• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S/Lockhart Will Be Half The Price Of The Series X

ZywyPL

Banned
The amount of people that would buy a console and only spend £10-20 on gamepass here and there is going to be so ludicrously small it's irrelevant. Don't forget that you don't keep the games when your sub expires. I would imagine microsoft have looked at the figures they have for gamepass and software attach rates and have worked out how much they can subsidise each console by and how long it will take to recoup that cost.

We have yet to see how this grand plan will turn out, but seeing how Netflix is consistently growing in popularity, and compare it to how much BD movies sale, I tend to believe GP has a great chance to work out, especially if 199-249$ turns out to be true. People will just treat it like the mentioned Netflix, Spotify, YT etc. or simply television, where they will boot up the console occasionally and check what's currently available to play, while still being able to buy the games seperately. Most people aren't attached to the media they consume, at all, they live in the now, not in the past, they watch/listen/play stuff today and never go back, no sane person ever gives a fuck like "but I payed 40$ for that game 20 years ago, I still own it, it's mine!", paranoids like that are basically non-existent in the grand scheme of things, times are moving on, changing, for the better or worse, and dinosaurs who cannot accept the changes are left behind. I look at all the youngsters today, who are basically born with smartphones attached to their hands, and I wonder, how could anyone convince them to spend quite a chunk of money, for something they don't even know they want or will like it, only to collect the dust later on anyway? That's the power of monthly fees, you can try everything without any penalty, if you won't like a particular game, that's fine, you didn't lose 60$ just like that, you don't have to bother now to sell it, but if you find something that's completely up to your taste, you can spend all the time you want on it. But like I said, it will take at least half a decade to see whether the strategy is indeed working or not, 10 years from now all of the today's youngsters will be the dominant audience for video games, this will be when we will be able to tell if.how different video games to other media. But that's why MS if offering the standard model as well, as oppose to Stadia which failed miserably on every possible aspect.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
We have yet to see how this grand plan will turn out, but seeing how Netflix is consistently growing in popularity, and compare it to how much BD movies sale, I tend to believe GP has a great chance to work out, especially if 199-249$ turns out to be true. People will just treat it like the mentioned Netflix, Spotify, YT etc. or simply television, where they will boot up the console occasionally and check what's currently available to play, while still being able to buy the games seperately. Most people aren't attached to the media they consume, at all, they live in the now, not in the past, they watch/listen/play stuff today and never go back, no sane person ever gives a fuck like "but I payed 40$ for that game 20 years ago, I still own it, it's mine!", paranoids like that are basically non-existent in the grand scheme of things, times are moving on, changing, for the better or worse, and dinosaurs who cannot accept the changes are left behind. I look at all the youngsters today, who are basically born with smartphones attached to their hands, and I wonder, how could anyone convince them to spend quite a chunk of money, for something they don't even know they want or will like it, only to collect the dust later on anyway? That's the power of monthly fees, you can try everything without any penalty, if you won't like a particular game, that's fine, you didn't lose 60$ just like that, you don't have to bother now to sell it, but if you find something that's completely up to your taste, you can spend all the time you want on it. But like I said, it will take at least half a decade to see whether the strategy is indeed working or not, 10 years from now all of the today's youngsters will be the dominant audience for video games, this will be when we will be able to tell if.how different video games to other media. But that's why MS if offering the standard model as well, as oppose to Stadia which failed miserably on every possible aspect.

Its not just Youngsters, everyone 50ish and under likes Subscriptions.

Leyasu

Banned
More fan fiction to go with the first party game every other month.

That was pretty stupid.

But, twelve studios all on 3 yr dev cycles could put out a AAA game every 3 months. Microsoft have a few more than that, but Mojang aint really going to be included I feel.

One a month would be almost impossible unless they really beef up their studios and acquire more, plus drop dev time.. Not happening

DaGwaphics

That was pretty stupid.

But, twelve studios all on 3 yr dev cycles could put out a AAA game every 3 months. Microsoft have a few more than that, but Mojang aint really going to be included I feel.

One a month would be almost impossible unless they really beef up their studios and acquire more, plus drop dev time.. Not happening

Rumors point to them pushing for each studio to have a second smaller project in the works at all times. Maybe some smaller indie style games to fill in between releases.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yeah, if its a streaming box its totally dumb. I mean, they can easily sell it at $99 if its just that.

That was my initial thought as well. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The streaming rumor hinted that the box would do some local work in conjunction with Xcloud. Not sure how that would even work.

Reactions: JLB
Speaking on the Beyond3D forums, eastmen, who has proved in the past to have access to Microsoft insider information, revealed that the Xbox Series S will be half the price of the Series X, come in a small form factor and it will be an all-digital console. The insider doesn't know the final pricing for the Xbox Series X, and thus the Series X, but he had heard that Microsoft was prepared for a $400 Xbox Series X.

"Last I heard it be half the price of the XSX and last i heard MS were prepared for a $400 XSX. I am not sure what the final price will be. I think if sony is $500/$600 MS may try to go in at $200/$400/$500 but we will see"

"MS will make up any losses they take by getting a higher cut of game sales and more subscriptions. Pricing also depends on what Sony does. MS doesn't have to go as extreme in pricing if sony prices itself higher."

"But from what I"ve heard from all my sources July isn't about sony , July is about the industry and they want it to be a night of mic drops . They are going to come hard with the strategy they have been building up to for years and they want google , amazon , apple , sony and yes Nintendo to shaken up . So expect a series of Mic drop moments followed by the price being the key part of all this."

"That's why I think Lockheart is a key device in their strategy. Its low cost gateway that they can control to make sure the hardware can handle their new compression techniques they will employee with xcloud over the next few years. The plan for Lockheart is to get into price categories they were never able to hit before and I believe based on listening between the lines that they expect lockheart to at some point make it down to fire tv size . Also the size of the first lockheart will surprise everyone."

link :

what do you guys think of this.
half the teraflops? Half the price

Jaxcellent

You'd think it would say series s......
I can only imagine everybody will be super confused, imagine how this go in a store chain inventory system, input is done by non-gamers, how do you seperate the X from the bone? Unless your into this kind of stuff, its hard to understand the difference. Becoming to think this their goal. Seems to me Microsoft is trying kinda extending this gen instead of going next gen, wtf.

I think after 6-7 years people want something new, new games, new IP's, new UI powerfull new hardware. why is this so hard to understand for a corporate giant. I wasn't impressed with the XSex showcase, doubt ill be impressed by the XSES.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I can only imagine everybody will be super confused, imagine how this go in a store chain inventory system, input is done by non-gamers, how do you seperate the X from the bone? Unless your into this kind of stuff, its hard to understand the difference. Becoming to think this their goal. Seems to me Microsoft is trying kinda extending this gen instead of going next gen, wtf.

I think after 6-7 years people want something new, new games, new IP's, new UI powerfull new hardware. why is this so hard to understand for a corporate giant. I wasn't impressed with the XSex showcase, doubt ill be impressed by the XSES.
Those new IPs like spiderman DLC. Souls remake, horizon 2, GT7, gtfo. There won't be new IPs until a few years in from both Microsoft and Sony first parties. I'm sure people get confused going into the store each year for the 6 different iPhones or Galaxies lol.

Three

"But from what I"ve heard from all my sources July isn't about sony , July is about the industry and they want it to be a night of mic drops . They are going to come hard with the strategy they have been building up to for years and they want google , amazon , apple , sony and yes Nintendo to shaken up . So expect a series of Mic drop moments followed by the price being the key part of all this."

Yes, Nintendo and Sony were shaking in their boots. I even heard Phil Harrison at Google shat his pants. Riveting stuff. The July that MS sold 17k consoles and revealed Craig. These insiders I tell you.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
SERIES S / LOCKHART
Best case : 249$
Worst case : 349$
Likely : 299$

SERIES X
Best case : 399$
Worst case : 599$
Likely : 499$

PS5 DIGITAL
Best case : 349$
Worst case : 449$
Likely : 399$

PS5
Best case : 399$
Worst case : 549$

Sounds like fanfic and guessing tbh.

I think both consoles will be $499 with Series S being $299 personally.

Also lol at people being shocked at the thought of $600. To buy a PC with specs like Series X would be double that amount easily. Series X is aimed at enthusiasts that’s why Series S exists to both cater to the more casual audience and to undercut PS5.

Journey

Banned
Nah, people who want the better experience will be willing to pay for it.

XSX is a better experience than XSS

brainlet-pointy-head.jpg

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Will get one to replace my one S, won't bother with X as I don't mind 4k yet.

A new PC is where I'm gonna spend big money.

And yet another reason why a series s can succceed, add this to casual gamer/buyer and additional console for kids

Batiman

Banned
I think the XSS gonna be huge. I’m going for the XSX though and ps5 hopefully at launch. The XSS is gonna get all the warzone/fortnite/fifa crowd. The casuals that play like 2-3 games a year. I know a ton of people at work that’ll just pick up the cheapest console. It’ll win over people that only play racing games as well. A cheap package with forza will sell great.

People forget that Sony picked up that crowd with the PS4 at launch. This is a smart move and puts Sony in a tight position with pricing that hopefully benefits all. All this talk about power, but I see the XSS as the biggest threat to Sony right now.

McHuj

I've been thinking some more about this and I think MS will want to price XSX the same as the PS5 disc-based SKU. Both Sony and MS will not want to lose a lot of money on their consoles. I think Sony will be willing to sell the digital version at a loss, but the disc based one will be sold as at a profit so the difference will be more pronounced than just the difference in BOM between the two PS5s.

XSS: $299
PS5D: $449
XSX/PS5: $549.

I don't see $399 as being really feasible for anything other than XSS (which would be way to high). Unfortunately, tech has not dropped in price as much in the last 7 years. Last time we paid $399 (xbox kinectless SKU came out withing 6 months of launch) for consoles many considered severely under powered even at the start of the generation. I don't think we're getting that this time around, I think they're much better so I don't think $399 is really feasible for either. I hope I'm wrong and get a $399 PS5.

Zok310

Banned
Cant see ms ok with taking such a big hit when current xbox model is hardly making money and game pass model is yet to make them money.
They cant just keep losing money.

JLB

Banned
Cant see ms ok with taking such a big hit when current xbox model is hardly making money and game pass model is yet to make them money.
They cant just keep losing money.

Sure than a nearly 2 trillion dollar company cant keep investing on a business that looks incredibly promising?

Zok310

Banned
Sure than a nearly 2 trillion dollar company cant keep investing on a business that looks incredibly promising?
What's so promising about Xbox as a business? It's about to have prolly it toughest launch in its history going up against that nut job Jim Ryan and Nintendo, gamepass is a race to the bottom in terms of revenue, they will need 10s of millions of paid subs to really make money.
MS is approaching $2T as a company, however each division of MS have A BUDGET, it's not a bottomless pit of cash for XB because parent company have a trillion bux..

Deto

Banned
It seems that the only thing that MS planned was the Astroturfing network. Data was selectively leaked to give credibility to insiders, who were nothing more than their fanboys, so that they would have credibility and spread rumors of "xbox will only be successful" and "PS5 rdna1, trash, sony desperate"

When a theory explains reality, it is likely to be real.

So the theory that the Discord group received information from MS to gain credibility and make fake news about the PS5, 600USD? LOL, and doing FUD on the internet, seems to be the reality.

Tommy Fisher is an example, the guy got it right when he said the exact clock and the number of CUs for the SX and said that the PS5 would be 14TF.
It was clearly some member of the group that MS had leaked the SX GPU specification for him to do FUD on the internet and make people "disappointed" because they expected 14TF on PS5 and took 10TF.

MS, more concerned with feeding lunatic internet fanboys than making games.

