• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Poises to Avoid Current Gen Marketing Mistakes.

JLB

Banned
Marketing was the main issue with current gen for Xbox. Games, hardware and others are neglectable in comparisson.
Sony is leagues ahead of MS -and pretty much any other company in the world right now- in terms of marketing. Although its no longer the same crazy, innovate as it was during the 90s/00s on this regard.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Right?? I read his question and was baffled! Sony depends on Playstation as pretty much their bread and butter. Same with Nintendo. Microsoft is the biggest tech company in the world and a trillion dollar company. Sony and Nintendo could only dream of bolstering such claims. They arent even close when taking everything into account.
Microsoft being as wealthy as they are and Sony still putting more money into their games than MS for all of these years, makes me appreciate Sony more tbh

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Microsoft being as wealthy as they are and Sony still putting more money into their games than MS for all of these years, makes me appreciate Sony more tbh
Thats not really relevant to what I said though. Microsoft could buy Sony and Nintendo put together was my point. For a while there, Microsoft barely made an investment into Xbox back in the day. That's no longer the case, as we can now see.

Gavon West

You can hire the best marketing genius in the world, but if the must-have games are not there, or are all on PC, you'll lose.
You're like a flat Earth kind of person arent you? Lol.

Guess you should reach out to Sony on that end. They're going down the same route.

No offense, but one marketing hire will not shift the entire platform.

I do think that Xbox is entering into a better position this next generation.

Microsoft needs to expand their market into more countries and provide better language support. I guess we shall see how things play out.

Hobbygaming

Thats not really relevant to what I said though. Microsoft could buy Sony and Nintendo put together was my point. For a while there, Microsoft barely made an investment into Xbox back in the day. That's no longer the case, as we can now see.
But they won't buy Sony or Nintendo. Also we'll have to see if they have truly changed it's too early to tell

DanielsM

Banned
You must be trolling, right? Your list is ridiculous. There are even things in there that weren't developed under current MGMT "pie_tears_joy:

It's obvious you're just hating on Microsoft for some weird insecurity reason. So good luck with that, but I'm not participating.

Trolling Microsoft goofy and silly PR, absolutely, that never seems to stop, meaning their outright stupid PR. Some of this is revisionist history to such a degree its almost too easy to troll.
Of course, you're not participating... that's the problem... nobody is participating. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm not the one making up revisions to history buddy.

Your list is ridiculous.

My list? That's Microsoft's list. I had nothing to do with those things. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Why in the hell would someone copy the Xbox 360, it was a massive financial failure which is why investors including Bill Gates wanted to get rid of it.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
You can hire the best marketing genius in the world, but if the must-have games are not there, or are all on PC, you'll lose.

IF they were just to resume being a traditional large publisher than having games or good games would be all they need, generally speaking. Satya doesn't want good games, he wants services i.e. Microsoft to be a middleman for something. The problem with that is outside of the closed hardware, nobody including other publishers, developers or users want anything to do with Microsoft - especially considering there isn't any reason to have a middleman.

Its like when they tried to get PC users to pay for Xbox Live Gold for Games for Windows Live games - delusional comes to mind.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Marketing mistakes?

Iā€™d rather see them trying to avoid the actual mistakes instead of trying to avoid making mistakes at selling the mistakes!!!!! goddamnit!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes to me its not necessarily to be mistake free, but its about "execution" or lack of execution.

I mean there isn't anything wrong with the idea of competing with Valve with Games for Windows Live, but the problem is.... unable to execute. Than instead of competing, they destroy that store and all the relationships that go with it with publishers, developers and the user public.... repeat the same thing with the Microsoft Store.

The mistake is not even competing and executing, not one particular thing.

Sony fans are so worried it's getting very funny.

Not sure why you think its a Sony thing, obviously the are wanting something more i.e. they've always failed at competing with all the software game companies, whether its Valve with digital distribution, Sony/Nintendo with hardware on the console side, etc. Its like someone making comment why Microsoft's Windows Phone strategy isn't going to work, and you making a comment Apple/Google fans are worried. (sounds like projection, just saying)

Console warz are over bro.

Really what MS magically wants is everyone's gaming business i.e. Valve, Sony, Nintendo, etc.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sometimes to me its not necessarily to be mistake free, but its about "execution" or lack of execution.

I mean there isn't anything wrong with the idea of competing with Valve with Games for Windows Live, but the problem is.... unable to execute. Than instead of competing, they destroy that store and all the relationships that go with it with publishers, developers and the user public.... repeat the same thing with the Microsoft Store.

The mistake is not even competing and executing, not one particular thing.

