• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED Finally announces Corpse Party for PSP PSN

Takao

Banned
After months of teasing:

8HWc3.jpg

PR said:
XSEED Games to Publish Corpse Party for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system this Fall

New Horror Action Title to Deliver a Frightfully Unique Adventure Filled with Suspense, Supernatural Terrors and Fear

Torrance, Calif., (September 1, 2011) – XSEED Games, an independent-minded publisher, today announced it has picked up the North American rights to publish Corpse Party, a unique twist on horror action, for the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system. A cult favorite in its native Japan when it was released, Corpse Party promises to deliver a tense and bone-chilling experience for all who dare step foot into situations they may not be prepared to survive.

Corpse Party is an adventure game that uses hand-drawn 2D sprite and tile art to tell the story of a group of Kisaragi Academy High School students who are trapped in a haunted elementary school filled with the decaying corpses and tormented souls of countless children who’d mysteriously vanished from the Japanese countryside years, months or sometimes only days prior. Desperately trying to escape and survive, players will experience unnatural, unnerving and decidedly uncensored horrors through the eyes – and ears -- of these frightened teenaged victims. Detailed 2D sprite animations and art stills show the bloody and unsettling fates that await those who enter, and full Japanese-language voice-acting combines with 3D audio support to create a simulated surround sound experience when playing with headphones, offering players a delightfully uncomfortable level of immersion.

“This is a game we believe will instantly captivate fans of action, suspense and horror and leave a one of a kind impact,” said Jun Iwasaki, President of XSEED Games. “Through its unique visual style, unpredictable storytelling and impressive audio cues, Corpse Party will test players’ mental strength and mesmerize them through its well-crafted mystery and intricate character-driven narrative, all while delivering a truly frightening experience that’s sure to keep everyone on the edges of their seats.”

Corpse Party features highly-detailed 2D graphics with a 16-bit flair, giving it a uniquely distinctive look and feel and leaving just enough up to the player’s imagination to enhance the impact of its already deeply disturbing plotline. With the aid of headphones, players will hear characters speak to them from the corner of the room, directly into their ears or even from inside their own heads to create a chilling 3D audio experience. Through various actions, decisions and sometimes even knee-jerk reflexes, the outcome of the story will change. There are no Game Over screens here: only dozens of brutally detailed, agonizing and heart-wrenching scenarios branching off of the one true path that might lead to the player’s eventual salvation.

Corpse Party was originally developed as an independent title by Team GrisGris, and was adapted for the PSP system by 5pb. It will be published in North America by XSEED Games this fall exclusively as a download through the PlayStation®Store. The game has not yet been rated by the ESRB (pending M for Mature).

About XSEED Games:

XSEED Games was formed in November 2004 by a small group of industry veterans led by president Jun Iwasaki with a common vision: to cross-pollinate the avid gaming cultures of Japan and North America. Delivering unique, innovative titles across multiple platforms and genres, XSEED Games is dedicated to publishing products that appeal to and enrich the North American market. More information on XSEED Games can be found at http://www.xseedgames.com

New thread for new news.

Trailer

UPDATE:
Screenshots

6217354129_55e3d51f58_o.jpg

6217354079_89813c8df3_o.jpg

6217354029_c391a78e88_o.jpg

PlayStation Blog said:
So you’ve taken an interest in Corpse Party, have you? Perhaps you were intrigued by the launch trailer, or laughed at the name when you saw it mentioned on your favorite gaming news site (or hilarious webcomic?). Perhaps you’re a fan of survival horror games, or visual novels, or point-and-click adventures… or perhaps you simply enjoy Japanese horror movies like The Ring and The Grudge, and are always looking for your next fix.

Regardless of why you’ve taken an interest or how you got to this blog, there’s one thing that most likely holds true: You have very little idea what Corpse Party actually is.

Our launch trailer focused on the most important aspects of the game – those being its unsettling atmosphere and its dark-as-night storyline – but did very little to indicate exactly how it’s played. So, let’s dig a little deeper and find out exactly what horrors await, shall we?

