• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox will bring Game Pass streaming to TVs ‘in the next year’, it’s claimed (VGC)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Got to hand it to Microsoft. They are shaping the gaming landscape and showing everyone else what the future of gaming is. Phil Spencer is like the fucking Da Vinci of gaming!

100% this catches on and catches on fast. No more paying three figure sums for a box to play game. All you'll need is a monthly subscription and a device that has internet access and you'll be able to play any game whenever and wherever you like.

I wouldn't be shocked if this move killed off consoles and dedicated gaming PCs.

Maybe consoles but definitely no PC, since PC is bigger than gaming.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Not that many people care about cloud gaming. GeForce Now and Psnow aren't setting the world on fire right now, Stadia flopped. There's no reason why it would be different with Xcloud.

People who care about console or PC gaming generally also prefer local gaming.

Cloud gaming doesn't really extend gaming population either. That part depends on creating new kinds of content, not on the way you play games. Most people who are interested in MS games already have a Xbox right now. After all, a Series S is cheap and it has the bonus of playing games locally.

There's no huge magical reserve of players waiting for cloud gaming to enter the market. That's what Google, Nvidia and Sony acknowledged a long time ago.
Apparently, GeForce Now is quite successful:
And we all know Game Pass is a huge success with 25M+ subscribers.

It's only Stadia with it's 10 or so members and PS Now with only 3M subs that are flops, so it's 50/50 success to failures.

Ozriel

M$FT
The streaming is still worse than Stadia was 3 years ago. More latency, more stutter, lower resolution. The thing it does better is the games library. But like I said PS Now already tried that approach years ago. It’s not enough.

And you say 2-3 years from now. It’s too late. The slow evolution of the tech makes people try it when it’s bad only to never return. Once they have the streaming tech working properly for people outside of the US, or wherever it’s supposedly working, it’ll be behind on the server hardware.

That’s another thing repeating from the past, Stadia was ahead at first, had some 60fps games when XB1/PS4 had games running at 30fps, then next gen happened and the promised Stadia hardware upgrades never happened.

Why aren’t MS using PC hardware? They already have PC versions for all their 1st party games and know how to do cloud saves.
Just do it like Geforce Now but skip the janky UI and 2-factor authentification mess.

Why would they use PC hardware? more expensive, parts shortages and much smaller library. What benefit would PC hardware bring, anyway?

The Series X hardware is capable enough. They’ll keep working at their software stack and at data center proliferation.

So the "TV TV TV" strategy is back?

What were you thinking when you made this post?
It’s Xboxes in the cloud, streaming xbox games to multiple devices

You don’t play your console hooked up to TVs? 😂

PhaseJump

Banned
Got to hand it to Microsoft. They are shaping the gaming landscape and showing everyone else what the future of gaming is. Phil Spencer is like the fucking Da Vinci of gaming!

100% this catches on and catches on fast. No more paying three figure sums for a box to play game. All you'll need is a monthly subscription and a device that has internet access and you'll be able to play any game whenever and wherever you like.

I wouldn't be shocked if this move killed off consoles and dedicated gaming PCs.
nicholas-cage-funny.gif

Fredrik

The people who have problems, are those who are far away from the data centers.

Why do you think xbox is having network issues? It's because too many people played fortnite on xcloud, which caused their infrastructure tons of issues.
That’s a serious problem and not as easily fixed as you think. I have great internet with no data caps but xcloud don’t work as well as Geforce Now and Stadia for me. That’s my main issue and it’s a big one. How do they fix this? Build new data centers close to all cities in the world? That’ll cost and it’ll take time. I just feel like they’re behind.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
What was the problem with PS Now? People who have tried it said it was very usable with limited input lag. But it was a pretty big failure, I'd say. And now with Microsoft getting more and more into cloud it seems like it could actually take off. What's the difference? Why is Microsoft poised to succeed where Sony failed? Not a rhetorical question; I don't know the answer.

the problem, with PSnow was the low subsciber base

I have the puck upstairs and am interested to see how it would work in the future

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
That’s a serious problem and not as easily fixed as you think. I have great internet with no data caps but xcloud don’t work as well as Geforce Now and Stadia for me. That’s my main issue and it’s a big one. How do they fix this? Build new data centers close to all cities in the world? That’ll cost and it’ll take time. I just feel like they’re behind.
You are just far away from the data centers from those systems.
People with bad internet would have better connection than you, if they are close to the data centers.

MS is building alot of data centers in major cities. This isn't just for cloud gaming, they are also expanding their Azure.

Once enough data centers are around the world, the experience would be smooth.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
That is pretty crazy is if all you need is a subscription and a controller to play Game pass on any smart tv. Almost any tv made in the last 5 years has smart features. That is serious fire power.

