• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Movie Franchise Set for a Reboot

Anyway that will never happen... we'll just go towards scantily clad girls doing gun fu against hulking monstars and moustache twirling cartoon characters again.

I'm not so sure they'll basically repeat Alice. When you do a reboot you usually at least change up core concepts, so I think it'll be different in that regard.

.................or they may basically repeat Alice with Vikander or some bullshit

hopefully we get some og re feeling movies

In order to do that, unfortunately, they'd need to make it a film film and not something designed from the ground up to be a blockbuster.

Doing slow, well-crafted atmospheric horror films is always risky because audiences fucking suck.

James Wan got kinda lucky in that regard with The Conjuring but the first movie got ridiculously high praise from the ground running.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm not so sure they'll basically repeat Alice. When you do a reboot you usually at least change up core concepts, so I think it'll be different in that regard.

.................or they may basically repeat Alice with Vikander or some bullshit
I'm sure they wouldn't do Alice literally or even with an analogue to a new character... but I doubt they will eschew sexy female objectification and implausibly superheroic action scenes.

As far as the worldwide audience is concerned, the RE movies are a bit like the Fast and the Furious with monsters. (Though F&F is much better at it, and more authentic to its original concept). I don't think we'll ever see that taken out of RE movies. I don't think an adaptation in the authentic tone of REmake, RE2 or RE7 is likely.

BocoDragon

Oh hell no. Protagonist will probably be male though, or maybe it has dual protags and one is female.

...so basically Chris and Claire/Jill :p
I could see a Chris and Clare/Jill archetype happening. But it will look more like RE5 and 6 "ripped macho superhero" versions of these characters, rather than the more down-to-Earth police procedural style we might have pictured of these types of characters when we played RE1 and 2 back in the day.

So can we expect the sequels to be released only overseas? Huh!

Yeah, I doubt these films will follow the games any better, though they'd be wise to do-so.

I could see a Chris and Clare/Jill archetype happening. But it will look more like RE5 and 6 "ripped macho superhero" versions of these characters, rather than the more down-to-Earth police procedural style we might have pictured of these types of characters when we played RE1 and 2 back in the day.

Yeah. And well, that's why I mentioned RE7. To be honest, while RE7 was this slower experience than the last three, it had so many horror tropes and inspirations-- and still had some action near the end. It's a new(ish) direction for the series, and thus I think the studio might look at that game and say, hey, let's do something sorta like this.

Not to say that it would have the same atmosphere or style (or care) of 7, but they may try to make something based around it. Like Ethan, Mia and Jack are all characters that could be easily portrayed as they're pretty "normal" by these standards and the story still has enough whack to it to let them run hogwild with big CGI things.

And where it's Sony, they may even try to have some VR experiences with it.

Jawmuncher

They need to make RE7, but with chris in the house trashing it and demolishing the bakers. Which in a way almost makes it seem like he's the villain of the movie.

They need to make RE7, but with chris in the house trashing it and demolishing the bakers. Which in a way almost makes it seem like he's the villain of the movie.

giphy.gif

There should be laws against this savagery. Spider-Man was such a victim.

Eh. Spider-man 3 was a dumpster fire which killed the first line of movies. I don't think being the first line of movies should write it somewhere in concrete that there can be no more.

There's like a billion comic variations and film is just another storytelling medium. It's not some sacred holier than thou ground. They're just movies.

And while I enjoyed these as dumb pleasure, they're still pretty bad and they can do better.

BocoDragon

Yeah. And well, that's why I mentioned RE7. To be honest, while RE7 was this slower experience than the last three, it had so many horror tropes and inspirations-- and still had some action near the end. It's a new(ish) direction for the series, and thus I think the studio might look at that game and say, hey, let's do something sorta like this.

Not to say that it would have the same atmosphere or style (or care) of 7, but they may try to make something based around it. Like Ethan, Mia and Jack are all characters that could be easily portrayed as they're pretty "normal" by these standards and the story still has enough whack to it to let them run hogwild with big CGI things.

