• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Your favorite FMV game

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
all of these are really charming in a b-movie way. in fact i would say FMV is the 90s equivelant of the 70s exploitation b-movie/z-movie. lots of corny acting. lots of screaming into the camera. cheesy as hell stuff. if i had a hipster movie night i would definitely screen FMVs for fun.

i absolutely love the intro to Crime Patrol. looks like a handful of dudes got their friends together and tried making a 70's cop tv show on zero budget.

AJUMP23

Sep 29, 2020
More of you need to be saying Wing Commander. Mark Hamill, Malcom McDowell, John Rys-Davis, and Tom Wilson were in those games.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
California
manabyte.com

It's also on PC. Had the cast of the series in it.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Slings and Arrows

plip.plop

Jun 18, 2016
I played alot of Prize fighter and Tomcat Alley on the Sega CD. Those FMV animation games Road Avenger & Time Gal were pretty fun too.

Reactions: Gideon_128

wtftad

Jun 6, 2014

Phantasmagoria

But I gotta admit when I was looking up gifs for this I get the feeling this was pretty much just a snuff film on 7 cd-roms.

Reactions: nkarafo

ShadowNate

Dec 2, 2013
I used to like Privateer 2 (Clive Owen!) but eh I don't know if it holds up anymore. Not the movie bits but the rest of the gameplay seems it's not going to be as tolerable as it used to.

Other good ones were Gabriel Knight 2, Noctropolis, and Dracula Unleashed.

There have been some recent revival attempts of the genre.
I did like Contradiction, even though it was kind of short.
Also Her Story was quite alright.
And The Infectious Madness of Dr Dekker was pretty engaging if a bit too experimental and somewhat inconsistent in the story choices.

Space Runaway

Sep 5, 2018

Definitely Road Blaster/Road Avenger.

I mean it's a not-Mad Max FMV game animated by 1985 Toei. For me these partially interactive games don't get much better than that. =P

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Jun 7, 2004
Memphis
I have a soft spot for Supreme Warrior since it was the last thing filmed in the old Shaw Brothers "Shaw Town" backlot. Probably my favorite one is Corpse Killer though.

Just FYI if you have a PS4, a few of the FMV games like Corpse Killer and Night Trap got pretty nice 25th anniversary editions.

was Supreme Warrior the first person fighting game on Sega CD?

Captain Toad

I advertise for PlayStation. For free.
Dec 1, 2020
I've never played a good one. I've played good games from the time where they put FMV segments into games that didn't need them - Need for Speed on 3D0, Road Rash on 3D0 and Resident Evil on PS1.

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
Yumemi Mystery Mansion for Mega CD.

Edit: Pal version of Mansion of Hidden Souls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neff

Quasicat

Aug 8, 2019
7th Guest
I finally got to play this years later on my iPad. I remember getting really excited that it could come to SEGA CD, then I got really excited that Nintendo bought the console exclusive so that is would come to their new CD add on.

It was several years later, in an interview with the creators of the game, that I found out that Nintendo had no real intention in allowing its release and was just trying to block any release on the SEGA CD.

Spokker

May 31, 2011
The only FMV game I really played a lot back in the day was D on PlayStation. Other than that they had a bad reputation even then. I never had a Sega CD and by the time PlayStation came out, there was a lot of talk about hoping they would avoid releasing a lot of FMV games on PS1.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Jun 9, 2004
North Glengarry, ON
Phantasmagoria, some really awful puzzles in it though.
To this day I still have nightmares about it.

Reactions: jaysius

Rikku-X

Aug 1, 2020
The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery. It's in my top 10 games of all time.

reinking

Jun 1, 2020
A lot of great memories in this thread. I can't say Night Trap was the best but I am going to go with it since it stands out as one of the most controversial games for its time.

Reactions: Quasicat