Not sure why you think its a Sony thing, obviously the are wanting something more i.e. they've always failed at competing with all the software game companies, whether its Valve with digital distribution, Sony/Nintendo with hardware on the console side, etc. Its like someone making comment why Microsoft's Windows Phone strategy isn't going to work, and you making a comment Apple/Google fans are worried. (sounds like projection, just saying)

Console warz are over bro.
Did you fail to read the actual post I was quoting?

Grinchy

Banned
If this guy is the one who came up with the brilliant PR spin about how Xbox is consumer-friendly by making all of its next-gen games playable on last-gen for a year then MS is in good hands. You don't often see PR spin work so incredibly.

That ain't gonna help shit. Let's be real. The 360 was a fluke and still sold less then the ps3 despite being on the market longer. The only way microsoft gets this is if Sony fucks up massively again, delays it a year plus and goes 599. But even now, 599 might not be a deal breaker anymore with phones going to 1-2k every year or two. Don't get hyped unless Microsoft is giving their console away compared to Sony.

DanielsM

Banned
That ain't gonna help shit. Let's be real. The 360 was a fluke and still sold less then the ps3 despite being on the market longer. The only way microsoft gets this is if Sony fucks up massively again, delays it a year plus and goes 599. But even now, 599 might not be a deal breaker anymore with phones going to 1-2k every year or two. Don't get hyped unless Microsoft is giving their console away compared to Sony.

Even giving them away probably wouldn't help much, imo, they did this with Windows Phone and sales continued to go down. They weren't moving iOS and Android users, its like trying to move a Steam user.... very tough at this stage, imo.

Its all about cloud services to Satya, not about the hardware. If Phil doesn't figure out a place to put services (multi-platforms) and get subscribers the axe man cometh eventually..... the only real way is game streaming which nobody is really asking for and for obvious reasons.

Multiple mistakes, calculations and assumption made by Microsoft including Nadella, see above.

"There are 2 billion people who play video games on the planet today. We're not going to sell 2 billion consoles,"

True Phil, but those 2 billion people are already getting games without you.... and nobody needs you to give it to them.... nor are they forced to use you as they are either open systems or systems not controlled by you.

Hey Phil, 1 billion PCs have the MS store installed, yet, you probably don't sell too many games on there. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Completely flawed logic.

Last edited:

Gavon West

This is what I mean when I say "in yo feelings!" This dude gave no fucks if he sounded like he at least gave a response based in reality. Nope! Fuck reality! Lmao

stitch1

Xbox is at least attempting to right the ship. Can't hate of them for that. Will the PS5 out sell the XSX? Probably. Sony, has a much larger global presence. But Xbox is at least becoming relevant again. This is good for the industry. Rising tides lifts all ships.

DanielsM

Banned
Xbox is at least attempting to right the ship. Can't hate of them for that. Will the PS5 out sell the XSX? Probably. Sony, has a much larger global presence. But Xbox is at least becoming relevant again. This is good for the industry. Rising tides lifts all ships.

Imo, they are trying to change the ship (not righting the ship, if they wanted to right the ship... compete) if they were actually competing they wouldn't have to change the ship. Really more about Valve (other digital distributors) than it is Sony and Nintendo.

The console war is over. This is about being a middleman everywhere but the problem with that is many, too many to count... let Nadella dream a little longer.

Last edited:
Wasn't a marketing issue, it was Microsoft not training their staff and PR team, which both failed to explain and defend ther old policies when people grabbed the pitch forks.

DanielsM

Banned
Wasn't a marketing issue, it was Microsoft not training their staff and PR team, which both failed to explain and defend ther old policies when people grabbed the pitch forks.

Oh I think everyone knew, that was the problem... further explaining something everyone knew wasn't going to help. They tried to defend the Kinect until the day Phil decided to can it and go back on his words.... which was years later.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Their policies were bad though. Internet check ins would be a no-buy for me

Hobbygaming

Wha?? Too early to tell? Are you serious? Genuine question....
Yes I am serious and the reason is the future service strategy... will MS start focusing more on filler content with the occasional AAA games

Also Mike Ibarra who still worked at Microsoft just months prior, says nothing has changed at Microsoft as far as the way their gaming division is ran. He is someone who would've definitely known this information too

Last edited:

CrisPy2019

Please don't repeat last gens marketing mistake.

WiiU what is that? A tablet add-on for Wii?
Is that a console?

Xbox Series x what is that? Is it a Xbox one X?
Is it an upgrade? A new console?

99% of humans are beyond stupid. We will know but average Joe will have a headache understanding.
(Putting coins in power outlets can hurt you? Who would have thought!)

