• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox will bring Game Pass streaming to TVs ‘in the next year’, it’s claimed (VGC)

kingfey

Banned

Microsoft will finally bring Xbox Game Pass streaming directly to TVs and standalone devices in the next year, it’s claimed.

That’s according to a new report by GamesBeat, which claims that, within the next 12 months, Microsoft plans to release an Xbox streaming device similar to an Amazon Fire Stick or a Roku-like puck.

In addition, Microsoft is planning a Samsung TV App which will allow users to stream cloud games direct to their televisions without any additional device, it’s claimed.

The launches are said to be part of the new “Xbox Everywhere” initiative, which this week saw its first free-to-play title in Fortnite.

Microsoft first confirmed plans to bring Xbox cloud gaming to internet-connected TVs last summer. Speaking in June 2021, the company said it was working with global TV manufacturers to embed the Xbox experience directly into internet-connected TVs, and building its own streaming devices.

“Cloud is key to our hardware and Game Pass roadmaps, but no one should think we’re slowing down on our core console engineering. In fact, we’re accelerating it,” Xbox’s experiences and platforms boss Liz Hamren said during a video presentation.

“We’re already hard at work on new hardware and platforms, some of which won’t come to light for years. But even as we build for the future, we’re focused on extending the Xbox experience to more devices today so we can reach more people.

“And many of those devices won’t be built by us. For example, we’re working with global TV manufacturers to embed the Game Pass experience directly into internet-connected TVs, so all you’ll need to play is a controller.

“Beyond that, we’re also developing standalone streaming devices that you can plug into a TV or monitor, so if you have a strong internet connection, you can stream your Xbox experience.”

In the same presentation, Microsoft stated that it was exploring introducing new Xbox Game Pass subscription plans to bring the service to a wider audience.

Microsoft partnered with Samsung to bring Xbox cloud gaming to the electronics company’s products in 2020, and Spencer has previously hinted at plans to bundle Xbox Game Pass with TV streaming sticks.

12Dannu123

Years back, Sony got rid of PS Now functionality from TVs (even their own Bravias), now MS is trying to get it in TVs with Xbox. Interesting.

Because Sony's execution of PSNow at the time was half-baked. Microsoft's solution is a lot more thought out, the only thing they need to improve is the consistency of their service, that can be solved with more data centres and a better codec.

Last edited:
Happy Hailee Steinfeld GIF by Pitch Perfect

kingfey

Banned
PS Now had this in 2014, I doubt that people will bother buying a gamepad to play over the cloud.

Cloud gaming is not being held back by technology at this point, there just no demand for it (as already proven by multiple failed services).
Right, no one wants cloud gaming. Its not like the recent fortnite drop on xcloud, which was free without subscription, didnt affect xbox at all.

Some of you guys, have no idea how the gaming world works.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
This is the 'big move' right?. Sony tried it or at least experimented (beta tested in the past if you will). With PSNow on some Samsung TVs (if I remember correctly) and the Vita TV as well.

So, I have to guess both companies have similar plans with different implementation for the future. It's gonna be interesting how the industry shakes off.

Right, no one wants cloud gaming. Its not like the recent fortnite drop on xcloud, which was free without subscription, didnt affect xbox at all.

Some of you guys, have no idea how the gaming world works.
It's just my opinion. Do you think that them having to make the service available for free helps your point?

Plenty of people like you were absolutely sure about Stadia and it couldn't have flopped harder.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
This is the 'big move' right?. Sony tried it or at least experimented (beta tested in the past if you will). With PSNow on some Samsung TVs (if I remember correctly) and the Vita TV as well.

So, I have to guess both companies have similar plans with different implementation for the future. It's gonna be interesting how the industry shakes off.
Sony didn't have the infrastructure, plus the current technology.

MS is benefiting massively from their Azure cloud, and their data centers.

This helps smooth experience much better than before.

GeForce in 2019 was bad for me. Same with early xcloud beta.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Sony didn't have the infrastructure, plus the current technology.
That's why they bought gaikai.

MS is benefiting massively from their Azure cloud, and their data centers.
Azure is a service/platform that any company can use. There is also Amazon and Gugulu.

This helps smooth experience much better than before.
GeForce in 2019 was bad for me. Same with early xcloud beta.
Well, that's how technology works. (Gets better over time)

kingfey

Banned
It's just my opinion. Do you think that them having to make the service available for free helps your point?
Yes, having a service like that free for f2p games would build up userbase. And it would make xcloud and cloud gaming much more attractive.