M16

Cloud is the way to play for the casual crowd right now. In the near future, everything will be cloud. It's already so good right now.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Again, I'll take your world for it but that is not the impression I had in any way. I'm not saying that the "internet" wanted Stadia to succeed (that is pretty much my point, that the people that actually care about this games don't want to play over the cloud) but the expectation was that it was a big move buy, by a big player, pushing thing in the "inevitable cloud future".

Some people were all hyped up for xCloud release, we see it in this very thread, said how it makes console sales irrelevant, etc and yet Gamepass (a service that is required for xCloud) last number was just 25m. 25m for Cloud+PC+Xbox, extremely unimpressive numbers.

Again, it has already released for Xbox (including Xbox One), browsers, phones, PC and now people are pretending that releasing for TV is going to be this huge things, it will probably go pretty much unnoticed like everything so far. But than again, just because I was right every single time so far when saying people don't care about cloud gaming doesn't mean I can't be wrong, we'll see. I'll admit if I'm proven wrong I just hope you guys will do the same and not move the goal post again.
I’m not for or against the cloud argument. I don’t really care. I’m not going to move any goalposts. I just merely mentioned your statement was in stark contrast to the majority at the time.

I look at cloud gaming as just another option for some people. That’s it.

kingfey

Banned
I look at cloud gaming as just another option for some people. That’s it
That is what cloud gaming essentially is.
If you are solely a console player, you wont care about this feature, unless it has the games you want to play.
If you are someone who can't afford consoles, and want to play console games, then cloud gaming would be perfect system for you.
If you are someone who travels alot, and can't take your consoles to your trip, then cloud gaming would meet your needs.

spons

Gold Member
I tried it on the Google TV Chromecast through sideloading but XCloud and console streaming ran like ass most of the time. Oddly enough, when it did run well, it also ran flawlessly for the entire session. The home screen of the app ran extremely slow though.

Ozriel

M$FT
I tried it on the Google TV Chromecast through sideloading but XCloud and console streaming ran like ass most of the time. Oddly enough, when it did run well, it also ran flawlessly for the entire session. The home screen of the app ran extremely slow though.

If local console streaming is running poorly, surely that’s an indicator that it’s your network that’s the bottleneck?

CS Lurker

I have no idea how many potential customers are there for cloud gaming, but from my personal experience I see many friends in South America that are playing games for the first time through GeForce now and xcloud. I know that the first month of xcloud in Brazil had so much demand that most people couldn't play it. MS had to quickly deploy more blades to keep up with the demand. GeForce Now in SA isn't available to subscribe because the demand is too big, and they can't expand the infrastructure as fast to meet it.

I think many people from first world countries just can't see the big picture here. They have no idea how hard it can be to buy a gaming hardware in countries with weak economy. Many just can't justify the commitment it takes only to play 3 or 4 games they want.

But the difficult to visualize it isn't a exclusivity from first world residents; even people living in these places but that have easy access to gaming say cloud gaming is garbage and shouldn't exist. "If I can easily have it, I can't see any problem here"... I think it must be something like this.

Anyway, of course it's just my personal view considering all the people I know from less blessed countries. Like I said in the beginning, I have no idea how many new players are there, just waiting for an affordable opportunity to try games (Microsoft say billions (personally I don't think so), but just time will tell). But what I know is that some are having this opportunity right now and they couldn't be happier. For me that's what matter. Playing with friends using their cheap phones, that's it.

kingfey

Banned
I think many people from first world countries just can't see the big picture here. They have no idea how hard it can be to buy a gaming hardware in countries with weak economy. Many just can't justify the commitment it takes only to play 3 or 4 games they want.
That is the only reason why people here are against those cloud gaming. Because it's easy for them to get those stuff, they won't understand the need for them.
People like them, have no rights to speak for gamers. Especially, when they keep talking about their $1k tvs.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I have no idea how many potential customers are there for cloud gaming, but from my personal experience I see many friends in South America that are playing games for the first time through GeForce now and xcloud. I know that the first month of xcloud in Brazil had so much demand that most people couldn't play it. MS had to quickly deploy more blades to keep up with the demand. GeForce Now in SA isn't available to subscribe because the demand is too big, and they can't expand the infrastructure as fast to meet it.

But the difficult to visualize it isn't a exclusivity from first world residents; even people living in these places but that have easy access to gaming say cloud gaming is garbage and shouldn't exist. "If I can easily have it, I can't see any problem here"... I think it must be something like this.

Anyway, of course it's just my personal view considering all the people I know from less blessed countries. Like I said in the beginning, I have no idea how many new players are there, just waiting for an affordable opportunity to try games (Microsoft say billions (personally I don't think so), but just time will tell). But what I know is that some are having this opportunity right now and they couldn't be happier. For me that's what matter. Playing with friends using their cheap phones, that's it.

