• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Resident Evil’ Movie Reboot: Kaya Scodelario, Robbie Amell, Hannah John-Kamen, Neal McDonough & More To Star In Origin Story Adaptation

Kev Kev

why smash 2 games into one movie? the spencer mansion is a perfect setting for a singular horror film based on the events of RE1. there is more than enough material there to make a solid 1.5 hour movie. also, why is leon mexican? ugh, why are movie makers so fucking stupid? :messenger_weary: i hope these turn out good anyway, but i have zero faith in there ever being an even halfway decent video game movie. the directors and writers just cant help themselves and always find a way to fuck it up

SuperGooey

I don't know if I should be excited given the history of video game films (and especially ones with "Resident Evil" in the title), but I actually find myself anticipating this movie. I think the best case scenario is this being like the first Silent Hill movie--not terrible, but not very good; though, filled to the brim with imagery from the game including the atmosphere which makes it a decent watch.

carlosrox

Banned
Hmmmmmmmm.

Well it definitely SOUNDS like a step in the right direction and the 47m movies are pretty decent.

I mean the cast actually looks pretty good (Leon casting doesn't look accurate yet) and the focus sound right.

Fingers crossed this is good.

Ps. The first RE movie was pretty solid, even if it was doing its own thing. The sequels however are a mess.

kikkis

What does it say about me when I have enjoyed every RE movie, despite dropping many movies during watching like tenet?

yurinka

This jill is ugly? That fuck?
No, I think she is pretty and a good fit for the character. With the proper haircut and costume I think she would match Jill perfectly. She is also a good, charismatic actress, I bet she'll do a good job.

a33ed07b-4c71-4bc2-b55f-03bd3a368beb-hero-bb-hannahjohnkamen.jpg

a0KQPWB_700bwp.webp

jill_valentine_evolution_by_yokoylebirisi_d788e7a-fullview.jpg

jill-valentine-feature.jpg

f034f24c3d9e6ae3f09586bd5ddcfb92.jpg

Last edited:

Mabdia

I just can't care enough about Wollywood anymore, so... whatever.

But could be nice if we had a new CGI movie.

The old ones were amazing.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
No, I think she is pretty and a good fit for the character. With the proper haircut and costume I think she would match Jill perfectly. She is also a good, charismatic actress, I bet she'll do a good job.

a33ed07b-4c71-4bc2-b55f-03bd3a368beb-hero-bb-hannahjohnkamen.jpg

a0KQPWB_700bwp.webp

jill_valentine_evolution_by_yokoylebirisi_d788e7a-fullview.jpg

jill-valentine-feature.jpg

f034f24c3d9e6ae3f09586bd5ddcfb92.jpg
I remember liking her in Ready Player ONE.

Meesh

Well.... I dunno.... been disappointed before, this is probably more of the same game to movie cheap budget, lousy story/plot, with poor characters and tired cliches drizzled with over used tropes. See Monster Hunter. But. I've been wrong here and there.

Aggelos

"According to director Johannes Roberts, and reported on by IGN during an interview at SXSW’s online event, the official title for the upcoming Resident Evil movie is Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City.

Roberts also shared a few new tidbits for the film, which is scheduled to be in theatres this September. Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City will adapt the first two Resident Evil games, and as we’ve known for a while now, will include main characters from both titles.

As with the original game, Welcome to Raccoon City will take place in the year 1998, and will tell the events of Raccoon City being under siege from zombies. Also, as we’ve known for a while now, both the Spencer Mansion and the Raccoon City Police Department will be featured in the film.

In addition, IGN also snagged a brief interview with Roberts, who says that he wanted to focus on the tone of the film. “The thing I loved about the games is they were just scary as hell and that is very much what I wanted. That atmosphere — it’s rain, it’s constantly dark, it’s creepy. Raccoon City is kind of this rotten character in the movie and that sort of atmosphere in the games I wanted to put in [the film].”

Not only that, but Roberts says that he drew inspiration from John Carpenter’s Assault on Precinct 13 and The Fog in terms of getting the feel for Welcome to Raccoon City. “I’m a huge John Carpenter fan and I really took to that. The way he tells these claustrophobic siege movies and I took movies like Assault on Precinct 13 and The Fog and these disparate group of characters coming together under siege, and I took that as my filmic inspiration.”

Ellery

Definitely much more excited about this one than the RE movies that followed after the third one with Mila. I always hoped for a RE movie/series closer to the games and I have a gigantic love for the PS1 games.

I hope this is going to be decent and might result in more movies or maybe even a TV show / mini series.

I am excited that this movie has Lisa Trevor in it, played by contortionist Marina Mazepa. Should make for some scary scenes in the mansion.

Source for this? Would be nice but can't find it online and not on IMDB either.

"
Chad Rook (The Flash), Donal Logue (Sons of Anarchy), and Marina Mazepa have been cast for the roles of Richard Aiken, Chief Brian Irons, and Lisa Trevor, respectively, marking the live-action debuts for the characters."

fart town usa

Gold Member
If they keep the action grounded, nail the atmosphere, and give us some classic vibes, it will be a complete success for me personally.

I love that the director said he was influenced by The Fog and Assault on Precinct 13. Two of Carpenter's best. Atmosphere in The Fog is top notch and the sense of dread in Assault is fantastic. Have faith people.

Last edited:
EnJj2gtXIAA64jX

EnJj2grXMAMgbM2

^ I wonder of this is some sort of back door or tunnel into the Spencer mansion that the characters retreat into.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just hope we can do a lot more comparisons of the game because the previous films were so bonkers in terms of storytelling. You got little pieces of the universe with cameos that weren’t exactly expanded upon. Unless it was Wesker. He probably kept it all together.

Forsythia

Hannah John-Kamen is awesome, I don't care that she doesn't look like Jill. At least they're following the games now, 2 actors being a different ethnicity is no problem imho.

Shut0wen

Who gives a shit about race as long as the script, direction and actors are good then who gives a fuck, tbf the actors for leon and jill and pretty good actors as well as neal but i hope the rest do justice for the characters they are playing as, dont have faith in the person playing as claire shes pretty medicore and definitely dont have faith in robbie amell either, worst casting choice out of the lot

Top Bottom