Before I bought my good gaming pc, which I have now, I used to play on my laptop. That shit couldn't run gtav properly. So most of my time was spent, playing f2p mmo games, and paid mmo, which my laptop could handle.

Having xcloud, which can run current gen games without no issues, would have helped me alot.

Also, consoles are very expensive. I had to work myself overtime for 2 months, just so I can get $300 ps4 for my little brother. We had to share that console, until I got a job, which paid me $16 an hour.

Not everyone has the money to afford console's.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

This is 'a' move. A/ it's not even official yet and B/ the primary focus will still be the native console hardware for which the games will be created and designed around.

This is just a cheap, cost effective and easily portable means to get the content around.

Yes, having a service like that free for f2p games would build up userbase. And it would make xcloud and cloud gaming much more attractive.

Before I bought my good gaming pc, which I have now, I used to play on my laptop. That shit couldn't run gtav properly. So most of my time was spent, playing f2p mmo games, and paid mmo, which my laptop could handle.

Having xcloud, which can run current gen games without no issues, would have helped me alot.

Also, consoles are very expensive. I had to work myself overtime for 2 months, just so I can get $300 ps4 for my little brother. We had to share that console, until I got a job, which paid me $16 an hour.

Not everyone has the money to afford console's.
Why didn't you play over xCloud then? (or with GeforceNow/Stadia/PSNow)

Why did you buy a console?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
That's why they bought gaikai.

Azure is a service/platform that any company can use. There is also Amazon and Gugulu.

Well, that's how technology works. (Gets better over time)
I would like to thank stadia too for this advancement. Their tech is advanced, that the only thing that is holding them down is Google, and lack of gaming library.

Having big players in the race, means everyone would make their product attractive.

In just 1 year, we saw big changes. And now with Luna in the race, Sony and MS wouldn't rest, until they make psnow/xcloud even better than what it is now.

kingfey

Banned
Why didn't you play over xCloud then? (or with GeforceNow/Stadia/PSNow)

Why did you buy a console?
Because xcloud didn't exist back then. It was only for phones, and beta too.

I played GeForce to play some of my steam games, like the witcher 3.

All that is left is the TV app for xcloud. I might not touch xbox for a while, if that happens.

Because xcloud didn't exist back then. It was only for phones, and beta too.

I played GeForce to play some of my steam games, like the witcher 3.

All that is left is the TV app for xcloud. I might not touch xbox for a while, if that happens.
Sounds like it will go great for MS then.

They'll eat the infrastructure/hardware costs so that people get to play Fortnite a game where MS has no guarantee people will buy items in their store instead of directly from Epic or some other store? What's the next step after that? Paying people to play?

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
This is 'a' move.
It is the big move.

A/ it's not even official yet
So?. Is basically a given. Its going to happen in some way or form .

and B/ the primary focus will still be the native console hardware for which the games will be created and designed around.
Ok? But...didnt MS just launched a division to create native cloud games?....

This is just a cheap, cost effective and easily portable means to get the content around.
For the consumer, not for the companies.

kingfey

Banned
Sounds like it will go great for MS then.
I know you want to channel your inner fanboy with that highlights, but understand this. MS would not give a shit if they sell xbox or not.

They are doing their games day1 on pc. They have gamepass pc day1 for all their games.

As for me, All I care about is playing video games. And if Xcloud allows me to play it for $15 a month, then I will gladly pay for it. I will not be restrained by a console anymore.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I would like to thank stadia too for this advancement. Their tech is advanced, that the only thing that is holding them down is Google, and lack of gaming library.

Having big players in the race, means everyone would make their product attractive.

In just 1 year, we saw big changes. And now with Luna in the race, Sony and MS wouldn't rest, until they make psnow/xcloud even better than what it is now.
Yep. Competition is gonna be fierce.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's a pretty big deal no matter how you slice it. That and Fortnite being available without a subscription means that in the future people will be able to bring their shiny new TV home from the store and start playing games right away - no console needed.

I know you want to channel your inner fanboy with that highlights, but understand this. MS would not give a shit if they sell xbox or not.

They are doing their games day1 on pc. They have gamepass pc day1 for all their games.

As for me, All I care about is playing video games. And if Xcloud allows me to play it for $15 a month, then I will gladly pay for it. I will not be restrained by a console anymore.
Good for you man, I'm glad you enjoy gaming over the cloud so much. No need to call me a fanboy just because I don't like cloud or think it will be successful, Sony has a cloud service too since 2014, nobody ever cared about it, as nobody cared for Stadia and as nobody will care for xCloud most likely (the service has already being launched for a while I am yet to meet a single person that is interested in it).

