• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite FMV game

Havoc2049

What was the Amiga CDTV? A CD ROM drive for the Amiga?
The Commodore CDTV was a console based on the Amiga hardware. If you had the complete set-up, it was the coolest looking Amiga ever!

5116db15445937.5629121613f72.jpg

Krathoon

The Commodore CDTV was a console based on the Amiga hardware. If you had the complete set-up, it was the coolest looking Amiga ever!

5116db15445937.5629121613f72.jpg
I notice they got lha files that let you run the CDTV games on a regular Amiga or an Amiga emulator. Kinda cool.
There doesn't seem to be very many CDTV games.

Last edited:

intbal

Don't you have to call phone numbers in that game? I assume they are not still active.

They got the game on gog for $6. I went ahead and bought it. Some head of the CIA was involved with it. So, some of it might be a little too on the nose.

Do you? That's dumb.
I guess I won't be playing it, then. Unless there's a mod or patch to change that particular requirement.

Krathoon

Do you? That's dumb.
I guess I won't be playing it, then. Unless there's a mod or patch to change that particular requirement.
There is probably a way to still play it. Maybe there are recordings on the web. I will have to check into it.

Edit: I looked around and I think the phone is in the game. I am not really seeing anything about using an actual phone. Only one way to be sure...

Fire it up!

Edit: I played the game some. There is a comlink on the PDA in the game, but I didn't see a way to make a phone call. I had to kill DOSBox to exit. I could not find a way to exit the game.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I always hate it when old video games don't have an obvious way to exit the game.
That was actually a thing back then.
You had stuff like Alt-X, Ctrl-X, and Ctrl-C.
Or they have a long stretch where you can't exit the game or a cutscene you can't skip.

Laptop1991

Would have to say one of the Wing Commander's, that's what comes to mind when thinking of FMV, WC3 i think, it was fun at the time.

Krathoon

Would have to say one of the Wing Commander's, that's what comes to mind when thinking of FMV, WC3 i think, it was fun at the time.
I think they took out the interlacing on the gog version. I think it originally had interlacing.

There is actually a fan patch for Privateer 2 that takes out the interlacing.

Havoc2049

I usually don't like FMV games, but one I played recently was Dark Nights With Poe and Munro and I enjoyed it. It was so much better than the old school FMV games from the 80's and 90's.

Krathoon

That is just it. You can make great FMV games now. It works great for adventure games. The technology to totally there for it now.

mistersurrealist

Neo Member
I just got the DVD version of that game. I assume it plays the same as the PC version. You have to use a code to save your game.
There are CD-ROM, DVD-ROM and DVD Video versions of "Tender Loving Care".
The DVD Video version has less interactivity than the PC versions, for obvious reasons. You can't really explore the house freely and click on things, a lot of content had to be cut. It's unfortunate that the DVD-ROM version is so damn rare, as it combines the best of each version (great video quality + extra interactivity).

mistersurrealist

Neo Member
Take 2's BLACK DAHLIA (1998). A game with amazing production values, good acting and superb atmosphere. You really feel like you are inside a 1940s noir mystery.

I also love RIPPER (1996) and Phantasmagoria 1 and 2.

Krathoon

There are CD-ROM, DVD-ROM and DVD Video versions of "Tender Loving Care".
The DVD Video version has less interactivity than the PC versions, for obvious reasons. You can't really explore the house freely and click on things, a lot of content had to be cut. It's unfortunate that the DVD-ROM version is so damn rare, as it combines the best of each version (great video quality + extra interactivity).
I wonder if it is on archive.org.
Darn. I was thinking the DVD version had more content. I also own the CD ROM version. I may get it on gog to install it easier.

Last edited:
Ripper, which put Take 2 on the map before GTA3. Jimmie Walker, Burgess Meredith, John Rhyse Davies, Christopher Walkin, and other top actors.

Black Dahlia also by Take 2, another good FMV adventure game.

Snow Job on 3DO was decent.

Under a Killing moon, and it's sequel were the best of the Tex Murphy FMVs.

