• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City First Trailer

I'm generally in line with the "The movie looks bad but it's still a step forward from Hollywood's previous RE adaptations" folks.
I think people expecting 1:1 adaptations are never going to be satisfied by pretty much any media adaption, period. (I mean, the "best" adaptation of a Capcom movie to this date is the animated Street Fighter II Movie, and even THAT doesn't actually adapt the game's plot, is filled of of made-up material for the movie, and has some anime cheese to it.)

The racelifts won't be a huge issue if they don't become a focal point of the characterization or plot, which they shouldn't if they're actually sticking as close to the source material as the trailers imply. I'm always gonna remember these characters a low-poly blocks that barely resemble actual humans anyway. That said, it is silly to racelift characters and then not use the actual canon "racially diverse characters". Typical Hollywood.

The most troubling aspect IS going to be the CGI, as bad CGI would utterly break the horror aspects. It's sad how common it is anymore. I haven't watched a monster or slasher film since the early 2000's, because I see trailers like these and the CGI always somehow looks worse than people in zombie costumes they bought on clearance at the Spirit Halloween store. Perhaps it's a sort of reverse-uncanny-valley effect, where the more I expect to be horrified, the more the bad CGI just makes me laugh awkwardly. Notably, superhero movies or stuff like Sonic the Hedgehog didn't bother me with these aspects as much, and I guess that's partly because of the tone set. Or maybe because in superhero movies there's so MUCH CGI that it takes up more of the screen than anything from the real world, anyway. Either way, I'm wondering if horror movies need to go back to the special effects styles from the pre-CG era to really work.

To be honest, I actually now think this looks awesome because it doesnt take itself seriously like the Mila trash. Lean cast is weird but literally almost every scene in that trailer is from RE1 and 2 video games. Total fan-service.

Velius

Banned
Absolutely disgusting. I think these fuckers do this kind of thing just to piss people off. It's like they're not happy about anything so they want to destroy things that make others happy.

Someone mod Voth into the RE3 remake please
d47a0179df41ddae76e577e5e23b508b.png

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This looks kinda like it will be a fun watch, if you're not in a serious mood.

Kinda looks like cosplay though and milla and the rediculousness of her resi evils have grown on me.

Kev Kev

this actually doesnt look that bad, but then they show leon and jill and im just like
200w.gif

lol it just pulls me right out of it, i cant do it

Lognor

Banned
What the shit is this? I thought it was a Netflix show, but this is a live action film...that doesn't star Milla Jovavich? Weird.

I guess that Netflix show is still coming, so maybe there's hope. lol

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The ComicBook.com podcast ComicBook Nation sat down with Johannes Roberts, the director and writer of Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City. Naturally, one of the first questions to ask was how the Resident Evil movie reboot will be different from the 2000s series starring Mila Jovovich. According to Roberts, a new approach to Resident Evil is something that the times demand:

"The thing is times have changed, I think. When the first film franchise came out, adapting a computer game was very much seen as 'people know the name, so take the IP, take the name... and then do whatever you want," Roberts explains. "Just take the name and do anything, add some value. Over the last 20 years, that's really changed. There's become this real respect for the game. I think games have just developed themselves and just become so sophisticated, as well. It was this idea that became sort of paramount in the way that we pitched [the film] and in the way we moved forward like, 'Look, let's take this seriously.'"

resident-evil-2021-2-e1631129083810.png

As Johannes Roberts further elaborates, it's this graduation of gaming itself to a more complex and sophisticated level that makes his job adapting a film more like the classic process of adapting literature for the screen:

"This is like a novel. If you're adapting a novel, you take the source material very, very seriously. It was the same with when we went back to the game and it was like, look, let's go back, let's tell what excited us when we were kids, when I played this as a student. Let's make a super scary horror. To be the horror guy coming on and like, let's really make something that's terrifying, dark, scary, fits the tone. It was just a really exciting thing that just hadn't been done before at all with the previous franchise. It was a lot of fun."

plushyp

Other than the actor for Chris, none of the others even remotely resemble their game counterparts. Not sure why they are merging the first and second game though.

