• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Booby Trap Games

Krathoon

Lately, I have been playing Night Trap and Double Switch. They were old Sega CD games that have been remastered. Basically, you watch a security system and activate traps to catch the bad guys.

Really, the Deception series expanded on this concept by allowing you to set the traps and create combos. They also took a darker angle where you do this to innocent people. They even had a dominatrix vibe going.

The charm of the old FMV games is that you are kind of helpless. You can miss what is going on and not catch people or someone can change the security code and prevent you from using the traps.

Are there other games like this? It seems like there is a limited number of this kind of game. Dungeon Keeper is kind of similar.

Last edited:

Crayon

About a year ago I finally pulled double switch off the shelf. It's kind of a night trap clone.

Remember Voyeur? It was one when you peep through people's windows.

These games were actually pretty interesting at the time. It was a new gameplay concept, even if it was born of the limitations of fmv. The thing was that you would never see people going back to any fmv game again and again. It's bad enough you solved the puzzle, but watching more video playing out of your console was the carrot the whole way through. In that sense, the harshest criticism of fmv games was true. In that sense, they weren't real games.

That's just the fmv ones, though. When I saw the thread, I imagined deception. I remember getting that one home. Actually, my friend got it, but we were attached at the hip. I believe I recommended it. Probably from reading about it in next generation. Setting traps and kiting people through them was so fun. Now that was a real game.

I've always wanted to play the original dungeon keeper. I've hardly even seen it so I'd be going in blind. I'm fascinated by the era and molyneux is a god (suck it), but I'm not sure if it qualifies as what we are calling a trap game.

Krathoon

You also have interactive films that change based on a psychological profile.
Tender Loving Care did this. Basically, try to play the game in the most depraved way possible.

Krathoon

Dungeon Keeper is kind of an indirect trap game. You build up dangerous enemies to counteract the heroes that try to poke around in your dungeon.

Really, adding booby traps would be the next stage in it's evolution. I don't think that was in Dungeon Keeper 2.

Edit: Ah! Traps were in Dungeon Keeper! Makes perfect sense!

Last edited:

Krathoon

You also got the Dark Pictures horror games that put characters in dangerous situations that use quick time events.

They play off that twitch aspect of trap games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
last-of-us-part-ii-2.png

UH OH

Krathoon

Night Trap is totally like a campy, disturbing B-horror movie. It is one of those that is pretty messed up if you think about it.

There is no gore, but it does imply some pretty terrible stuff is happening.

Krathoon

What really annoys me is how expensive it is to get the Limited Run physical copies of Night Trap and Double Switch on eBay.
I think I will just stick with the cheap digital versions.

GymWolf

There was this time i was in brazil and i had a booby trap experience alright...

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

sCHOCOLATE

Spy Vs Spy
Possibly the first game, if not one of the first, to give two adversarial players a set of (booby) traps to foil each other. Well implemented game and a catchy soundtrack.

IAJSmvF.gif

Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Talk about deception. The eye candy was a given, but a remotely enjoyable volleyball experience was nowhere to be found. Thanks Itagaki-san! :messenger_unamused:

EIWDkew.jpg

Krathoon

I see that the 25th Anniv. Edition of Night Trap is on Archive.org. Hrrrmm...

That probably should not be there. I think someone got annoyed that the physical edition of it is so expensive now.

Krathoon

I was reading about Dana Plato on Wikipedia. Yeeesh. Even her son committed suicide.

I wish she just kept working as a B-movie actor like Bruce Campbell.

She needed an iconic character like Ash.

The annoying part about it was that she could really act.

Krathoon

For some reason, Double Switch looked way better on my PC monitor than my TV screen. The Switch version has this problem where the instruction text blends in with the background. I noticed the text stands out better on the monitor.
I'll try the Switch version again.
What I think happens is that the sky in the background is sometimes white and that blends in with the text. They probably should have left it blue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom