• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S/Lockhart Will Be Half The Price Of The Series X

jimbojim

Banned
Looks like that member eastmen from B3D forum is just a fraud. Same thread on ERA, some journalist did some research and found this :

Cant believe a verified member made this post lol
Verified or not.. try going back in time and read this so called insider (eastmen) old inside scoop on xbox one .. he is way off all the time.. go back to Xbox one X speculation before the final reveal

ps4 pro has been on sale already under the $399.99 price in the states . Also there is a year of improvements over the course of the year. I am sure the 14/16nm tech has improved where yields will be much better. Ram prices have also come down while speeds have gone up and so on and so forth. We will have to wait and see what MS does with scorpio and what if anything sony does in response. What the systems actually cost MS and Sony doesn't matter to us as a consumer. MS may decide it wants to price match the pro even taking a loss to do so or they might go and make something that can be considered a real generational leap over the current systems and charge a premium.

Hopefully we don't have to wait much longer

My wild guess

16GB of GRDDR +$20
No optical drive - $30
Split CPU / GPU +75

That's my thinking

He is no "insider "

How in sweet baby jesus name is this thread not locked?
Let me answer this with an original eastmen post

Yea I can't say much maybe 50% of the time I can give more info but then the other 50% of the time is well the other half of the time? Makes sense ? Sometimes you gotta take that first step even when there is another 10 steps waiting for you and maybe you name each step something different but its all the same flight of stairs. But you know maybe that's a fat person thing ?

In short :

According to eastmen's post history, he is very Xbox related. So, surely he is pissed because PS5 gained so much momentum, then he said what he said just to diverts attention from the PS5 and maybe recently Oodle Kraken tweets. LOL

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned
X1X Cyberpunk limited edition was sold here in the UK at £260.

Yeah, but it's an old tech and there is no game inside this package, right?:D

Anyway, in my country X1X is 240£ with FH4 and Lego Speed Champions. CP2077 is also at that price.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Yeah, but it's an old tech and there is no game inside this package, right?:D

Anyway, in my country X1X is 240£ with FH4 and Lego Speed Champions. CP2077 is also at that price.

True but it is a very limited edition console (45000 worldwide?) a top game download when it comes out + its first expansion and 1 month of gamepass ultimate. You currently can barely get a 500GB PS4 slim with a game or two for £260....

THE:MILKMAN

I mean, the Sony SSD on paper is something never seen before in the SSD market. That is groundbreaking.

Because you can explain how it works after seeing Sony explain how it works doesn't mean it is not groundbreaking.

It means you watched their video explaining how something NEVER DONE BEFORE was going to be done now.

Then you saw the speeds. Again. NEVER DONE BEFORE until they told you how they were going to do it.

That's kind of what groundbreaking means......

Sure the implementation is groundbreaking, that's true but the underlying tech is actually pretty standard and the pure speed is faster right now than any PC SSD but it won't be the case at release in November. Of course even then with 12 channels/6 levels of priority and all the I/O hardware a 7GB/s PC SSD will still be slower in reality.

The good thing here is SSDs for everyone will come down in price with the consoles using them. For 10 years the PC market has been paying a huge premium/mark up but that should now change to some extent.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
That makes me think Series X will be $600 and S will be $300 if it's gonna be half the price. It's one hell of a powerful console and that would still let series S undercut sony even in the most optimistic scenario for the digital PS5. Yes MS COULD throw away their money taking PS3 level losses on hardware but they didn't get all this disposable income from being reckless with their money and they won't be looking to flush down a bunch just to win a console sales war

jimbojim

Banned
True but it is a very limited edition console (45000 worldwide?) a top game download when it comes out + its first expansion and 1 month of gamepass ultimate. You currently can barely get a 500GB PS4 slim with a game or two for £260....

Well, that's PS4. :D Saw it you can buy for £250 with TLOU 2. Cheapest is at Shopto PS4 with TLOU 2 for 220£.

I still don't understand why so many of you guys think the PS5 and XSX won't cost more than $499.

The very existence of PS5 digital edition shows us Sony is afraid of pricing the complete console too high.
Add to that the fact that the PS5 is the largest console in more than 20 years.
History shows that the larger the console the pricier it is.

