• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City First Trailer

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
99 percent of netflix produced content is cheap ugly shit. This will be no different. Bebop will probably be just as bad.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
You mean the only decent movie in the saga?!

This stuff looks almost nuovo ordine mondiale level of bad

When's the last time you watched it? I hadn't seen it in over a decade and so I rented it last Saturday. I would have agreed with you before the most recent screening, but not anymore. It's not horrible, but it's a far cry from decent.

Aion002

This Sucks Season 3 GIF by The Office

As someone that disliked every RE movie... This one seems to be the worst thing they made so far, I am almost offended by this trailer.

Wow! This trailer honestly made me appreciate the Milla saga. :messenger_fearful:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
You very well know that i can easily show how the series has turned into a parody and use RE8 as an example. Obviously i skipped RE8 since everybody knows it has been memed to the point even the Capcom marketing team acknowledges it.

Kinda weird to complain about "the state of biohazard" now, when It's been going on for a long time. You even had humans turning into T Rex dinosaurs and ridiculous gigantic flies in RE6. Not even Michael Bay could come up with such ridiculous concepts.

There's the catch: I'm not complaining. I love the games. Movie just has bad looking CGI and weird soundtrack choices.

dan76

Cant figure out what was worse, the song or the cgi. You would think it would be simple, just film Remake. You've got the most amazing storyboard already there.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looked worse than I expected but also nice to see it stick to a source.
Kaya Scodelario is like the hottest thing ever so why not watch it

Ill watch it. Didnt click the trailer, dont even play the games.

Ok, now I watched it. Totally fits the how corny and cheesy those games are. This movie can be written by 5 year olds, and It’ll still have a better plot.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
So they rebooted the movie for that teenager direct-to-video looking crap?

Maybe the writing is not bad, the cast is certainly quality but the art direction and cinematography is absolutely horrible.

Kacho

Gold Member
It looks worse than a SyFy production, and the generic diversity filter is off putting, but them sticking so close to the source means I’ll probably check it out

GymWolf

Gold Member
When's the last time you watched it? I hadn't seen it in over a decade and so I rented it last Saturday. I would have agreed with you before the most recent screening, but not anymore. It's not horrible, but it's a far cry from decent.
less than 6 month ago, i was feeling a bit sadist and i rewatched the entire series :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The only thing i like about the new is part of the cast, donal logue is great and i don't completely dislike the scodelario chick (at least when she was on skin), also we have the less terrible of the amell brothers and of course hammy neil mcdonough.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ok lisa trevor doing the shhh thing...did they transformed his character in some malformed child in need to help? that thing isn't capable of rational thinking except vaguely remembering his mother, let alone doing shhh...

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Because it’s not actually made by or for Netflix. It’s a Sony production, so of course it’ll be in cinemas. I must be the only one who thinks it looks somewhat decent.
I know that, just stating the fact that it's surreal to me that it's going to theaters. Just wanted to remind people that that isn't the case as the OP mentioned Netflix and I think a lot of people didn't read their correction.

Oh of course, but again, the CG quality and everything is just incredibly baffling to me. Bringing that kind of quality to theaters seems like a waste IMO. But I'm sure the name will sell it well regardless.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm sure I'll watch this eventually, but no way in hell would I risk going to a theater to see it

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

BlackM1st

Banned
I don't get this obsession with raping known heroes and franchises with progressives ideas and forced diversity especially when in most cases source material let's you to be as diverse and as progressive without harming the OG's people know and love?

Why not make Ada Wong main protagonist?

resident-evil-4-WALLPAPERS-resident-evil-4-33549721-1024-768.jpg

Why not use RE: Mercenaries ideas and not add all kind of fun, wacky and diverse heroes?

resident_evil_mercenaries_3d_by_pisceslilly198524_d42etn7-fullview.jpg

Why not add some Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps into the mix?

umbrellacorps.jpg

Why not focus on something that can actually work?

Why rape Leon, Jill and the whole RE trilogy ? Bah...

Never thought this was going to end up any good and here we are.

Really wonder what kind of direction this franchise would have taken if George Romero had ended up directing the first Resident Evil movie. Day of the Dead is the perfect templet for a Resident Evil film. Shame.

Aggelos

Never thought this was going to end up any good and here we are.

Really wonder what kind of direction this franchise would have taken if George Romero had ended up directing the first Resident Evil movie. Day of the Dead is the perfect templet for a Resident Evil film. Shame.

Well it would have looked something like this. But George Romero was expelled from the film adaption project, so no luck with his take.

"In January 1998, Constantin Film acquired the film rights to the Resident Evil franchise with Alan B. McElroy possibly writing the script. George A. Romero was hired by Sony Pictures and Capcom to direct and write Resident Evil. His script was later rejected and he was ultimately dropped. While Romero's script was supported by a number of people from Capcom and Constantin, it was rejected by Constantin producer Bernd Eichinger, as well as Capcom producer Yoshiki Okamoto, who said that Romero was fired as his script was poor. Paul W. S. Anderson was hired by Sony Pictures to write a screenplay; in late 2000, Anderson was announced as director and writer."

Last edited:

Jack Uzi

Banned
Wow, I may be the only person who think it’s look pretty sweet lol
Don’t get me wrong like the Milla Anderson movies I think this will be a great guilty pleasure for me. But at first glance that US trailer and song is pretty bad. I also would love to see characters source accurate in these kinds of movies.
Sometimes I don’t really mind race bending like in the MCU and DCEU for example. But Leon just looks really bad, at least shave the guy and do his hair close to the game’s one.
Imagine if the remake of RE2 game gave him hair like that, we’d still flip and go wtf is that.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Very strange. Some shots look excellent, other could be easily mistaken for a low budget fan made trailer. It gave me a "so bad it's good" movie vibe. I'm okay with it.

T8SC

Itchy Tasty.

It may be cheap but that doesn't always mean it'll be terrible. People have longed for a movie based around the games, rather than the utter bullshit we've been served for almost 20 years with Jovovich.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Nope, I think it looks pretty great. I’m not getting the hate for it. I guess past game-to-film adaptations are still affecting peoples’ judgements.
It's just different strokes, honestly. Personally I don't see anything good about the film from what the trailers have shown us. Other than, "Oh, neat, I remember that in the game." Will I watch it? Sure, I'll catch it at some point when it's not in theaters. It looks like it'll be entertaining, but for reasons I didn't want.

I don't think it's that at all. Especially since I would've loved to have had a RE film that revolved around the first game and was solid. I originally was really excited about seeing more from the film, as one of the heads behind it was talking a big game about being true to the series, etc.

Are game to film adaptations usually not great? Totally. My favorite that I have seen, all things considered, was Silent Hill. Though I was curious when a great deal of folks swore Sonic was the best adaptation yet.

The CG and effects in this just look absolutely abysmal IMO, especially for a film that's going to be appearing in theaters. At least via the trailer. It looks horribly distracting. Honestly, I can't remember the last film I saw that appeared in theaters that had CG and effects of the same quality. I personally don't have a problem with anything else, aside from the bizarre trailer design (wtf the text) and choice of music.

Top Bottom