And where it's Sony, they may even try to have some VR experiences with it.
That sounds ideal, actually. It makes a lot of sense.

You just wouldn't want to be that guy at Sony Pictures who spearheads an RE reboot with less mass market international appeal than the original run, so I dunno ;) tricky risk to make, when your franchise has been built upon low brow dreck that the masses love.

You just wouldn't want to be that guy at Sony Pictures who spearheads an RE reboot with less mass market international appeal than the original run, so I dunno ;) tricky risk to make, when your franchise has been built upon low brow dreck that the masses love.

Yeah and it being Sony Pictures doesn't exactly bestow a truckload of enthusiasm. I guess I'm saying they may look at RE7 and take inspiration from that but make it mainstream enough.

BocoDragon

Yeah and it being Sony Pictures doesn't exactly bestow a truckload of enthusiasm. I guess I'm saying they may look at RE7 and take inspiration from that but make it mainstream enough.
I could see it.

Kinda like how they looked at SH3 as the inspiration for SH Revelation 3D.

;(

Jawmuncher

Considering how much bank the last RE movie made in China, I think it's safe to say they'll be catering to that demographic more than anyone else.

So that means keeping the action, and if anything perhaps just trying to tone some things down so that they flow better, to keep the western interest intact. Was super surprising seeing how poorly RE:TFC did over here.

So that means keeping the action, and if anything perhaps just trying to tone some things down so that they flow better, to keep the western interest intact.

Oh it'll be action. But I'm thinking they'll run with part of the plotline 7 introduced, how it's about
Umbrella basically turning people into walking viral vehicles, I could see Evelyn being the new Red Queen essentially

Jawmuncher

Oh it'll be action. But I'm thinking they'll run with part of the plotline 7 introduced, how it's about
Umbrella basically turning people into walking viral vehicles, I could see Evelyn being the new Red Queen essentially

So long as they have an actual outline this time and not Paul writing a movie after the fact they should be alright. Only RE1 and RE2 really come across as being thought of together. The rest were like all plunked in despite the sequel bait.

Jawmuncher

Not to mention it hasn't even gotten it's home media release yet.

It just came out in the us. Saw it at Walmart last time I was there.

Hopefully some consistency this time. Each new movie retconned the last lol.

Yep. If they want to keep people invested for 6 films again consistency is needed this time. I think this was a large reason 6 fell off so much (aside from the longer wait).

Lagamorph

No Blu-Ray until June for the UK :(

But yeah, I was really confused/disappointed with the opening to 6. I was really looking forward to the huge climactic battle that the end of 5 had set up.
Hell, they could've at least shown Wesker's betrayal and everyone getting wiped out.

cvxfreak

A bit surprised they don't want to make a film that goes between Final Chapter and Retribution, because they can do that easily.

While there's The Mummy already about to occupy that space, a Mission Impossible-esque RE series would be cool. Solid team that'll get forged in the first film (which could be closer to OG Die Hard) that'll develop throughout and have meaningful losses.

A straight up horror film would be great, but their box office numbers tend to rather weak.

And make their own characters and events that are supplemental, if not outright ignore, the game canon. Apocalypse suffered for it, and the game adapted characters were some of the weaker ones in the films.

Riposte

The original German title is 'Fack Ju Göhte', deliberately spelled wrong. From what I recall it's a comedy about an ex-con that poses as a teacher to... I think get money they buried on school? Was a giant success over here.

So they changed Goethe to Shakespeare? Because Americans wouldn't know who Goethe was, I assume. That's kind of infuriating.

nampad

Never got into them because I felt the first movies deviated too much from the source material and then got a weird convuluted story (though same is true for the games I guess 😂).

Ahasverus

Hope they follow the games more. I don't need another series anything like the last.
What? Of all people I thought you were a fan. They're basically what you want Resident Evil to be.

The fact that the newest movie retconned fucking everything, like, it might as well be a reboot too, doesn't give me confidence that they're going for consistency.

Top Bottom