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
We found the job for that division. Fortnite is what they were working on.

Bringing those games to xcloud would be their job, if we are going by their description.

Its win win for both. Consumers get games, while companies get customers.

MS/Sony/Nintendo make money from hardwares, which customers use. But that hardware is limited, and they cant sell more than 200m.
On other hand, steam proved their model is the best. Users get the system, and Valve will offer them their software. That is where MS is going with Xcloud.

Those TV, and browsers will act as middleman between those gamers, and MS. This way, MS wont need to make xbox console for these consumers. Just offer them the software (Xcloud), and they will have their TV, Pc ready for the service.

The potential revenue from a service like this is unlimited.

Bringing those games to xcloud would be their job, if we are going by their description.

MS/Sony/Nintendo make money from hardwares, which customers use. But that hardware is limited, and they cant sell more than 200m.
On other hand, steam proved their model is the best. Users get the system, and Valve will offer them their software. That is where MS is going with Xcloud.

Those TV, and browsers will act as middleman between those gamers, and MS. This way, MS wont need to make xbox console for these consumers. Just offer them the software (Xcloud), and they will have their TV, Pc ready for the service.

How is xCloud in any way like Steam? Steam is like the complete opposite of xCloud.

Steam: you buys your games, you buy your hardware, you don't have to pay a subscription.
xCloud: you don't buy your games, you don't buy the hardware (well you do have to buy the gamepad and maybe the dongle), you have to pay for the subscription.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Good for you man, I'm glad you enjoy gaming over the cloud so much. No need to call me a fanboy just because I don't like cloud or think it will be successful, Sony has a cloud service too since 2014, nobody ever cared about it, as nobody cared for Stadia and as nobody will care for xCloud most likely (the service has already being launched for a while I am yet to meet a single person that is interested in it).
Problem with Sony cloud is the infrastructure.

So much has changed since 2014. My family used to have 50gb data cap wifi, before moving to 50mb spectrum. Data centers were limited, which meant the experience was bound to be bad.

The current big dogs for these services have big set ups, which Sony cant achieve with their money. Google/amazon/MS have their own cloud infrastructure, which is considered to be the best. Couple that with data centers, and they can eliminate alot of bad experiences. Then you have the money, which they spend investing on this tech.

Nvidia uses their graphic cards, which gives them good experience.

All these stuff, are things which Sony cant compete. Their only option is to have partnership with one of those big 3 companies, to make psnow better.

kingfey

Banned
How is xCloud in any way like Steam? Steam is like the complete opposite of xCloud.
Steam doesnt own a system. Its a software, which you use it to install games.

Users buy their own products, which saves Valve alot of money, and marketing.

Xcloud is a software, which you dont need to buy a console or any product to play it. Bring your own product, and you are good to go. Only thing you buy is the controller, which is cheap to get.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

Ok
It's a win win for both....at least on the superficial level.

MS/Sony/Nintendo make money from hardwares, which customers use.
Not really. At least not at the beginning. (excluding Nintendo)

But that hardware is limited, and they cant sell more than 200m.
That's the console market size.

On other hand, steam proved their model is the best.
Is the best model for valve. But I don't think is best model for anyone else.

Users get the system,
What system?

and Valve will offer them their software. That is where MS is going with Xcloud.
'Their software'?...do you mean steam?

I don't think this analogy can be comparable.

'Unlimited'?....
Mike Myers Evil Laugh GIF

I think some people just like to create castles in the sky. I think the revenue and the growth(consumers) yep, is gonna get bigger but not that big (in the grand scheme of things).

Problem with Sony cloud is the infrastructure.

So much has changed since 2014. My family used to have 50gb data cap wifi, before moving to 50mb spectrum. Data centers were limited, which meant the experience was bound to be bad.

The current big dogs for these services have big set ups, which Sony cant achieve with their money. Google/amazon/MS have their own cloud infrastructure, which is considered to be the best. Couple that with data centers, and they can eliminate alot of bad experiences. Then you have the money, which they spend investing on this tech.

Nvidia uses their graphic cards, which gives them good experience.

All these stuff, are things which Sony cant compete. Their only option is to have partnership with one of those big 3 companies, to make psnow better.

It's like we don't even live in a world where Disney, HBO, Netflix all dominated the movie/TV streaming market despite not being tech companies.

