• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does FromSoft release AAA games so frequently? Elden Ring boss says "we are just blessed with a great staff" that the studio empowers and retains

bByhky6jeMXqwxkPV9DZsg-650-80.jpg.webp

While the wait for news on Elden Ring or the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC might've been excruciating for FromSoftware's most dedicated fans, the studio has actually managed to pump out AAA games at a remarkable pace given how beloved every release tends to be. Creative director Hidetaka Miyazaki says the key to success is a well-managed studio filled with developers who are great at what they do and put in the best position for success.

"I don’t know if it’s some great secret," Miyazaki tells IGN, "but generally we are just blessed with a great staff who love to create these games and who are, I think you could say, efficient at creating games." He adds that "we’re able to understand quickly what we want to make and [are] able to make these decisions early on in development. We’re able to iterate and we’re able to leave things on the chopping board. We’re able to go ahead with ideas and a quick pace. We’re able to quickly change and quickly decide on the kind of game we want to make."
FromSoftware's approach to its employees becomes even clearer with some comments from another recent Miyazaki interview, where he was asked about the way layoffs have been battering the game industry. "I think in the face of that struggle and the place where the games industry is right now," Miyazaki said, "I do see this as a time for us to continue to grow and continue to cultivate this talent and continue to release these games for as long as we can."

It's easy to see how keeping experienced developers in place might help FromSoftware's releases stay at their best, especially for a lineage as iterative as that of the Soulsborne games. FromSoftware has had a long road from its roots as a maker of niche cult classics to becoming one of the premiere game studios in the world today, but it seems the company itself knows how to get in position for success.

"I don’t know if it’s some great secret," Miyazaki tells IGN, "but generally we are just blessed with a great staff who love to create these games and who are, I think you could say, efficient at creating games." He adds that "we’re able to understand quickly what we want to make and [are] able to make these decisions early on in development. We’re able to iterate and we’re able to leave things on the chopping board. We’re able to go ahead with ideas and a quick pace. We’re able to quickly change and quickly decide on the kind of game we want to make."

remembering the recent post about their new studio, & some comments about how 'sterile' it looked. i'm thinking maybe these people just come to work every day prepared to work?...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yep. I see all these layoffs and I’m like whatever happened to cultivating talent? Experience in any industry i s key and if you are laying off people who spent 2+ years learning a new engine only to be laid off, you have essentially wasted two years of training.

sncvsrtoip

They not targetting top graphics, their game are not performance wise polished, they improve same formula since 2009 Demon's Souls. Edit: one more point, obscure narration by item description and lore is much easier to do than proper cinematic with voice dialog sync etc

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Wasn't there a 3 year gap between Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro? Then another 3 years between Sekiro and Elden Ring. I wouldn't say they release games that frequently.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm more impressed with their consistency more than anything else. Probably helps that they don't try to shoehorn their games to fit into the lastest, greatest business model.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They make the same game for 15 years and they're not AAA. Its fine to be a fan and still acknowledge basic truths.
If by AAA mean released game with expensive graphic and marketing and unsatisfying gameplay then I take AA game any day.

Also they released Armored Core VI just last year which was not Souls game and it was fucking awesome game.

Last edited:
Because, apart from an immense talent and work ethic, they don't spend half their working hours eating sandwiches or shitposting in Twitter.

Graphic fidelity is not the issue, since From's games have a lore and attention to detail that embarrass everyone else's.

The same can be said about Kojima or the biggest gacha developers who update their games every month.

Slimboy Fat

But Elden ring and AC6 released fairly closed ot each other. How long will it be until their next big game? Especially considering it will no longer be cross-gen.

Mister Wolf

But what are AAA graphics really? The engine? The special effects? I look at Elden Ring or Armored Core and it looks just as impressive as anyone else’s crossgen games.

AAA graphics are graphics striving to replicate reality. These are both CGI:

PRI_180850532.jpg

R.jpg

They are being held to two completely different standards of accuracy with reality. With Thanos appearing side by side interacting with real people. Videogames being CGI themselves are no different.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Like we don't know. Have you seen the tech and graphics of those games? The art direction does all the heavy lifting to make them look great.

