• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox will bring Game Pass streaming to TVs ‘in the next year’, it’s claimed (VGC)

MonarchJT

Banned
It's like we don't even live in a world where Disney, HBO, Netflix all dominated the movie/TV streaming market despite not being tech companies.

Sony doesn't have the money to compete in the cloud gaming business? Sony didn't have the money to compete against MS in the console business as well and yet here we are. Do you realize that Google/MS/Amazon have all that infrastructure because they sell it to other companies as well right?

boom-mind-blown.gif
Microsoft as company never truly invested in Xbox until this gen. Good luck Sony buying the most important and profitable pub for 67b. we all know that they cant' and that these are honestly expenses beyond the reach of company . Even more good luck and see you in 15 or 20 years waiting Sony building an infrastructure (which will not cost them rent by halving or more their earnings) as azure. Cmon let be serious here there are things that Sony cannot afford to do economically and if it could borrow the risk for the whole company (and not just PlayStation)would be so high that they never will.

Last edited:

reksveks

It's like we don't even live in a world where Disney, HBO, Netflix all dominated the movie/TV streaming market despite not being tech companies.
Netflix is very much a tech company first, its a part of the criticism that they face too much from Creatives. You also maybe forgot the money that Disney spent to buy BAMtech.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/08/bamtech-valued-at-3-75-billion-following-disney-deal/

Sony doesn't have the money to compete in the cloud gaming business? Sony didn't have the money to compete against MS in the console business as well and yet here we are. Do you realize that Google/MS/Amazon have all that infrastructure because they sell it to other companies as well right?
That is true but it does impact the profit margins that Sony is able to achieve. If the margin in software distribution is too low (it isn't) then having to spend an additional x% on cloud hardware does impact the feasibility of a business division. But given distribution games/apps is pretty profitable, it ain't a real problem.

Ozriel

M$FT
I think it's trash, you think it isn't. Cool. I don't see how one could be trash and the other could be great while both are so similar.

Not sure I see the similarity. One has day one AAA games, runs on more modern hardware (xbox series vs PS3/PS4) and runs on a system (Azure) the other one is trying to pivot to.

That said, I won’t make any judgement call on how PS Now streaming works since I’ve never tried it before. I certainly won’t call it ‘trash’

MScarpa

This is nice. Will be good for my little girl, she doesn't need an Xbox in her room. Just stream Bugsnax and be happy. I think more options are better.

MonarchJT

Banned
I have a feeling Xbox games will go streaming via subscription only without any digital/physical download in the future.
in 15 years? yeah also all the other will do the same
there will be another gen and half still

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
in 15 years? yeah also all the other will do the same
there will be another gen and half still
i doubt the other will do the same, Microsoft has the upper hand in streaming since they are not as big as Playstation in the console market, Sony will stay in the hardware and software market with subpar streaming.
Microsoft staying in the subscription service + available on multiple devices makes more sense.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

How does it work?

Do TVs have Bluetooth to connect a controller?
Most Smart TVs do already. I don’t have a Samsung but I recall their TVs already offer a storefront for Android games anyway? No idea if people use it or not but from Samsung’s point of view it’s basically extra money at no cost.

12Dannu123

Netflix is very much a tech company first, its a part of the criticism that they face too much from Creatives. You also maybe forgot the money that Disney spent to buy BAMtech.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/08/bamtech-valued-at-3-75-billion-following-disney-deal/

That is true but it does impact the profit margins that Sony is able to achieve. If the margin in software distribution is too low (it isn't) then having to spend an additional x% on cloud hardware does impact the feasibility of a business division. But given distribution games/apps is pretty profitable, it ain't a real problem.

Sony using Google Cloud, Azure, AWS as a way to host their servers will undoubtedly impact their profit margins. Sony probably can't do something like stream third party F2P games without a membership fee.

