• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone complains about Blighttown and Shrine of Amana as being unfair in Souls games, but forget about Elden Rings Raya Lucaria....

SCB3

Seriously fuck this knock off Hogwarts, the game does not prepare you at all for the heavy and fast magic wielders, the super fast Fire Dog boss and the end boss of the area one you have to fight and beat so fast that if you take your time even a second she spawns demons from hell so powerful they will one shot you. And this used to be worse on release!

Right now I'm doing a playthrough on the PC version before the DLC comes out and wanted to do a 100% run as well, I got all but 4 or 5 trophies on the PS5 version on release, and not played it since then, so now I thought would be aperfect time for a reaply of one of my legit favorite games. But this place, this place angers me more than any other...

The school in Elden Ring was fucking awesome. One of my favourite areas in the game and definitely a good challenge.

Blighttown is rough since it has some difficult platform sections and falling means death. Also the swamp shit at the bottom was horrible. You end up fighting enemies on difficult terrain too which makes it more challenging and sometimes annoying. DS1 is still one my favourite games of all time though.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I didn't find many things very challenging in Elden Ring...but fuck these guys

warhawk-2-hq-elden-ring-wiki-guide.jpg

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

eh, i remember pretty much breezing through that part. As post above said, its very easy to go somewhere else and end up outleveling it even by accident.

Last edited:

SCB3

Sounds like skill issue.
I've beat the game and did all bosses twice before,

To be fair my build isn't great for it (Faith Dex)

The school in Elden Ring was fucking awesome. One of my favourite areas in the game
Oh yea thematically it's incredible and a definite highlight imo

I didn't find many things very challenging in Elden Ring...but fuck these guys

warhawk-2-hq-elden-ring-wiki-guide.jpg

Now, then forever fuck these cunts

Zuzu

I was way overlevelled when I went to Raya Lucaria so I hardly had any trouble with it. I destroyed that red wolf. I was also highly levelled when I went to Blighttown so I didn’t find it too bad. But I was also playing Dark Souls Remastered so I had a solid 60fps frame rate which helped a lot. Shrine of Amana was alright too though perhaps a little harder than than the other two for me.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Raya Lucaria was completely fine. What I actually have an issue with are those hands. They are actually the worst thing FROM has ever made in terms of game design - their attacks are just little tickle motions. Elden Ring is still 10/10 to me

Cyberpunkd

Seriously fuck this knock off Hogwarts, the game does not prepare you at all for the heavy and fast magic wielders, the super fast Fire Dog boss and the end boss of the area one you have to fight and beat so fast that if you take your time even a second she spawns demons from hell so powerful they will one shot you.
I thought I will never see the day someone complained about Red Fox or last boss. I was wrong.

Mr Hyde

My favorite legacy dungeon. Liurnia of the Lakes is probably my favorite area along with Altus Plateau. Breathtaking design and fun to explore. The worst area for me was Subterranean Shunning grounds with those goddamn ogres. Could never really get a hang of their move set. It didn't help with them being tanky as fuck. Not a fan of Moghs area either or Consecrated snowfield and the town with those annoying archers camping on the roof tops.

Shrine of Amana…just reading that gave me shivers.

A slow, precise, calculated, methodical grind through a mess of enemies that can wipe you out at any time. All the while homing magic missiles, that defy physics, are always on your ass.

Poison arrows help.

The other method is to run but you have an awful lot to run through and chances of death are high

Fbh

I don't remember that place standing out as being particularly hard.
Blighttown isn't too bad either if you don't have to play it on Ps3/360 where it ran like crap (though the toxic Blowdart dudes sure suck the first time you play through the area)

Last edited:

SCB3

I don't remember that place standing out as being particularly hard.
To be honest its not that its hard, its that its a constant barrage of magic missles

Up until this point I don't think you naturally come across a Magic resist Shield or Armor unless you chose the class to start with one, unless I'm just missing it

Codes 208

Lol wut, places like caelid and the lake of rot exists and you choose to bitch about the piss-easy lake area?

Last edited:

ssringo

Huh? I've heard people hating the Burger King mother fuckers and their spammy spells but never Raya Lucaria in general.

Blighttown sucked because it's quite a trek getting in and once you go in its a pain getting back out. Awful performance as well. Original release of course.

Amana sucked because you were getting heavily sniped from super far away while dealing with plenty of enemies right in front of you. The tracking was also pretty harsh.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The only annoying parts are 2 or 3 parts where you're bombarded with a seemingly endless stream of magic attacks. Other than that it's a fine dungeon.

The worst is Swamp of Sorrow in Demon Souls as it makes the player overencumbered and forces a perimeter crawl to get to the boss. The next worst is Ordina, Liturgical Town evergoal in Elden Ring with invisible assassins and rooftop Albinauric archers. After that Blightown with toxic blowdart snipers and rushing enemies on small unsecured platforms.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Because it's far from being the worst place in Elden Ring.

Miquella's Haligtree
Consecrated Snowfields
Crumbling Farum Azula
Mountaintops of the Giants
Leyndell
Subterranean Shunning Grounds

are all much harder.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because it's far from being the worst place in Elden Ring.

Miquella's Haligtree
Consecrated Snowfields
Crumbling Farum Azula
Mountaintops of the Giants
Leyndell

are all much harder.
Haligtree and mountaintops are just bad areas. I didn't like haligtree but at least it looked amazing.
Crumblinf farum azula was fantasatic

near

Gold Member
I found Raya Lucaria fine to explore and navigate. Caelid on the other hand, so annoying, those stupid birds and dogs. Even the vibe it gives you is creepy.

Gaiff

Haligtree and mountaintops are just bad areas. I didn't like haligtree but at least it looked amazing.
Crumblinf farum azula was fantasatic
Crumbling Farum Azula has a fantastic atmosphere but the dogmen there hit hard as hell. Never mind the Banished Knights. Then, you also have the Godskin Duo...

I died way more there and in the Haligtree than anywhere else.

Elphael was no cakewalk either.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Crumbling Farum Azula has a fantastic atmosphere but the dogmen there hit hard as hell. Never mind the Banished Knights. Then, you also have the Godskin Duo...

I died way more there and in the Haligtree than anywhere else.

Elphael was no cakewalk either.
oh yeah... godskin duo.. fuck them.

Gaiff

oh yeah... godskin duo.. fuck them.
Yeah, Raya Lucaria really doesn't belong. Rennala and that knightess aren't a big problem, whereas Quelaag in Blighttown is one of the more challenging bosses. Same for Maliketh and Malenia.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Ehh, the magic casters were annoying, but as long as you kept moving and dodged I didn't mind it much. Pretty fun.

Bone wheel skeletons in Dark Souls, however...

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Played through Bloodborne, it was cool. Then I played Blighttown and that was the last time I played a Soulsborne, and never will again. Biggest piece of unfair trash design in any game I’ve ever played…and I played ET on Atari.

Played through Bloodborne, it was cool. Then I played Blighttown and that was the last time I played a Soulsborne, and never will again. Biggest piece of unfair trash design in any game I’ve ever played…and I played ET on Atari.
You can skip most of it by using the back entrance in Valley of the Drakes accessible with a master key through New Anor Londo or without key through the forest cave not far from Andre.

Kings Field

Blight town on 360 and PS3 when those frames would drop was horrific. It’s actually enjoyable now that we have the remaster.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
You can skip most of it by using the back entrance in Valley of the Drakes accessible with a master key through New Anor Londo or without key through the forest cave not far from Andre.
I don’t want to skip a portion of a game because it sucks lol. It shouldn’t be there to begin with. It’s such a blight 🤭

Top Bottom