Did they think they would apply post-truth to video games and would it work?
Did they expect that we would have idiots saying that Halo infinite with 12TF on SX has better graphics than Spiderman on PS5?
They hoped that with this avalanche of FUD that "PS5 sucks, RDNA1, RT fake, catches on fire and melts" they would have more success with Halo Infinite as presented, than Sony with Spiderman?

"I'm an idiot, I'm going to buy the SX with Halo infinite and not PS5 with spideman because an insider said that the PS5 is garbage"

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
What's so promising about Xbox as a business? It's about to have prolly it toughest launch in its history going up against that nut job Jim Ryan and Nintendo, gamepass is a race to the bottom in terms of revenue, they will need 10s of millions of paid subs to really make money.
MS is approaching $2T as a company, however each division of MS have A BUDGET, it's not a bottomless pit of cash for XB because parent company have a trillion bux..

Sure. Let me tell you than even Netflix is not break even. These companies have a really long term strategy. Eventually, there will be a 2 billion gamers market, and MS is on its way to get a considerable chunk of that. Even if you are not the market leader.

SERIES S / LOCKHART
Best case : 249$
Worst case : 399$
Likely : 299$

SERIES X
Best case : 499$
Worst case : 649$
Likely : 549$

PS5 DIGITAL
Best case : 449$
Worst case : 599$

PS5
Best case : 499$
Worst case : 649$
Likely : 549$
Just fixed it for you

Unknown?

I think it's a bit crazy all those who think MS will take a huge loss on any console. The one S is still $299 msrp but somehow a brand new console is going to be close to that price? Sure it's on sale regularly but they obviously aren't willing to drop it permanently. If they were willing to lose a big amount on their new systems why wouldn't they have done it this gen? Why aren't they doing it now? The One S could be $149 and it would bring in more subscriptions than a new console but they aren't because they can't or at the very least aren't willing to do so.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It seems that the only thing that MS planned was the Astroturfing network. Data was selectively leaked to give credibility to insiders, who were nothing more than their fanboys, so that they would have credibility and spread rumors of "xbox will only be successful" and "PS5 rdna1, trash, sony desperate"

When a theory explains reality, it is likely to be real.

So the theory that the Discord group received information from MS to gain credibility and make fake news about the PS5, 600USD? LOL, and doing FUD on the internet, seems to be the reality.

Tommy Fisher is an example, the guy got it right when he said the exact clock and the number of CUs for the SX and said that the PS5 would be 14TF.
It was clearly some member of the group that MS had leaked the SX GPU specification for him to do FUD on the internet and make people "disappointed" because they expected 14TF on PS5 and took 10TF.

MS, more concerned with feeding lunatic internet fanboys than making games.

Did they think they would apply post-truth to video games and would it work?
Did they expect that we would have idiots saying that Halo infinite with 12TF on SX has better graphics than Spiderman on PS5?
They hoped that with this avalanche of FUD that "PS5 sucks, RDNA1, RT fake, catches on fire and melts" they would have more success with Halo Infinite as presented, than Sony with Spiderman?

"I'm an idiot, I'm going to buy the SX with Halo infinite and not PS5 with spideman because an insider said that the PS5 is garbage"
Wow.
So Tommy Fisher is an MS insider who planted SeX specs on the net, but also purposely mislead gaming boards with an overinflated PS5 spec sheet to piss off gamers later.

Wow x2

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think it's a bit crazy all those who think MS will take a huge loss on any console. The one S is still $299 msrp but somehow a brand new console is going to be close to that price? Sure it's on sale regularly but they obviously aren't willing to drop it permanently. If they were willing to lose a big amount on their new systems why wouldn't they have done it this gen? Why aren't they doing it now? The One S could be $149 and it would bring in more subscriptions than a new console but they aren't because they can't or at the very least aren't willing to do so.
Microsoft is not stupid not once has a console that had lost badly sold with end of generation fire sale. If Microsoft is not willing to sell for a loss but Sony is by your logic lol. A 7 year old console at 299.99,the way over priced pro at 399.99. Both will lose a little but not a lot like good old days.

Top Bottom