Here are my predictions:
XSX - $599
PS5 - $549
PS5 DE - $449 (Sony loses money)
XSL - $349
XOX & PS4 Pro - $279
XOS & PS4 S - $199

That's because the sweet spot for console launch price is $300. Sony wants the PS5 adoption rate to be "at the scope and scale" that they have never seen before. That can't happen if they launch the PS5 at over $500.

I think that the only way Sony will launch the PS5 at over $500 ($549 -$599) is that the supply is constraint for the first 6-9 months due to the global pandemic and the early yield of the percentage of the custom chip. Sony is not going to repeat what had happened at the PS3 launch if they can help it.

I think we will see one of two prices for the PS5s. $399 for the Digital version and $449 for the disc version or $449 and $499, respectively. As for Series X, $499 is the cheapest they'll go. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go for $549.

People keep talking about all this money MS has, but the fact is Xbox isn't as important to them as PS is to Sony, so they will be less willing to lose even more money on HW. This gen proved that.

baphomet

Looks like that member eastmen from B3D forum is just a fraud. Same thread on ERA, some journalist did some research and found this :

In short :

According to eastmen's post history, he is very Xbox related. So, surely he is pissed because PS5 gained so much momentum, then he said what he said just to diverts attention from the PS5 and maybe recently Oodle Kraken tweets. LOL

Yea, the guy is 100% full of shit. Same guy who said Xbox was going to be releasing a AAA game every other month (also complete bullshit.)

Banned
I think you’re a damn idiot if you buy a series S, but is XSX is 399$ then Sony is screwed.

my current setup is a PS4pro and an Xbox One X connected to the living room TV and a base PS4 and a One S connected to the PC Monitor.
this is great for playing multiplayer games locally even if they don't have splitscreen.

so if the Series S performs as expected it is a damn interesting box just for stuff like that.

Kagero

my current setup is a PS4pro and an Xbox One X connected to the living room TV and a base PS4 and a One S connected to the PC Monitor.
this is great for playing multiplayer games locally even if they don't have splitscreen.

so if the Series S performs as expected it is a damn interesting box just for stuff like that.
It’s a redundant system if you currently have all those consoles you mentioned. Unless you love tech and collect them. It’s pointless.

MarkMe2525

It still sounds like fairy tale stuff.
MS had lost so much money with the XBox in the early years, that I am not even sure if they ever broke even (a lot of the money from the 360 era was spent on the RRoD). So XBox division going up to MS and saying, hey how about we lose some serious money now? Maybe it pays of, maybe it doesnt.

People seem to think that subscription models turn around a lot of money when it really doesnt. Its super low margin, which is why only the biggest players get in. I dont think gamepass is making them money right now, its way too cheap and not enough people have it. Yes 10 Millions sound like a lot, but its nothing compared to Spotify, Amazon Prime, Netflix, or even Disney plus. Also music, TV shows and movies are arguably easier, faster and cheaper to produce.
Plus they are losing money from regular sales and licensing and may lose some 3rd publisher support. All while HEAVILY subsidizing a console?
Their subscriber numbers need to be in the hundreds of millions for that. I dont know if the brand is strong enough for that.
I dont know, maybe they want Xbox to be the windows of gaming or something, we'll see. But I find is highly unrealistic atm.
It is misleading to make the claim that subscription models are super low margin. Companies on subscription-based models control their investments so the margin can be as high or low as they want it. while the company is bulking out their product line, margins tend to be lower because of heavy investments. This changes once a company has a base level, it can overtime lower investments. I do agree withbeing skeptical of Microsoft taking a huge upfront loss on each console sold.

Last edited:

Banned
It’s a redundant system if you currently have all those consoles you mentioned. Unless you love tech and collect them. It’s pointless.

how is it redundant if I told you what I might use it for? replacing the One X and One S respectively.
in fact, these 2 systems become redundant at that point since the Series X and S will run every game that run on the old ones better than the old ones

but btw. I'm not planning on getting Lockhart right away... in the meantime the One X will basically replace the One S on the PC monitor. but at some point the One X will not be supported anymore and that's when the Lockhart will come into the picture.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned

In short :

I was thinking The same thing, Ps5 has all the mindshare and momentum going into next gen so some colt Eastwood type took it upon himself to come up with a ludicrous rumor that’s basically “wait for e3” on steroids. Mic drops, entire industry shook, acquisitions despite Matt booty stating they were done acquiring studios, billion dollar losses on hardware. It’s people like him that set up these extremely unrealistic expectations for people and when reality happens everyone is disappointed.