In the broadest terms, Corpse Party is a horror adventure game. You play as an ensemble cast of seven senior high school students, one junior high school student and one senior high school English teacher. The game’s story is split into five chapters, each of which focuses (more or less) on one particular subset of these characters as they explore a haunted, otherworldly elementary school in an attempt to find some way out without dying or losing their minds. Their efforts are thwarted at every turn not only by those responsible for this ethereal school’s existence, but also by the vengeful spirits of other students just like them who were drawn into this dimension against their will and met with unfortunate (and usually quite gruesome) ends.

Many have posited that Corpse Party plays out like a visual novel, but that’s really not the case. While some scenes (such as the unlockable “Extra Chapters”) consist purely of dialogue-driven cinematics, most of the game is fully interactive, allowing you to walk around and explore Heavenly Host Elementary as you see fit, carefully examining objects and piecing together the sordid history of the school at every turn. There’s no combat, per se, but you are often confronted by hostile paranormals or potentially fatal environmental hazards and must make decisions on where to go, how to proceed or what to say. The wrong decision will either immediately or eventually lead you down a path toward one of the game’s vast multitudes of “Wrong Ends,” or bad endings – generally long, drawn-out and meticulously detailed death scenes brought to life through a combination of 2D sprite animation, full-screen art stills, meaty, squishy sound effects and high-quality Japanese voice-acting (recorded binaurally to create the illusion of 3D sound, making headphones an absolute must!).

Occasionally, you’ll find yourself being chased by a malevolent spirit (or two, or three), and the game never makes it very easy to get away. You’ll often need the perfect blend of dexterity and innovative thinking to survive these ordeals – not just running for your life, but also trying to find some way of escaping a room that really, really doesn’t want to let you leave. In one such instance, getting caught by your pursuer means being shoved into a shallow grave and slowly buried alive as you listen to one of the game’s strongest characters suffocating and retching under endless shovelfuls of dirt, begging for his life for almost five solid minutes before the last gasp of breath escapes his mouth and the “Wrong End” music plays. Wrong, indeed!

So no, this is definitely much more than a visual novel. Though Corpse Party’s gameplay ultimately exists as a vessel for telling an intensely creepy, gory and unsettling mystery story, there’s always something new to see, some new psychotic spirit to escape or some new puzzle to solve. And with over 80 corpses of your predecessors to find, three proper endings to achieve and a whopping twenty-four “Wrong Ends” to witness (and believe me, morbid curiosity will make you want to see them all, even if they’re hard to watch!), you’ll surely be scarred for life long before you ever put this game down.

Watch for its release in the PlayStation Store this fall… and prepare to sleep with the lights on for a while (not that it’ll help!).

PlayStation Blog Post

Endesu

A bit disappointed by digital-only release, but... well, it's not terribly surprising. At least I'd also be able to play it on Vita in the future.

Day one purchase, right here.

cj_iwakura

slaughterking said:
Looks great. Too bad it's PSN only.

Yeah, I was expecting an LE or something. But look at it this way: this is the new future of obscure J games. Better localized than not at all.

C-Jo

cj_iwakura said:
Yeah, I was expecting an LE or something. But look at it this way: this is the new future of obscure J games. Better localized than not at all.
I am totally ok with this.

jackdoe

cj_iwakura said:
It's actually not a bad future especially since games that wouldn't have been localized in the past now have a chance to be.

cj_iwakura said:
Yeah, that's absolutely true and I'm willing to support that. I just wish they would use this opportunity and release those digital games in Europe as well. I don't feel too comfortable buying games with a fake account.

Gunsmithx

I believe they've said before they were leaning toward moving to a DD only platform due to the costs of having to put out a retail package, I'll see if I can dig up the quote.

cj_iwakura

slaughterking said:
Yeah, that's absolutely true and I'm willing to support that. I just wish they would use this opportunity and release those digital games in Europe as well. I don't feel too comfortable buying games with a fake account.

At least you're buying them. Somehow I doubt XSeed are going to complain.

