapt to film and not have it be terrible. If American Horror Story can flirt with campy premises and still deliver an enjoyable experience I have no idea why these properties aren't able to. Mind boggling really.

Can't wait for the sequel to this video:

That's some pretty forced "I can't breathe. . ." type laughter.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
And yet again will still most likely be better in than the prior films. Hell, they used nostalgia that made no sense to the story. In movie 4, Wesker tells Chris and Claire they’ve become a thorn in his side. But that makes no sense, he never knew about Chris in the movie and he might know Claire but she barely did shit. He only says this as it’s what he said to Chris and Sheva in the fifth game (the movie fight even does the same choreography as the 5th game’s fight), but there it made sense as Chris and Sheva had been messing with his plans and such.

Hell, in the third movie they say the virus is killing the planet itself and making water disappear. Nonsensical as fuck, but still, it was part of the story, and then movie 4 and beyond they pretend that wasn’t a thing with zero explanation.

If this new movie gives even 5% effort in telling a story, it will be goddamn Citizen Kane compared to the prior films. The Fast and Furious plots are even less of a mess compared to the Alice nonsense.
To be fair, after the second movie I never bothered anymore. But I can only imagine how ridiculous they got in terms of story or lack there of, lol.

Aranea

Looks meh and this come from a huge Resident Evil fan girl. The director made some reference to the original game as seen on the trailer but the actors likeness breaks the immersion for me. No offence to any of the actors as i'm sure they are all top quality actors.

Looks about as mediocre as I was expecting. Still amazed at how cheap some of the CGi and effects are though. Zombie design is also pretty meh as well. Only will watch for free or if someone invites me to see it and they pay for everything. Seems like it will be fun for a laugh at least.

Also I wasn't going to bring up the Leon and Jill "diversity" thing since it's been talked about to death, but I couldn't help but laugh at the actual diverse RE characters from 1 and 2 like Marvin, Ada, and to an extent even Rebecca (she was modeled after a Japanese J-pop star in 0 and REmake after all) were no where to be seen in the trailers, although Ada probably will have a brief cameo at least. Makes the Leon and Jill thing even funnier. That good old Hollywood diversity right there. Even Carlos could fit with all the liberties taken (RE1 now taking place same time as 2), and RE3 remake already made it so he goes to police station.

Props for hiring Neal Mcdonough for another Capcom movie villian though. When you see comparisons to Legend of Chun-li you know things will be fun.

Last edited:

Kronos9x

I don't want you to post anything. Ever again. Give me your account and stand in the corner.

But no, it was a criticism to your post layout. You got memes followed by a condemnation of 8, followed by Revelations alt outfits. The break for text implied that the rest of your post was going to be 8-centric. I'd suggest putting the Chris image above the 8 blurb, it makes for a more sensible read. This is serious business, as I'm sure you're aware.

*rides off on my unicorn*

You very well know that i can easily show how the series has turned into a parody and use RE8 as an example. Obviously i skipped RE8 since everybody knows it has been memed to the point even the Capcom marketing team acknowledges it.

Kinda weird to complain about "the state of biohazard" now, when It's been going on for a long time. You even had humans turning into T Rex dinosaurs and ridiculous gigantic flies in RE6. Not even Michael Bay could come up with such ridiculous concepts.

kunonabi

Am I nuts? I’m a huge video game movie hater. I think every one of them are awful. But this…looks decent to me? Did I wake up on the right side of the bed or something?

At least it looks like it’s made by someone with clear affection for the games. I mean all the scenes, characters and locations are here. Hell of a lot better than those shitty 7 or whatever movies with Mila.
Nothing in the trailer supports that.

skneogaf

I have a season pass for my movie theater but I won't be watching this, its absolutely awful.

The cgi is playstation 2 levels!

Its a shame as this will stop actually good video game movies being made in the future as it will bomb hard!

Top Bottom