Gavon West

Yes I am serious and the reason is the future service strategy... will MS start focusing more on filler content with the occasional AAA games

Also Mike Ibarra who still worked at Microsoft just months prior, says nothing has changed at Microsoft as far as the way their gaming division is ran. He is someone who would've definitely known this information too
We know alot has changed over at Xbox just over the last couple of years! Xbox one X was just the start, followed by Gamepass and then the studio acquisitions ams finally, Xcloud and the upcoming Series X. Devs have stated ad nauseum that they are left alone to do what they wanna do. And Phil is the head of Xbox with a seat at the round table. Much, MUCH has changed! I don't give a shit what Mike says. Another change is he is no longer there at Microsoft. No offense, but fuck Mike. Lol

These are changes we can actually see and have taken place. The Xbox division is MUCH stronger than its ever been.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Ps5 still gonna dominate them. More games, better name and 100mil passionate and satisfied PS4 owners gives them the edge.

This reads like you're twelve years old. Strive to be better in the future.

Here's a bold take:
Sony's gonna sell a bunch of consoles and games.
Microsoft's gonna sell a bunch of consoles and games.
Nintendo's gonna sell a bunch of consoles and games.
PC Games are gonna continue to sell gangbusters.
Mobile games will continue to be a success.
Virtual Reality will steadily increase in adoption.

Everybody's gonna be successful, make great software, and there will be more games that you want to play than you'll feasibly have the time to. This is best time ever to be playing videogames.

This fucking tribalism needs to stay in 1995.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
DanielsM once again polluting a thread with his weird pseudo-marketing nonsense about servitisation strategies. It's just fucking bizarre. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

The irony the pseudo marketing nonsense is the cringe Phil said stuff that comes out on an almost daily basis.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I tell you what, if Satya isn't the cloud services boy... he sure has been lying a ton.

You sound exactly like the Windows Phone user from 2015-2016, literally they would attack anyone that hinted that was over, even after Microsoft said it was over.... they still attack to this day like its coming back.
Phil better actually come up with a plan for services real fucking quick.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

We know alot has changed over at Xbox just over the last couple of years! Xbox one X was just the start, followed by Gamepass and then the studio acquisitions ams finally, Xcloud and the upcoming Series X. Devs have stated ad nauseum that they are left alone to do what they wanna do. And Phil is the head of Xbox with a seat at the round table. Much, MUCH has changed! I don't give a shit what Mike says. Another change is he is no longer there at Microsoft. No offense, but fuck Mike. Lol

These are changes we can actually see and have taken place. The Xbox division is MUCH stronger than its ever been.
Idk about that it's still too early IMO and Mike Ybarra would know more than me and you. We won't know anything until more games from the new studios start releasing

-Troid-

Banned
Every next gen thread be derailing into

TxeEOJj.gif

The decisions they've made since Ballmer left, and what effect this had on the company... The products they release, their cloud infrastructure, and all of it is reflected in their stock price. It's the biggest tech company in the world...
By that argument, Google's Stadia should be dominating by now. If Stock Price that doesn't even reflect gaming product performance is your metric, you are not very good at judging a company's performance.

Maybe you should buy a Stadia?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
By that argument, Google's Stadia should be dominating by now. If Stock Price that doesn't even reflect gaming product performance is your metric, you are not very good at judging a company's performance.

Maybe you should buy a Stadia?
It's a whole new product in a completely new market, that's not really comparable

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
None the less, from a company with a high share price. And thus allegedly meant it is infallible.
I didn't mean that decisions made by Phil Spencer are infallible. What I meant was that the strategy for the Xbox division isn't complete shit and that it doesn't make any sense, otherwise Phil wouldn't have been able to sell it to the Microsoft Board.

You might feel that they are going in the wrong direction, but that doesn't mean that this is actually the case. And when people are talking in superlatives and certainties, they shouldn't be surprised to be called out. Just like you did to me, because you thought that I meant that big companies' decisions are infallible.

RPS37

I donā€™t now if it would work, but maybe they could do it like the iph9ne model.
Maybe make games only work on XboneX and higher?

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Yup. Almost every thread has been derailed since the "leaks". Special Olympics at its finest.

Yup. Which is why I always roll my eyes when mods chase me down to tell this is not SonyGAF.

This could be a thread where we actually discuss who this guy is; what his marketing strategy was for 360; and what it might be for Series Xā€”but those topics will never be touched because of what this place is now.

Instead of mods running into silence those of us calling it out they should sack up and take some corrective action.

Thread after thread and everyone is expected to play along. Sorry not happening.

FÄ«at jÅ«stitia ruat cƦlum.

Top Bottom