Himself

When I get my Vita someday and I ask, "What weird PSP titles did I miss that I can download?" someone please remember to remind of this one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sad about PSN only. :(

cj_iwakura

You know, after my Trails UMD cracked on me, I think I'm more okay with this being PSN only. UMDs are kind of garbage.

Rarutos

It's a little disappointing that it's digital only, indeed. But it makes sense since XSEED is a small company! It's not usually a type of game I'd like, but I might get it eventually if I hear more about it (and have money).

_dementia said:
What was the full Japanese title again?

Corpse Party: Blood Covered Repeated Fear?
The original PC98 game was Corpse Party; the later reworked PC version was Corpse Party: Blood Covered; and this further enhanced PSP port is Corpse Party: Blood Covered - Repeated Fear.

Trailer looks good! Interesting that this ends up being 5pb's first title to be released overseas. I will definitely buy it and don't really care about it being digital-only. The easier it is for these sorts of niche Japanese games that I love to get released in English the better.

DiscoJer

Thanks to this, I have listened (according to Last FM) Dead Man's Party 14 times since Tuesday evening.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Endesu said:
A bit disappointed by digital-only release, but... well, it's not terribly surprising. At least I'd also be able to play it on Vita in the future.

Well, I don't blame them.
1) PSP retail situation sucks.

2) XSEED doesn't have the best retail distribution at the best of times (can't blame 'em, they're smaller, c'est la vie).

3) Vita transition is occurring soon and so you want to be able to take advantage of that. Also, this helps assuage DRM concerns; it's true that your game won't be guaranteed forever, but at least you know you'll be able to play it until 2016-2017-whenever you think Vita's lifespan ends.

matmanx1

Awesome! I'll be very happy to have this in english. I am completely ok with this being DD only. DD is a great option for niche titles like this.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
meltingparappa said:
Is this.... a visual novel?

WILL BUY HEARTILY on the vita.
From what I saw you have talking segments in the game, but when you walk around it looks like a 16 snes game with sprites.

It sucks that its only PSN. I remember hearing about this on WAHP a while back and the trailer piqued my interest. I think I will have to play it... looks good.

Trojita said:
when you walk around it looks like a 16 snes game with sprites.
I don't think that's a problem at all.

So awesome were still getting PSP release as during the handhelds twilight. Now we need Type-0 announcement and were set.

This is how you send a console out to pasture, Nintendo of America.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I certainly understand why it's a PSN-only release, but I would have liked a limited hard-copy print-run. Oh well. At least we're getting a localized version of the game, and that's good enough for me. If this allows other companies--and XSEED, of course--to distribute more niche Japanese titles, then more power to them (that is, if they are at reasonable prices).

Very much looking forward to it, especially since we're getting the enhanced 5pb version of it. :D

Endesu

Stumpokapow said:
Well, I don't blame them.
1) PSP retail situation sucks.

2) XSEED doesn't have the best retail distribution at the best of times (can't blame 'em, they're smaller, c'est la vie).

3) Vita transition is occurring soon and so you want to be able to take advantage of that. Also, this helps assuage DRM concerns; it's true that your game won't be guaranteed forever, but at least you know you'll be able to play it until 2016-2017-whenever you think Vita's lifespan ends.

Yeah, like I said, it's not a surprise. Really, I'm just happy to get a chance to play a localized version of this at all.

Hakuouki gets a umd released and this doesnt? Well I know which is getting my money.

Regardless, I wonder why there is no English dub. It would seem like it would be fitting for one since they are going the digital download only route.

Dedication Through Light said:
Regardless, I wonder why there is no English dub. It would seem like it would be fitting for one since they are going the digital download only route.

Dubs are really expensive, so much so that if it was required I can't imagine this game coming out. Most of the people who will buy this through digital download don't care for them.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Dedication Through Light said:
Hakuouki gets a umd released and this doesnt? Well I know which is getting my money.

Trying to be as cheap and budgetary minded as possible to bring niche games like this over that only niche fans will play, not dubbing the game is a whole lot cheaper.

Top Bottom