Dabaus

Banned
I also can’t help but notice that despite what we know about the cost of next gen console BOM, Ps5 being 450 and series x being more than that., that somehow Ps5 will be the more expensive one. I also can’t help but notice the halo avatars now pushing this theory as well. The timing is suspect too what with it being after Sony’s show. I’ll be honest I didn’t think it was a great showing but they certainly got a lot of YouTube views and twitter likes, much more than I think these halo avatars wanted to see.

If that's true then PS5 for more than $400 is DoA. Unless XsX is $600 console.
Lol, really?

You think 110 million strong PS4 userbase with an attach rate of 9,6 games per console (which is regarded as a very high attach rate) is going to dump the Playstation for Xbox?

MS can absorb it more than Sony due to bank.
Lol

In short :

Well no shit he is a fraud.

Dude stated MS plans to pump out AAA exclusives every other month. If this didn't set off alarm bells as to him being full of shit then i don't know what will.

Last edited:

Kagero

how is it redundant if I told you what I might use it for? replacing the One X and One S respectively.
in fact, these 2 systems become redundant at that point since the Series X and S will run every game that run on the old ones better than the old ones

but btw. I'm not planning on getting Lockhart right away... in the meantime the One X will basically replace the One S on the PC monitor. but at some point the One X will not be supported anymore and that's when the Lockhart will come into the picture.
Yeah you’re right. I got all confused with all these damn S’s and X’s. What was Microsoft thinking with this naming convention. Eithey way yeah. Good prices at least if all this is true.

Devilich

I wonder if it will actually look like this fan-made design:

lockhart.png

It would be like Microsoft's sophisticated take on the GameCube.
Ouya is that you?

TheAssist

Man like almost everything you said is wrong.

Then plz give me a source to discredit me.

- the original XBox was a big loss for MS and they did lose like a billion dollars with the rrod
- more subscription based models for TV, movies, music and games have already closed their doors due to being forced out of the market, than currently exist --> meaning especially in the beginning the strong players try to force the weaker ones out by cutting prices, hence the low margins. Heck even MS pulled out of music streaming subscriptions and made a strategic partnership with spotify instead
- Subscription models go hand in hand with lower sales, ask the music industry. At the very least the revenue stream is skewed towards whats big and popular, hurting smaller studios and artists because they cant live from what they get from the streaming service providers
- The Xbox Brand is not as strong in Europe (compared to Playstation and Nintendo) and basically non existent in the asia markets

TheAssist

It is misleading to make the claim that subscription models are super low margin. Companies on subscription-based models control their investments so the margin can be as high or low as they want it. while the company is bulking out their product line, margins tend to be lower because of heavy investments. This changes once a company has a base level, it can overtime lower investments. I do agree withbeing skeptical of Microsoft taking a huge upfront loss on each console sold.

In my previous post I was implying that they would take that loss for the first years. It only pays of when at the end of it all, they stand victorious. But its not like MS is the only one with that idea. EA already has a subscription model. Ubi wanted one or already has one? I dont even know, havent been on U Play for years. You can bet your ass Activision is going to have one and of course Sony will counter as well. Same for google and maybe amazon. I mean thats my whole point. MS is not in a vacuum. They have to be extremely competitive to force others out and that means its gonna be low margin and its not like Sony, Google and Amazon have no money in the bank to draw this battle out.
I'm not saying they wont succeed, all I'm saying is that it will cost them A LOT and therefore I dont see them subsidizin a console by THAT MUCH.
Maybe they'll use Xcloud to reach that wider audience of smart TV owners to stream games on every device but still position all XBoxes towards actual gamers who do pay more than 200 dollars for a console.