CD-i having one of the best Adventure games, FMV or otherwise with Burn:Cycle.

mistersurrealist

Neo Member
I wonder if it is on archive.org.
Darn. I was thinking the DVD version had more content. I also own the CD ROM version. I may get it on gog to install it easier.
The GOG and Steam versions are the worst. They're based on the DVD Video version and feature heavily compressed videos and limited interactivity.

The Daedalus Encounter, you can probably imagine why:

daedalus-encounter-tia-carr.jpg

The Daedalus Encounter holds a special place in my heart, too. Coming from the NES in the mid 90ties that game was probably one the first computer games I played myself. At that point we had a new family PC, a Apple Performa 6300 and it came with a collection of games and multimedia CDs. Among them was Myst and The Daedalus Encounter.

TexMex

Jurassic Park on Sega CD is one of my favorite FMV games and one of the best point and click adventure games. Few played it obviously but it’s really good for licensed tie in.

Krathoon

The GOG and Steam versions are the worst. They're based on the DVD Video version and feature heavily compressed videos and limited interactivity.

Wow. Nobody has the CD ROM version?
I was messing around with this. There is a DVD quality video upgrade for the gog version. This guy has it on the Steam forums.
I notice the CD ROM version has questions at the beginning while the gog version does not. Hrrrm.
The CD ROM version plays totally fine in Windows 10.

It is kind of hilarious. No one gives a crap about this game anymore. You barely can't find anything on it. The DVD ROM version is not to be found anywhere.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I have been reading about Tender Loving Care and it does sound like the story can get pretty messed up. I was hoping for that.
I had a gut feeling the game was like that.

It seems like the best way to play it is to use the gog version and upgrade it to DVD video. You have less interactivity, but it seems like the movie part is all there.
I may try the CD ROM version some and see if there is a meaningful difference.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If your answer isn't Under a Killing Moon or Pandora Directive, you're just incorrect.

They're not just fun for camp value (though they do have that in spades), they're actually some of the best adventure games ever made, technical masterpieces, and hold up remarkably well.

soulbait

Not sure if this qualifies due to it being so new, but Telling Lies was a lot of fun to play through.

You scrub through videos, trying to piece the store together. It is not a type of game I thought I would be in to, but I was bored one weekend and got hooked. I was taking noted in a notebook, trying to make sure I could catch it all and link everything together. Very unique game. It is available on GamePass, if you want to check it out.

SirTerry-T

Super Don Quixote, loved these games as a kid. First saw Dragon's Lair in a local arcade while staying in Belgium on a school trip. The future had arrived ;)

Krathoon

If your answer isn't Under a Killing Moon or Pandora Directive, you're just incorrect.

They're not just fun for camp value (though they do have that in spades), they're actually some of the best adventure games ever made, technical masterpieces, and hold up remarkably well.

Those games are a good example of how to use FMV in a video game. The games by the Myst guys are also a good example.
The key is to make the FMV more like an extra to the gameplay. The gameplay has to drive the game.

It is definitely worth it to get all the Tex Murphy games on gog.

Last edited:

Mitsurux

Double switch -Sega cd and Fox Hunt ps1 were two that I enjoyed alot back in the day.
Also C+C Music Factory make my video Sega cd has a special place in my heart.

Majormaxxx

On my 386 (back in the day) - Rebel Assault, Cyberia (dubbed in Russian), Under a Killing Moon.

On my ps3 - Rebel Assault for sega CD, emulated

On my Sega mini - again Rebel Assault for sega cd

On my laptop - Super Road Blaster for snes.

Krathoon

I played a little bit of Tender Loving Care. I think I managed to get the hard R version of the story. The wife in the game sounds really nuts too.
The game does this neat thing were you wandering through the house and the characters acknowledge you are there, but you are not in the story.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Really, I don't know if Tender Loving Care is the best game to play if you have serious mental issues.
That is kind of the problem with psych profile games.

Krathoon

On my 386 (back in the day) - Rebel Assault, Cyberia (dubbed in Russian), Under a Killing Moon.

On my ps3 - Rebel Assault for sega CD, emulated

On my Sega mini - again Rebel Assault for sega cd

On my laptop - Super Road Blaster for snes.
Rebel Assault was a great idea. I wish the targeting was better in the first one. They intentionally made it wobbly.

Top Bottom