Indeed. It allow many players to bypass the barrier of owning a console to play console games, which saves a bunch of money and space.

Its also the reason why so many console fans are against it. They are worry that this threatens the existence of game consoles.

BreakOut

I’ve been saying this for a while. I don’t even think they’re going to make hardware within the next 5-10 years. Just game pass on delivery service. X cloud or whatever. Xbox game pass Roku stick. Although I would totally be in for it.

12Dannu123

Agreed, consoles and PC rigs even at the cheap price is a big investment if they want to play 2-4 games. If they don't want to spend that money, Cloud gaming makes sense.

Indeed. It allow many players to bypass the barrier of owning a console to play console games, which saves a bunch of money and space.

Its also the reason why so many console fans are against it. They are worry that this threatens the existence of game consoles.
That is also because console warriors are scared that it tilts the balance of power into Microsoft's hands. These are the same people who are against Game Pass and large publisher acquisitions by MS.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Agreed, consoles and PC rigs even at the cheap price is a big investment if they want to play 2-4 games. If they don't want to spend that money, Cloud gaming makes sense.
PC makes sense, since you can get them everywhere. But not consoles. They are limited by the platform holder.
For example, you cant get enough xbox's in japan, because of the limited sales.

That is also because console warriors are scared that it tilts the balance of power into Microsoft's hands. These are the same people who are against Game Pass and large publisher acquisitions by MS.
I honestly dont understand this point. These companies dont care about us. They see us as numbers, who buy their product. Our cheering means nothing to them.
They have millions of gullible people who buy their products. They dont need your shout at all. All you are doing, is giving them free advertisement. That is what fanboys are good at for these companies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's not even a console brand kind of thing for many people. For some it's any console brand. Some console gamers have a giant avoidance for PC or cloud.

They are afraid if streaming takes off too much their plastic box disappears.

One thing too which is hilarious is the whole sales part. Many console supporters brag about have giant game sales.

If streaming becomes big across all platforms, it may actually outsell the number of copies if compared against one platform. Some gamers may still buy the game if they are allowed to and just play it on many devices. It can happen. Or tons of people play it, but since there's no official sales tally, there's nothing to brag about.

But if it did happen, suddenly sales arent so important anymore because they dont want to bring up some of the sales came from other platforms.

I'll give an example. MLB The Show 21 (last years game) came out on Xbox (disc and Game Pass). Sony announced months later they achieved 4 million gamers across 2M+ copies sold. This series historically sells about 1M copies on PS systems.

So in a handful of months (middle of the baseball season), they already sold double the copies, and with GP gamers the overall player pool 4x itself from 1M to 4M player.

Never heard one fanboy bring up MLB player growth grew +300%.

Last edited:

MScarpa

A Gamepass thread where the people who don't have Gamepass or an Xbox tell you how terrible it all is. Shocking 😂

With that said I enjoy the options to stream. So does my family. I stream almost every day at some point, Or i just hand my little girl a phone with a kishi and she's ecstatic. It's a fantastic option.

Schmick

I don't understand this theory that streaming will replace local hardware. Be it in 5 years or 10 years in the future. How crazy are you to think that? In fact anyone who thinks that I'll consider you just as mad as those people who believe the planet is flat.

It's just not going to happen. Firstly because Phil Spencer said so and secondly, the uproar from not just gamers but from manufacturers of consoles and PC components.

What would be the sales lost if streaming replaced conventional means?!

What streaming is, is a way for gamers to plays games that will coexist with conventional gaming.

MonarchJT

Banned
I don't understand this theory that streaming will replace local hardware. Be it in 5 years or 10 years in the future. How crazy are you to think that? In fact anyone who thinks that I'll consider you just as mad as those people who believe the planet is flat.

It's just not going to happen. Firstly because Phil Spencer said so and secondly, the uproar from not just gamers but from manufacturers of consoles and PC components.

What would be the sales lost if streaming replaced conventional means?!

What streaming is, is a way for gamers to plays games that will coexist with conventional gaming.
you mean main manufactorers of PC gaming GPU like Nvidia owner of the incredibile successful gaming streaming service as GeForce now with 14m of users?
As i said millions times streaming will become the norm for casuals to access games ..... enthusiasts will still buy more capable state-of-the-art machines.
Streaming will grow a lot in the next 10 years is inevitable

Last edited:

TheMan

I’m curious. Onlive was too ahead of its time and the stadia business model was trash. With MS sub model and their streaming tech, they have the best chance out of anyone to make it stick this time

Top Bottom