• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Personal Game of the Summer

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
My personal game of the summer is Sengoku Basara 2. Replay value up the wazoo and a surprising amount of depth for the genre, Sengoku Basara 2 really truely seperates the itself from the Musou games. It has got more enemy variation, more item variation, more weapon variation, more EVERYTHING. With 48 individual stages 3 different main play modes: Story(5 stages), conquest(8-11 stages) and Tournament mode (100 stages), I find myself coming back for more and more and more. If simply listing features isnt enough for you I present a small video as a sample of the kind of crazy ways you can earn money and exploit items in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdHXxNWtonA

I'd like everyone else to post their "GOTS", and perhaps write a little paragraph or two on why it's their GOTS. I guess if you guys want I can take a running tally to decide what game is the true "GOTS", but I dont think it's too important considering the slim pickens.

NSMB

Because it's the only game I've been playing recently that actually came out this summer. The fact that it's old-school 2D Mario goodness doesn't hurt either. I don't think it's as good as either SMB3 or SMW, but it's still a fun game, and it was just worth it for the nostalgia trip.

Duderz

Banned
PuertoRicanJuice said:
NSMB

Because it's the only game I've been playing recently that actually came out this summer. The fact that it's old-school 2D Mario goodness doesn't hurt either. I don't think it's as good as either SMB3 or SMW, but it's still a fun game, and it was just worth it for the nostalgia trip.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Speevy

Banned
Game released this Summer?

I'm going to go with Dead Rising.

I've never played a game which has as great a mix of attractive and appealing real-world surroundings, fun and varied interactivity, and tough as nails multitasking. It's not without flaws, but the game is truly unlike anything I've ever played. FOr that reason, I believe we'll be talking about this game as a truly recommended 360 title for years to come.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

I was an idiot and missed out on it the first time. Despite being 6 years old, this game still takes a dump on pretty much every RPG out for the current consoles. I love the characters, the music, the story, and most of all: the gameplay. There are slight issues with the port, but I can easily overlook those flaws because the game itself is so damn great. Fantastic game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
chromehounds! it's one of those games that gets in your head -- unbelievably deep, and the wins and losses stick with you. i'll be very sad when its online community dies. it's already starting with dead rising's release. damned zombies :(

i'd like to say goku makaimura, but the item collection gets to an almost mario sunshine level of tedious anality...though of course its good parts are much better than anything in sunshine. level 5 is kind of a damp squib too -- just a few disconnected rooms and some old bosses. it's really surprising after the utter perfection of all the previous levels. i get the feeling it was rushed out. i think i'll finish the ring collection when someone writes a faq -- ARCADE MODE awaits

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
59215_1.jpg

the live metal system rocks, game looks beautiful on the ds and although I gotta admit no ranking system is :( the Technical Level Finish system is awesome. I still havent finished it tho

Yeah, New Super Mario Bros. was the only "new" game I played through.

Older games:

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VIII
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

DSN2K

Ghost Recon Advanced War(late I know but its still a pretty new game)

just damn right stunning piece of game/media experience.

everything about the game is top quality, from the graphics to great animation, sound, hell even the story for an action game is pretty solid, Multi player mode is brim full and the co-op is a right blast.

mighty MIGHTY impressed that Ubi got a game of this quality this far already into the next gen cycle.

serious anyone who's thinking of getting a 360 and perhaps a HD display get this game to show to your friends.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Yeah I'd like to mention that this thread is for games released this summer. Since late june is a little late let's make "summer" mean "post-E3 -> late september."

My backlog's too big to have a "Game of Summer." Roughly 40 games on PS2, GBA, and PC that need to be beaten, 12 done so far, with no real time to dwell on any of them. Just line them up and GO.

EDIT: I guess I'm disqualified, since none of the games I'm playing were released this summer. Unless you count SFA Anthology, but I haven't really touched that one yet.

Tarazet

NSMB was a May release, which was before the summer solstice. But it still wouldn't have been my game of the summer, because I didn't like it. To be sure, my game of the summer will come sometime in the next month and a half.

Odysseus

Banned
I haven't bought any new releases this summer. This year, actually. So my GOTS would have to be an older game I bought last weekend, Republic Commando. It was fun and challenging, although I bought it Saturday and beat it Sunday night. Here's hoping the replay value makes it worthwhile to go through again.

The best game I have played this summer is Halo: Combat Evolved. I go back and forth on whether or not I prefer the Halo 1 campaign or the Halo 2 campaign, and I guess I give the nod to whatever campaign I have most recently finished. Halo 1 has that distinction at the moment. I played it through on Heroic again and was simply dazzled by how fun it is and how well it holds up. It brought back memories of the first time I played it, which was three years ago in the summer, June of 2003. Good times.

Amir0x

Banned
Heh, I have purchased almost nothing this summer. Pre-emptively, I want to say Disgaea II is my personal game of the summer.

But uhm, since I played Dead Rising at my friends house and it was pretty fun at least so i guess that's my game of the summer

Symytry

I think Super Robot Taisen took this honor just today. I'm only a few hours into the game, but I'm already loving it, despite how old it is.

Pastry

Banned
So far it's Summon Night: Swordcraft Story. I was on a bit of an RPG burnout before Summon Night, I had been playing Valkyrie Profile Lenneth (haven't beaten it yet) and he light-hearted romp through Lyndbaum and the City of Swods pulled me right out of that burnout and now I'm ready for FFIII and Contact.

Although if September counts then either Contact or FFIII will most likely be my GOTS with Megaman ZX in close behind.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I've been kind of put off by most of my 'games of summer'.

I suppose so far I would give it to Tekken / VP: Lenneth on PSP. They are both incredibly compelling portable packages. Tekken is frankly amazing to behold on a portable system, and very addicting. One more match, etc. VP really is better than most any modern rpg in many ways. I understand the collector driven prices for the old PSX title now.

I don't think either would qualify as a goty type experience, though.

As much as GAF hates it, I'm looking forward to Saint's Row. The setting is farcical, but I really enjoy the freedom of a sandbox game with such tight gameplay.

keanerie

Of games that have actually come out this summer, it's got to be NSMB. But the best game I've played for the first time this summer is Vagrant Story.

Damn those shots are amazing. I can't wait until I move in with my friend when college starts next week, he has a 360 and I'm going to threaten him if he doesn't buy it.

BFME 2 wins by default in my book because it was the only game I purchased this summer. That's not to suggest that this is by any means a bad or even marginal game, quite the opposite. I, like many, was skeptical if the control scheme could be pulled off on the console but EA did a great job in my book.

I haven't played an RTS in years and I think the gameplay holds up very well and has kept me working through the campaign for well over a month now.

Worthy pick-up

DB

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Error2k4 said:
59215_1.jpg

the live metal system rocks, game looks beautiful on the ds and although I gotta admit no ranking system is :( the Technical Level Finish system is awesome. I still havent finished it tho

Either this or Persona 3. Both fantastic ****ing games.

Top Bottom