Gojiira

It should go without saying, they care about crafting a good game, they are passionate about what they make, always have been. Huge difference between their attitude towards their craft and how so many other devs are these days…

competent management that has clear direction and knows how to coordinate resources efficiently, with minimal interference from publishers.
Shit happens when one of those aspects falls apart. Oh, they are not affected by DEI nonsense.

And From has at least 2 teams working simultaneously. DS2 was made by a different team and DS1.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Like Nintendo they do not target AAA graphics. No interest in getting into a debate about art direction.
Too bad you're in that debate!

To your point though, solid art direction trumps the latest in 'AAA graphics', as you called it.

Pejo

Creative director Hidetaka Miyazaki says the key to success is a well-managed studio
You can stop the article right there and he'd be right. High level management in most western AAA studios seem to be completely ineffective. Also, with a lot of the western devs busy arguing and crying over Rivet's tits, sexism, and other social issues, I can see how it'd be very difficult to actually make a game in an efficient manner. I can't imagine trying to herd a bunch of cats that are arguing about gender politics all day instead of actually doing work.

Fbh

That's nice of him to say but it's probably not hyper focusing on graphics and tech and not being afraid to reuse assets.
Like Nintendo they were smart in not joining the race for increasingly better graphics. It's not just about making things easier to develop but also setting expectations.
At this point they have a big fanbase that doesn't care if their next game doesn't have amazing graphics, in fact we know it probably won't. Meanwhile studios like Naughty Dog or Guerilla are screwed, if the next ND game doesn't set a visual standard on PS5 there are going to be meltdowns and disappointment all around.

They make the same game for 15 years and they're not AAA. Its fine to be a fan and still acknowledge basic truths.

They've been making the same style of game for 15 years. Not the same game.
Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro and Elden Ring all have a shared DNA but they are still unique experiences. At least IMO

Elden Ring took a long time to develop, and the expansion took over 2 years.

So I wouldn't say they are all THAT frequent. I guess if you include Armored Core, but that's not really AAA.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Japan is just way ahead of the US in terms of getting games out.
Because they treat their employees and game creators like the talent they are instead of throwing them away every other year. It's actually a law that mass layoffs in Japan are illegal. Imagine how much better the western gaming industry could be if said law was implemented here.

Also, game devs leaving all of the greedy gacha games for mobile instead of turning their console franchises into that junk helps a lot as well.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That's nice of him to say but it's probably not hyper focusing on graphics and tech and not being afraid to reuse assets.
Like Nintendo they were smart in not joining the race for increasingly better graphics. It's not just about making things easier to develop but also setting expectations.
At this point they have a big fanbase that doesn't care if their next game doesn't have amazing graphics, in fact we know it probably won't. Meanwhile studios like Naughty Dog or Guerilla are screwed, if the next ND game doesn't set a visual standard on PS5 there are going to be meltdowns and disappointment all around.
Exactly! when make you game with high tech graphics then people expect the next game be even more high tech and the next game and next game and next game.....meanwhile the cost goes up and takes even longer to get released and the priority shifts from making compelling gameplay to focusing on high tech graphics.

I guess that rehashing the same game for 2 decades helps somehow

- Different lore and worldbuilding.

- Different art direction. Their games are visually distinguishable, one from another, even within the Souls series.

- Memorable characters.

- Different gameplay, tweaking its core mechanics each time.

- Different settings and subgenres (dark fantasy, cosmic horror, samurai, mechas)

All this in top-quality massive games.

Name another AAA studio that does that. Just one.

Go_Ly_Dow

Retaining the majority of staff who have worked on an old game to then move over to the new one seems to be the secret to efficient development without dev hell problems which seem common given the challenge of making big AAA games on modern hardware.

Echoed by Hamaguchi recently who's directing FF7 Rebirth.

GG8o_aeaQAASlhU

Also how does poop like Skull and Bones and Suicide Squad spend something like 8 years in development and still release in such a broken or poor state?

Top Bottom