Ar¢tos

I honestly don't see how they could sell it half price.
Reducing the gpu to half size and removing the disc drive won't reduce the price of manufacture by 1/2.
And Xbox can't sell it at that huge loss, or any loss, this gen even more than last gen.
Sure MS has rivers of money, but the Xbox division doesn't, they have a budget.
They don't have the marketshare or Sony brand recognition and the Xbox division is basically expendable for MS while Sony can't survive without Playstation.
And their move to services reduces even more the amount loss they can take in hardware.
If Sony sells 50 consoles, they know they will sell at least 50 games at the same time, making it easier to predict the loss they can take, but if Xbox sells 50 consoles, they have no idea how many of those 50 consumers are going to buy a game and how many are going to subscribe to gamepass, and the profit of a month of gamepass is much smaller than the profit of a full price retail game.
I don't see a 12tf machine costing 400$, 500$ and that's already taking a small loss.

I honestly don't see how they could sell it half price.
Reducing the gpu to half size and removing the disc drive won't reduce the price of manufacture by 1/2.
And Xbox can't sell it at that huge loss, or any loss, this gen even more than last gen.
Sure MS has rivers of money, but the Xbox division doesn't, they have a budget.
They don't have the marketshare or Sony brand recognition and the Xbox division is basically expendable for MS while Sony can't survive without Playstation.
And their move to services reduces even more the amount loss they can take in hardware.
If Sony sells 50 consoles, they know they will sell at least 50 games at the same time, making it easier to predict the loss they can take, but if Xbox sells 50 consoles, they have no idea how many of those 50 consumers are going to buy a game and how many are going to subscribe to gamepass, and the profit of a month of gamepass is much smaller than the profit of a full price retail game.
I don't see a 12tf machine costing 400$, 500$ and that's already taking a small loss.
Who the fuck is going to buy a console and only ever have 1 month of gamepass and not buy any games??

Ar¢tos

Who the fuck is going to buy a console and only ever have 1 month of gamepass and not buy any games??
How many games do you have access to with one month of gamepass?
You answered your own question...
Not everybody swims in money, some people have to save for a month or two to buy a game.
I'm not saying that all they will ever buy is one month or gamepass, I'm talking about at the time of buying the console, not lifetime actions.

Last edited:
How many games do you have access to with one month of gamepass?
You answered your own question...
Not everybody swims in money, some people have to save for a month or two to buy a game.
I'm not saying that all they will ever buy is one month or gamepass, I'm talking about at the time of buying the console, not lifetime actions.
And when their month off gamepass expires? I assume they'll just sit and look at the console gathering dust rather than buy a game or another month of gamepass.

Ar¢tos

And when their month off gamepass expires? I assume they'll just sit and look at the console gathering dust rather than buy a game or another month of gamepass.
How hard is it for you to understand the concept of 1st month expense and that 1st month expense =/= lifetime expense?
The next month they might buy a game or they might continue to subscribe to gamepass, the month after the same thing.
But it's the initial purchase that has more impact when deciding how much loss to take on the hardware.
If I buy an Xbox and I want to play 2 1st party games I don't have to spend 120$ on games, I can spend 10$ on 1 month of gamepass and play them.
If I buy a ps5 and I want to play 2 1st party games, I HAVE to spend 120$ and buy them, because they aren't available day one on psnow.
What happens after that initial purchase is hard to predict, so manufacturers can't use that data to calculate how much loss in hardware they can take.
Last gen this wasn't an issue, this will be the first gen where this is a possibility.

How hard is it for you to understand the concept of 1st month expense and that 1st month expense =/= lifetime expense?
The next month they might buy a game or they might continue to subscribe to gamepass, the month after the same thing.
But it's the initial purchase that has more impact when deciding how much loss to take on the hardware.
If I buy an Xbox and I want to play 2 1st party games I don't have to spend 120$ on games, I can spend 10$ on 1 month of gamepass and play them.
If I buy a ps5 and I want to play 2 1st party games, I HAVE to spend 120$ and buy them, because they aren't available day one on psnow.
What happens after that initial purchase is hard to predict, so manufacturers can't use that data to calculate how much loss in hardware they can take.
Last gen this wasn't an issue, this will be the first gen where this is a possibility.
The amount of people that would buy a console and only spend £10-20 on gamepass here and there is going to be so ludicrously small it's irrelevant. Don't forget that you don't keep the games when your sub expires. I would imagine microsoft have looked at the figures they have for gamepass and software attach rates and have worked out how much they can subsidise each console by and how long it will take to recoup that cost.