Sony doesn't have the money to compete in the cloud gaming business? Sony didn't have the money to compete against MS in the console business as well and yet here we are. Do you realize that Google/MS/Amazon have all that infrastructure because they sell it to other companies as well right?

Steam doesnt own a system. Its a software, which you use it to install games.

Users buy their own products, which saves Valve alot of money, and marketing.

Xcloud is a software, which you dont need to buy a console or any product to play it. Bring your own product, and you are good to go. Only thing you buy is the controller, which is cheap to get.
boom-mind-blown.gif

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
It's like we don't even live in a world where Disney, HBO, Netflix all dominated the movie/TV streaming market despite not being tech companies.

Sony doesn't have the money to compete in the cloud gaming business? Sony didn't have the money to compete against MS in the console business as well and yet here we are. Do you realize that Google/MS/Amazon have all that infrastructure because they sell it to other companies as well right?
Yep. 'The Sony is so poor' argument is a dumb one.

kingfey

Banned
AWS helps industry leaders like Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Peacock, Discovery+, HULU, and Prime Video reliably deliver, monetize, and support live and on-demand media over the internet, and bring unparalleled experiences to screens everywhere.
Without them, those guys wouldnt be where they are now. Do you think disney can stream movies and tv shows, without any cloud infrastructure?

Sony doesn't have the money to compete in the cloud gaming business?
They dont. They cant build data centers all around the world. How much do you think a single data center cost? Sony doesn't have the necessary money for a infrastructures like that. That is a reality.

Sony didn't have the money to compete against MS in the console business as well and yet here we are.
In just 4 years, MS made gamepass, invested heavily on pc, and xcloud. And look where they are now, compared to xbox one. That is what money does. It opens the door faster, and allows you to access alot of userbase at a faster rate.

Having the resources allows you to jump alot of levels, and skip out the boring process.

If MS goes with this TV xcloud, then they will access to alot of countries, which will access their system, without the need of xbox. Think of how much big impact that will have on gaming space. That is alot of customers. Especially China and India.

Because Sony's execution of PSNow at the time was half-baked. Microsoft's solution is a lot more thought out, the only thing they need to improve is the consistency of their service, that can be solved with more data centres and a better codec.
2014 was almost a decade ago. It's not that it was half baked... it's what they could do back then tbh.

adamsapple

It is the big move.

So?. Is basically a given. Its going to happen in some way or form .

1. Nah
2. Yes, but we're making judgment calls about something that's not even official yet.
3. They have a lot more studios that don't make cloud games.
4. Who cares about the company here, they've got the money to spend. What matters is how cheap and cost effective it is for the end user.

kingfey

Banned
Is the best model for valve. But I don't think is best model for anyone else.
Its is for everyone.
Having access to users who have their own product, will save them alot of money, which otherwise would have went to marketing and production.

What system?
PC for steam.
TV, Phone, tablet, laptop, pc for xcloud.

'Their software'?...do you mean steam?

I don't think this analogy can be comparable.
Both offer the same thing, but different model. They offer you games.
Steam is just buying the games, which you can download on your pc, while xcloud is all xbox 1st party games, and selection of 3rd party games for a subscription.

I think some people just like to create castles in the sky. I think the revenue and the growth(consumers) yep, is gonna get bigger but not that big (in the grand scheme of things).
Its gonna get bigger than what the current market has. Not that much unlimited though (Old people exist).

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
1.yah.
2. Yes, but we're making judgment calls about something that's not even official yet.
It's gonna happen bro....has been happening
3. They have a lot more studios that don't make cloud games.
So?. Do you realize the the 'cloud' is not magic right?. The hardware exist in some data center.
4. Who cares about the company here, they've got the money to spend. What matters is how cheap and cost effective it is for the end user.
That's what I am saying.

Without them, those guys wouldnt be where they are now. Do you think disney can stream movies and tv shows, without any cloud infrastructure?

They dont. They cant build data centers all around the world. How much do you think a single data center cost? Sony doesn't have the necessary money for a infrastructures like that. That is a reality.
Are you pretending to not understand or do you honestly believe this nonsense? Content is a lot more important than who runs the cloud servers, the entire reason of why services like Azure or AWS are build are so that other companies can use them as well.

Do you also think that data centers have no cost to MS?

Why didn't Mixer dominate the video market again? Why isn't MS dominating the movie/TV/music subscription markets if all that matter is to have the cloud infrastructure? Did Stadia fail because Google lacked money to build the cloud infrastructure?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Nah. This isn't something that's gonna become their big thing for at least another generation or two. Right now this will just be a companion piece to the current model/service.