Ozriel

M$FT
i doubt the other will do the same, Microsoft has the upper hand in streaming since they are not as big as Playstation in the console market, Sony will stay in the hardware and software market with subpar streaming.
Microsoft staying in the subscription service + available on multiple devices makes more sense.

Your prediction is extremely unlikely. And Sony will soon be using the same Azure stack Xbox uses, so the talk about ‘subpar streaming’ is weird.

Usually when people make these outlandish predictions, they do that saying stuff like “physical sales will disappear and everything will be digital”. You’re probably the first person who’s ever said no more Digital sales. And that’s just hilariously implausible.

kingfey

Banned
Feels like I’ve gone through a time-machine. I see nothing here that hasn’t already been said or done before.
Seriously, what’s new here?

The service with the best streaming, reach, consistency and easy of use was Stadia, a service people laughed at and never used.
Forgive me for not being hyped about something worse 3 years later.

Problem with Xbox Cloud is the streaming quality and server infrastructure. They need to fix that first or people’s first experience will be bad, like it has been for me. And it’s not that easy to fix.

Microsoft may solve the games library issue Stadia had but it doesn’t matter if the server infrastructure and streaming tech isn’t up to the standard we’re expecting. Sony tried that approach with PS Now many years ago, how did that go?
Early phones weren't as good as what they are now.

With technology, and fierce competition in the cloud market, they tech has a room for improvement.

The main issue with stadia was the lack of library, which is why people laughed at.
Google promised stadia to have these awesome libraries, and those other features. Once that presentation happened, people discovered the truth, and bashed stadia to death.

For MS, they clearly stated the tech is in beta. They started with Smart phones. Then moved to windows, then to browsers and now on xboxes.
The slow integration allowed them to fix the tiny issues, which the service had.

2 years ago, the service was very hard to play it for me. Now, it's normal, that I can play online games like fortnite on the browser on my phone without a problem.

2-3 years from now, and the experience would get much better.

All that, because they didn't promise 4k, with these awesome features. They kept expectation low, and kept reminding people the tech is still in beta. That is why xcloud is gaining popularity.

The experience now is much better, because of the cloud data centers being the main focus for MS, and upgrading those blades to Xsx.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I'll take your word for it... "cloud is the future" people were hyping up Stadia all over the internet, then just like every other cloud service it gets released and no one cares.
I’m confused. You don’t need to take my word for it, it’s pretty overwhelming on the Internet. Not sure how you got this conclusion to begin with.

I’m pretty sure the amount of people “hyping up Stadia all over internet” was Malthusian in scope compared to those who were doing the exact opposite.

You can’t say you’ll take someone’s word for it then in the same sentence conflict that statement. This is a poor argument.

I personally do not like the idea of game streaming. But in the future I believe it would be mainstream. With its software, hardware and infrastructure, MS will have huge steps ahead when the time comes. I think that what MS thinks right now.

MonarchJT

Banned
Why one earth would downloads go away?
Because for some reason it is assuming that ms will no longer release physical hardware, which would be absurd given that Ms games are released day one even on PC as a gamepass. For Microsoft, releasing the console is today an entry point for gamepass it doesn't need to sell huge numbers to be successful and keep producing them

Last edited:

Fredrik

Early phones weren't as good as what they are now.

With technology, and fierce competition in the cloud market, they tech has a room for improvement.

The main issue with stadia was the lack of library, which is why people laughed at.
Google promised stadia to have these awesome libraries, and those other features. Once that presentation happened, people discovered the truth, and bashed stadia to death.

For MS, they clearly stated the tech is in beta. They started with Smart phones. Then moved to windows, then to browsers and now on xboxes.
The slow integration allowed them to fix the tiny issues, which the service had.

2 years ago, the service was very hard to play it for me. Now, it's normal, that I can play online games like fortnite on the browser on my phone without a problem.

2-3 years from now, and the experience would get much better.

All that, because they didn't promise 4k, with these awesome features. They kept expectation low, and kept reminding people the tech is still in beta. That is why xcloud is gaining popularity.

The experience now is much better, because of the cloud data centers being the main focus for MS, and upgrading those blades to Xsx.
The streaming is still worse than Stadia was 3 years ago. More latency, more stutter, lower resolution. The thing it does better is the games library. But like I said PS Now already tried that approach years ago. It’s not enough.

And you say 2-3 years from now. It’s too late. The slow evolution of the tech makes people try it when it’s bad only to never return. Once they have the streaming tech working properly for people outside of the US, or wherever it’s supposedly working, it’ll be behind on the server hardware.

That’s another thing repeating from the past, Stadia was ahead at first, had some 60fps games when XB1/PS4 had games running at 30fps, then next gen happened and the promised Stadia hardware upgrades never happened.

Why aren’t MS using PC hardware? They already have PC versions for all their 1st party games and know how to do cloud saves.
Just do it like Geforce Now but skip the janky UI and 2-factor authentification mess.

Rivet

Not that many people care about cloud gaming. GeForce Now and Psnow aren't setting the world on fire right now, Stadia flopped. There's no reason why it would be different with Xcloud.

People who care about console or PC gaming generally also prefer local gaming.

Cloud gaming doesn't really extend gaming population either. That part depends on creating new kinds of content, not on the way you play games. Most people who are interested in MS games already have a Xbox right now. After all, a Series S is cheap and it has the bonus of playing games locally.

There's no huge magical reserve of players waiting for cloud gaming to enter the market. That's what Google, Nvidia and Sony acknowledged a long time ago.

MonarchJT

Banned
Not that many people care about cloud gaming. GeForce Now and Psnow aren't setting the world on fire right now, Stadia flopped. There's no reason why it would be different with Xcloud.

People who care about console or PC gaming generally also prefer local gaming.

Cloud gaming doesn't really extend gaming population either. That part depends on creating new kinds of content, not on the way you play games. Most people who are interested in MS games already have a Xbox right now. After all, a Series S is cheap and it has the bonus of playing games locally.

There's no huge magical reserve of players waiting for cloud gaming to enter the market. That's what Google, Nvidia and Sony acknowledged a long time ago.
Psnow and Stadia had no chance proposed in that horrible way to be successful. And in fact Geforce now is setting the world on fire

"The cloud gaming business has gained terrific traction
Nvidia CFO Colette Kress pointed out on the company's fiscal 2022 third-quarter earnings conference call that its cloud gaming service, GeForce NOW, has more than doubled its membership in the past year to over 14 million subscribers.Dec 3, 2021"

Don't know what you talking about
Xcloud has all the credentials (thanks to gamepass which is the absolute differentiation and game changer compared to the competition) to be an incredible success.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Psnow and Stadia had no chance proposed in that horrible way to be successful. And in fact Geforce now is setting the world on fire

"The cloud gaming business has gained terrific traction
Nvidia CFO Colette Kress pointed out on the company's fiscal 2022 third-quarter earnings conference call that its cloud gaming service, GeForce NOW, has more than doubled its membership in the past year to over 14 million subscribers.Dec 3, 2021"

Don't know what you talking about
Xcloud has all the credentials (thanks to gamepass) to be an incredible success.

its the usual people against it and when PS do their own version it will be hailed as the greatest thing in gaming. only have to look back at historical Gamepass threads and the new PS+ threads

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
its the usual people against it and when PS do their own version it will be hailed as the greatest thing in gaming. only have to look back at historical Gamepass threads and the new PS+ threads
This works the other way around too. The ONLY people I've seen champion cloud gaming are xbox fans. All of them. And Playstation has already been doing cloud gaming. It's just that nobody cares.

MonarchJT

Banned
Well but in this case it is a free hoax based on an alternate (false) reality
GeForce now is an incredible success
and regarding xcloud (which is chained to gamepass) we know through the official financial result of Microsoft gaming division ..

"- 10 million people have already taken advantage of the xCloud game streaming option. This is the first time Microsoft has revealed any numbers about the popularity of this service."

MonarchJT

Banned
This works the other way around too. The ONLY people I've seen champion cloud gaming are xbox fans. All of them. And Playstation has already been doing cloud gaming. It's just that nobody cares.
well but it's not about that it's just about saying things as they are. Streaming is a reasonable alternative for ultra-casual gamers (who are millions and millions) over time it is a technology that will certainly improve enormously (with more datacenters and technologies that lower latency as 5g and what comes after that). Is it the future that will take up the space of physical hardware? no or at least not entirely. Enthusiast will always be willing to spend more to have a better experience, this happens already today in the field of physical hardware otherwise we would all have the s series But as I said before, the inevitable improvement of technology will expand the spectrum of users reachable and starting from mobile gamers and ultra casual, the streaming, will reach the next step and so on. Enthusiast will continue to buy (or dream about) expansive gaming rigs with the next Nvidia x090 and top-of-the-line physical consoles but streaming is not here for enthusiast gamers

Last edited:

Rivet

It already happened. Psnow existed long before xcloud, in 2014. It works very well today (every cloud actually works very well now), but it's just another nice option to play games. It's not a game changer.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
It already happened. Psnow existed long before xcloud, in 2014. It works very well today (every cloud actually works very well now), but it's just another nice option to play games. It's not a game changer.??

do you want me to explain and list the reasons why that service (psnow) was a complete failure from day one unlike GeForce now and xcloud? I say you already know the reasons

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Why aren’t MS using PC hardware? They already have PC versions for all their 1st party games and know how to do cloud saves.
Just do it like Geforce Now but skip the janky UI and 2-factor authentification mess.

Using the console is using their strength, they can buy those chips at reasonable rates in high volume. Using high-end GPUs would cost them more and lack some of the optimization aspects associated with console.

Rivet

do you want me to explain and list the reasons why that service (psnow) was a complete failure from day one unlike GeForce now and xcloud? I say you already know the reasons

It's not a failure, it has a few millions subscribers and soon probably a lot more with being included in the first subscription tier, so it's not very different from any other gaming cloud...

It all depends on the content included, but no cloud service drastically changed the gaming world until now. If you want me to say it works better now than before, of course clouds work better now, latency got definitely lower.

They're nice options when you don't want to pay for the hardware hence the okay numbers from GeForce now with gpu costs going though the roof. But on the other hand you lose a bit in latency, so it won't always fit.

It didn't bring many new gamers anyway, it just brought another convenient option for playing your games to existing gamers.

I could see myself not upgrading my PC and play on GeForce now instead. It's mostly useful on PC, where good hardware costs a ton.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Well but in this case it is a free hoax based on an alternate (false) reality
GeForce now is an incredible success
and regarding xcloud (which is chained to gamepass) we know through the official financial result of Microsoft gaming division ..

"- 10 million people have already taken advantage of the xCloud game streaming option. This is the first time Microsoft has revealed any numbers about the popularity of this service."
This might impress me if it wasn't directly tied to gamepass. 10 million people trying a thing that's "free" with gamepass. Okay. Cool, I guess. I'd like to see the numbers it would do on its own. Considering gamepass has at least 25 million subscribers I don't find this number impressive at all.

MonarchJT

Banned
This might impress me if it wasn't directly tied to gamepass. 10 million people trying a thing that's "free" with gamepass. Okay. Cool, I guess. I'd like to see the numbers it would do on its own. Considering gamepass has at least 25 million subscribers I don't find this number impressive at all.
the numbers are out there for GeForce now ...14millions of subs
Microsoft wants you to subscribe to gamepass and does not want to sell you the streaming ... it is even "giving it away" with Fortnite
The point is the success of the streaming if the service is done right.

Last edited:
I’m confused. You don’t need to take my word for it, it’s pretty overwhelming on the Internet. Not sure how you got this conclusion to begin with.

I’m pretty sure the amount of people “hyping up Stadia all over internet” was Malthusian in scope compared to those who were doing the exact opposite.

You can’t say you’ll take someone’s word for it then in the same sentence conflict that statement. This is a poor argument.
Again, I'll take your world for it but that is not the impression I had in any way. I'm not saying that the "internet" wanted Stadia to succeed (that is pretty much my point, that the people that actually care about this games don't want to play over the cloud) but the expectation was that it was a big move buy, by a big player, pushing thing in the "inevitable cloud future".

Some people were all hyped up for xCloud release, we see it in this very thread, said how it makes console sales irrelevant, etc and yet Gamepass (a service that is required for xCloud) last number was just 25m. 25m for Cloud+PC+Xbox, extremely unimpressive numbers.

Again, it has already released for Xbox (including Xbox One), browsers, phones, PC and now people are pretending that releasing for TV is going to be this huge things, it will probably go pretty much unnoticed like everything so far. But than again, just because I was right every single time so far when saying people don't care about cloud gaming doesn't mean I can't be wrong, we'll see. I'll admit if I'm proven wrong I just hope you guys will do the same and not move the goal post again.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Let's be real, you wouldn't have found it interesting even if was all 25 million people ;)

The whole point of the TV puck is to reduce the entry point and make it as accessible for people to use without barriers as possible. It's primary intentions is not for the kind of gamers that permeate gaming forums like this who prefer native hardware, this is meant for people who are more casual and/or travel a lot and don't mind a non-native experience if it means their games and progress carries with them.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Let's be real, you wouldn't have found it interesting even if was all 25 million people ;)

The whole point of the TV puck is to reduce the entry point and make it as accessible for people to use without barriers as possible. It's primary intentions is not for the kind of gamers that permeate gaming forums like this who prefer native hardware, this is meant for people who are more casual and/or travel a lot and don't mind a non-native experience if it means their games and progress carries with them.
I'm well aware of the point of the device. I simply don't buy that it's "game changing" or "the future" as several have said.

kingfey

Banned
The streaming is still worse than Stadia was 3 years ago. More latency, more stutter, lower resolution. The thing it does better is the games library. But like I said PS Now already tried that approach years ago. It’s not enough.
Being worse than stadia doesn't mean being bad. Stadia when it come out was good.
I can play xcloud on my phone, using my phone internet without no issues.
The people who have problems, are those who are far away from the data centers.

It all depends on the content included, but no cloud service drastically changed the gaming world until now. If you want me to say it works better now than before, of course clouds work better now, latency got definitely lower.
Why do you think xbox is having network issues? It's because too many people played fortnite on xcloud, which caused their infrastructure tons of issues.
That is what a single game from xcloud caused. Imagine what would the outlook be, if destiny and other f2p games uses xcloud?

That’s another thing repeating from the past, Stadia was ahead at first, had some 60fps games when XB1/PS4 had games running at 30fps, then next gen happened and the promised Stadia hardware upgrades never happened.
Stadia primary issues was games. Not performance. Stop changing the history. People didn't like stadia, due to library limitations.
Xcloud is different. People like it, because of the library. As long as the games there, people will play xcloud.

Because xcloud isn't gamepass. It's for those devices, which you can't install games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm well aware of the point of the device. I simply don't buy that it's "game changing" or "the future" as several have said.

No, I've said as much before as well that I am not expecting this to become anywhere close to Xbox's focal point for at least another generation or two.

We're not there yet technologically, even if we're in a hell of a lot better place compared to the 2010s.

kingfey

Banned
It already happened. Psnow existed long before xcloud, in 2014. It works very well today (every cloud actually works very well now), but it's just another nice option to play games. It's not a game changer.
Its a game changer, as you can play it in alot of devices.
You aren't constrained downloading it like psnow on a pc.
Browser, TV, and phone is the new change

DaGwaphics

Very true. I think people exaggerate the general push here and/or MS's expectations in the short term. Cloud gaming is a free perk for GPU at the moment and this streaming device and these apps are to increase the reach of GP and the software that MS is developing. I doubt MS is expecting to sell 100m of these streaming devices over night. That's what makes the Xbox approach (and Sony's too for that matter) more appealing than Stadia, streaming isn't trying to be a completely separate service to them. It's an additional path that fits with all the traditional things they already offer. Now, should it start to take off and people start moving that way, obviously focus would shift.

kingfey

Banned
Some people were all hyped up for xCloud release, we see it in this very thread, said how it makes console sales irrelevant, etc and yet Gamepass (a service that is required for xCloud) last number was just 25m. 25m for Cloud+PC+Xbox, extremely unimpressive numbers.
Did it ever occur to you, that xcloud was just beta service, and not a public yet?

The service isn't standalone like GeForce now. Its an addition to gamepass ultimate. Until it becomes a separate service, it would be only tied to gamepass ultimate.

kingfey

Banned
Cloud gaming is a free perk for GPU at the
That is the only thing, which holds down xcloud. As long as it's part of gamepass ultimate, most people won't care about it.

MS needs to make it a separate service so that users can subscribe to it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I would say that the success of XCloud caught these fanboys by surprise, especially considering when the PS Now hasn't make any impact all these years.

Mattyp

Gold Member
You can keep the cloud Microsoft.

They’ll be happy to, cloud is what makes them one of the most profitable and richest companies in the world.

This isn’t the future, or life changing tech, no one has said that. People need to realise it just another option, to subsidise the 100s of millions who can’t afford a physical console.

People hate cloud gaming? We get it don’t use it blah blah don’t need 20 pages of dribble comments to hear that. Have plenty of friends in Thailand, SA, Indonesia & Vietnam who would jump at playing next gen games for $9 a month if that’s all it costs.

Lognor

Banned
I would say that the success of XCloud caught these fanboys by surprise, especially considering when the PS Now hasn't make any impact all these years.
What was the problem with PS Now? People who have tried it said it was very usable with limited input lag. But it was a pretty big failure, I'd say. And now with Microsoft getting more and more into cloud it seems like it could actually take off. What's the difference? Why is Microsoft poised to succeed where Sony failed? Not a rhetorical question; I don't know the answer.

Chukhopops

That is the only thing, which holds down xcloud. As long as it's part of gamepass ultimate, most people won't care about it.

MS needs to make it a separate service so that users can subscribe to it.
As long as it’s in beta it won’t be sold as a separate service. Maybe next year if the rumors of a larger rollout are true.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
They’ll be happy to, cloud is what makes them one of the most profitable and richest companies in the world.

This isn’t the future, or life changing tech, no one has said that. People need to realise it just another option, to subsidise the 100s of millions who can’t afford a physical console.

People hate cloud gaming? We get it don’t use it blah blah don’t need 20 pages of dribble comments to hear that. Have plenty of friends in Thailand, SA, Indonesia & Vietnam who would jump at playing next gen games for $9 a month if that’s all it costs.
Oh yes they have.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Got to hand it to Microsoft. They are shaping the gaming landscape and showing everyone else what the future of gaming is. Phil Spencer is like the fucking Da Vinci of gaming!

100% this catches on and catches on fast. No more paying three figure sums for a box to play game. All you'll need is a monthly subscription and a device that has internet access and you'll be able to play any game whenever and wherever you like.

I wouldn't be shocked if this move killed off consoles and dedicated gaming PCs.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Got to hand it to Microsoft. They are shaping the gaming landscape and showing everyone else what the future of gaming is. Phil Spencer is like the fucking Da Vinci of gaming!

100% this catches on and catches on fast. No more paying three figure sums for a box to play game. All you'll need is a monthly subscription and a device that has internet access and you'll be able to play any game whenever and wherever you like.

I wouldn't be shocked if this move killed off consoles and dedicated gaming PCs.
Can't tell if serious or not.

Top Bottom