Ar¢tos

The amount of people that would buy a console and only spend £10-20 on gamepass here and there is going to be so ludicrously small it's irrelevant. Don't forget that you don't keep the games when your sub expires. I would imagine microsoft have looked at the figures they have for gamepass and software attach rates and have worked out how much they can subsidise each console by and how long it will take to recoup that cost.
Many people, like me, couldn't care less about keeping games. I finish a game and never touch it again.
Anyway, the possibility exists, so it must be accounted for.

baphomet

I only subscribe one month at a time. I play the couple of games I want. Then I unsubscribe until they have new ones I want to play. At this point it's been about 4-5 months since I've subscribed.

When I buy a XSX I'll be doing the exact same thing. Because why would I buy games for the system when I can pay less than $50 a year and play all their first party games as they're released.

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

In short :

Fucking console warriors...

I just want to be informed on pricing as a consumer and dicks like this are muddying the waters!!

Last edited:

IDappa

I really don't think this is the case, and I think it's going to really fucking confuse a lot of mainstream consumers.

Use RE8 as an example. Rumour has it that it's being ditched for Xbox One and PS4 because it's too much to handle - even on the official website, there is no mention of those consoles. Seems reasonable. Big new next gen release.

So, it's too powerful to run on an X1X, a beefy £400 machine, but it's going to run on Lockhart..? Is Lockhart more powerful than an X1X but it's still going to be a cheap budget model? What happens to the value of X1X, does it plummet? Are X1X owners about to get royally screwed in the pooch? Will there be an upgrade program?

It's all so confusing. MS can't release more info fast enough.

I would assume the x1x owners are prime targets for the series x they've gotten about 4 years of use since 1x released I'd think owners wouldn't care if they upgraded once again.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
People here seem to think that they just try out random things and decide pricing by whatever they feel like. These are big businesses, every expenditure is accounted for and has a logic behind it

MarkMe2525

In my previous post I was implying that they would take that loss for the first years. It only pays of when at the end of it all, they stand victorious. But its not like MS is the only one with that idea. EA already has a subscription model. Ubi wanted one or already has one? I dont even know, havent been on U Play for years. You can bet your ass Activision is going to have one and of course Sony will counter as well. Same for google and maybe amazon. I mean thats my whole point. MS is not in a vacuum. They have to be extremely competitive to force others out and that means its gonna be low margin and its not like Sony, Google and Amazon have no money in the bank to draw this battle out.
I'm not saying they wont succeed, all I'm saying is that it will cost them A LOT and therefore I dont see them subsidizin a console by THAT MUCH.
Maybe they'll use Xcloud to reach that wider audience of smart TV owners to stream games on every device but still position all XBoxes towards actual gamers who do pay more than 200 dollars for a console.
I mistook your point. I generally agree with all of this. Yes it is a gamble and will only make high margins if successful.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
XSS at 199$ and XSX at 399$ sounds like an epic amount of loss for Xbox. Could be a reaction to the interest around the PS5.

I’m all for it. Specially if it pushes Sony to sell the PS5 digital at 399€.

Cyborg

It would be such a good move from them to price this at €199/399! or even €299/399 At the start of all the Next Gen speculation we have seen imposible things (RDN2, Clockspeeds unknown in consoles etc) come true. If MS realy wants this I can see it happen.

oldergamer

In short :

That reasoning is dumb. He's just connected to Xbox is some way. Ya know not everyone out there is a fanboy. Diverting attention? Again that's ridiculous.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I also can’t help but notice that despite what we know about the cost of next gen console BOM, Ps5 being 450 and series x being more than that., that somehow Ps5 will be the more expensive one. I also can’t help but notice the halo avatars now pushing this theory as well. The timing is suspect too what with it being after Sony’s show. I’ll be honest I didn’t think it was a great showing but they certainly got a lot of YouTube views and twitter likes, much more than I think these halo avatars wanted to see.

We don't know anything about the BOM on either system, just a few news articles based on nothing. The Bloomberg article was a mess in particular, with those over estimated SSD costs, especially on XSX side. You can buy a comparable drive on the open market, right now, for less than Bloomberg estimate (It would surprise me if MS is ordering these from New Egg).

Top Bottom