It's gonna happen bro....has been happening

ok

So?. Do you realize the the 'cloud' is not magic right?. The hardware exist in some data center.

Them starting one studio to focus on cloud games does not mean a pivot in game development model. Also third parties which make up most of the game output on all consoles.

That's what I am saying.

cool, I'm not really the kind who cares how the billion dollar corporations are making ends meet in the console market, I'm only focused on the end user point of view and how good it is for them.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Nah. This isn't something that's gonna become their big thing for at least another generation or two. Right now this will just be a companion piece to the current model/service.
No one is saying is going to be something sudden. Is going to take years. Even decades.
Them starting one studio to focus on cloud games does not mean a pivot in game development model. Also third parties which make up most of the game output on all consoles.
So?. You were the one saying that they were not going to design a game around cloud.

Cool, I'm not really the kind who cares how the billion dollar corporations are making ends meet in the console market, I'm only focused on the end user point of view and how good it is for them.
Mmm Nah. You care enough to be here bro.

If you really ONLY care about what's good for consumers...(wich is the correct POV by the way) you still need to be aware of everything around it. Because all of those things have an impact to the end-user.

adamsapple

So?. You were the one saying that they were not going to design a game around cloud.

One studio, that's just been christened and we don't know if they're making anything yet, is not the pivot that you're thinking it is.
Mmm Nah. You care enough to be here bro.

If you really ONLY care about what's good for consumers...(wich is the correct POV by the way) you still need to be aware of everything around it. Because all of those things have an impact to the end-user.

I'm sure Microsoft will be alright financially if they're selling the cloud stick/puck at a loss. I don't care when people comment things like "Good for consumer but not the company". That's not our concern.

Schmick

Yep, which is why PS Now for PC is pretty damn good. From my point of view I have no desire to buy a PS5 because of PS Now for PC and with the latest announcements from Sony stating that PS5 games we be added to the service, the service is only getting better. And this is all thanks to Azure. Without the Sony and MS partnership I don't think PS Now would be as good as it is for me right now.

So upon reflection, PS Now has improved overtime which only proves its possible for further improvement and that streaming will be a viable method of gaming along with all the conventional ways of doing the same thing.

Furthermore, I've been patiently waiting for something like a MS xCloud puck or TV app so that I can finally let my Xbox One go. For me, just like PS Now for PC, xCloud works really well.

Last edited:
In just 4 years, MS made gamepass, invested heavily on pc, and xcloud. And look where they are now, compared to xbox one. That is what money does. It opens the door faster, and allows you to access alot of userbase at a faster rate.
It's funny, that all they had to do was to spend a massive amount of money and now before anything actually came out of it it's already seen as such a massive success. Same goes for xCloud, it doesn't actually need to achieve anything it's already a massive success by default just because they own Azure or something... complete nonsense.

The Xbox One actually sold really well for a while before it lost it's pace, it is still too soon to say that the Series S/X will improve that much over what the Xbox One was able to do. Gamepass is still behind both Sony's and Nintendo's gaming subscription services by a good margin. Every MS game has been releasing on PC for much longer than 4 years now (their PC store is still pretty much irrelevant on the PC space to the point where they had to start releasing their games on Steam and giving Valve a cut of every sale). xCloud has been release already for some time and it's hardly made any waves.

You can believe whatever you want, most of the things you are saying don't make any sense, I won't go any further with this unproductive discussion.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
One studio, that's just been christened and we don't know if they're making anything yet, is not the pivot that you're thinking it is.
Again....is not gonna be over night. And the big move is not about making games with cloud in mind as Super Mega Massive Persistent World or whatever. Is about lower the barrier of entry to gaming/and expanding the market beyond a console

I'm sure Microsoft will be alright financially
WAT? Where does that come from?

if they're selling the cloud stick/puck at a loss
Unexpected U Turn Makes A Mess GIF by ViralHog

Your logic just made a u turn bro.
. I don't care when people comment things like "Good for consumer but not the company". That's not our concern.
Ok?........

kingfey

Banned
Right there. The contradiction. I get what you are saying but it's weird how you are saying it.
That is not contradiction. Both offer the same thing. A service or a software, which you as a customer use their games on.
Without steam or xcloud software, you wont be able to access it. Without your system, they wont be able to connect with you.

The product is the after thought.

I wasn't the one using the word 'unlimited'.
Unlimited, as in there is too much potential to reach wider audience. Only thing that holds them down, is their support for these regions. Everyone in the world has a tv. That is the untapped market.

Top Bottom