Aggelos

Other than the actor for Chris, none of the others even remotely resemble their game counterparts.

Director Johannes Roberts explained that they did not cast actors that would be the spitting image of the games' counterparts.
If you watch the character vignette videos above, the director says that clearly.

plushyp

Director Johannes Roberts explained that they did not cast actors that would be the spitting image of the games' counterparts.
If you watch the character vignette videos above, the director says that clearly.
Yeah, from the plot to the casting I've found all his choices to be weird is my point.

GiJoint

Looks like they’ve just pieced together some deleted scenes from the original RE1 1996 intro and restored it.

I'm a torn on some of the casting choices and acting, but I do like that they are at least referencing the games and it's awesome to see the classic locations.

Also, they totally re-did the first zombie scare from Resident Evil 1 in one of the trailers, and I thought that was really cool.

It might be okay, I hope so.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
At least it can't be worse than live action for One Piece.......it just can't.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Honestly the director keeps saying how he wants to make a genuinely scary movie but it doesn't look remotely scary.

I think making it so that the zombies can run and attack at full speed would add a lot more tension. Otherwise you end up with it being like the Walking Dead, where the zombies are more there for decoration than anything else.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Sad to see Biohazard in that state...
I live in Japan and bought biohazard 4 for my English language switch, the only version available on the store, and it was entirely Japanese. Unpleasant surprise, it's not just a different title... It's a whole licensing thing...

GametimeUK

I get that they are saying they decided not to have characters be "the spitting image", but instead tried to go with who matched the character in their performance.

Where it gets messy to me is the fact they are boasting the movie is sooooo true to the game in terms of aesthetics. It seems some of it was created with so much attention to detail. It's cool that they have blueprints to the locations in games and are pulling heavily from the source material.

So this creates a mismatch where as fans we want the aesthetics to be on point and they are focusing on all this attention to detail and love going into the setting, but the characters look nothing like the source material. It's absolutely jarring as fuck and makes no sense. There is no way they couldn't have had more appropriate casting I'm terms of acting / looks. I don't believe it for a second. They are just looking to cross off as many points as possible on their Woke Bingo Cards.

If they didn't focus on matching the aesthetics so much I'd at least understand the casting, but you can boast at how much it resembles the source material to then have jarring as fuck characters sticking out like sore thumbs. You should be able to identify the Spencer Mansion just by looking at it. Same with the RPD and Lickers etc. It applies to the characters too. I would never believe that was Leon.

kunonabi

I get that they are saying they decided not to have characters be "the spitting image", but instead tried to go with who matched the character in their performance.

Where it gets messy to me is the fact they are boasting the movie is sooooo true to the game in terms of aesthetics. It seems some of it was created with so much attention to detail. It's cool that they have blueprints to the locations in games and are pulling heavily from the source material.

So this creates a mismatch where as fans we want the aesthetics to be on point and they are focusing on all this attention to detail and love going into the setting, but the characters look nothing like the source material. It's absolutely jarring as fuck and makes no sense. There is no way they couldn't have had more appropriate casting I'm terms of acting / looks. I don't believe it for a second. They are just looking to cross off as many points as possible on their Woke Bingo Cards.

If they didn't focus on matching the aesthetics so much I'd at least understand the casting, but you can boast at how much it resembles the source material to then have jarring as fuck characters sticking out like sore thumbs. You should be able to identify the Spencer Mansion just by looking at it. Same with the RPD and Lickers etc. It applies to the characters too. I would never believe that was Leon.
Problem is they aren't even doing that. Claire and Jill are clearly not in line at all with their video game characterizations regardless of looks. We haven't seen much of the rest but I highly doubt they will fare better and considering Claire new backstory and arc the Leon relationship can't work properly either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom