• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Hmmm, third person? Or will it be the choice to switch to first person.

If it's like previous Gamebryo games, chances are they 'll give players the option to switch between the two.

I prefer playing Fallout 4 in first-person, but with a few gameplay mods third-person can be made quite good with a lot of the vanilla jank removed and the camera fixed. If Bethesda has been able to make improvements to third-person in Starfield I'd use it a lot more often as you get a much wider field of view to see all the cool shit going on around the character.

I'm curious exactly what "type" of space game this'll be. Not expecting something outright scifi/horror like Alien (maybe touches of it though?)...maybe the story'll have a bit of a hook to it like that '00s movie Sunshine. I do get a lot of 2001 A Space Odyssey vibes from the mood of these screenshots, so maybe the story will be a bit more Earthly and deep philosophical.

I'm hoping it's something along the lines of a human colony ship stumbling across a habitable world but discovering it's already occupied. You're trying to establish a foothold on the planet as a colony, but everything from the creatures already on the planet to the planet itself are making the process very difficult. I'm thinking along the lines of Xenoblade X, where the massive colony ship is your central "hub city" and you're breaking ground on the planet below setting up outposts (using settlement building tools similar to Fallout), and trying to set up peaceful relations with the population. You have multiple "friend or foe" factions you can choose to work with, work against, set against each other, or unite. I'd really like to see the potential for multiple possible outcomes and actual consequences for player actions like in older WRPGs. Maybe you can turn on your own people, turn the native population against each other, find a way to a peaceful outcome for everyone, or perhaps just wipe out the native population.

Not sure how likely any of that is, but after being a little let-down by how narrow-minded The Outer Worlds turned out, I've decided to set myself up for sci-fi disappointment with StarField.

Wasn't sure if this was already confirmed. Series X/S optimized games will only play off the SSD. All BC games run off a USB drive.

Also, confirmation that X/S optimized games can be transferred to the SSD to play, then transferred back to the external drive when finished. I transfer game files between drives on my PC as my main NVMe drive is small. Doing this, I avoid needing to re-download games, and I have a copy on-hand in the event the game becomes de-listed. You never know when you might want to take a stroll down memory lane.

Wasn't sure if this was already confirmed. Series X/S optimized games will only play off the SSD. All BC games run off a USB drive.

Also, confirmation that X/S optimized games can be transferred to the SSD to play, then transferred back to the external drive when finished. I transfer game files between drives on my PC as my main NVMe drive is small. Doing this, I avoid needing to re-download games, and I have a copy on-hand in the event the game becomes de-listed. You never know when you might want to take a stroll down memory lane.

I'm slightly worried about this (extends to PS5 as well), because for people who go through a lot of games, all of those writes on the internal SSD for transfers are going to eventually start wearing down the P/E cycles of the NAND, and I doubt these systems are using SLC or MLC NAND.

Granted, that's why the option for expansion is out there (NVMe drives, expansion cards etc.), but it's a pricey alternative. It's this kind of thing where, if I'm being 100%, as crazy as it'd sound, I'd probably rather the systems had skipped SSDs altogether and go with 128 GB of persistent memory. (Shill time) It's still got the same non-volatile benefits of NAND, is faster, has much lower latency, way better endurance levels (basically on par with RAM), and true byte-level granular addressability. Only problem is the capacities are a lot lower than NAND (but still more than DRAM).

Also if we're looking at the external drive tests for Series X so far, some of these USB-based SSD drives seem to give really good performance even when compared to the internal drive. Now that's probably due more to the coding of the BC games themselves and what they were programmed against I/O wise (Jaguar cores, HDD-spec speeds and performance, etc.), like people such as A Allandor (who also posts here from time to time) mentioned on B3D. Gonna link their post because I think it also should put some people on the PS5 SSD I/O hype train down a few notches if they're expecting "blazing quick" loading for BC games on that system:

The nvme can't load faster. It is not the bottleneck. Other tests (conducted by Jeff Grubb e.g. video a few posts above ) even the normal external SSD or an external nvme aren't that much slower. It is only .x seconds slower. So not even USB 3.1 (3.2) is limiting here. I guess if you connect a much slower SSD (like 100MB/s) you would start to see that the internal SSD is still just a bit faster but than in a few seconds range. I really hope someone makes such a test with slower external SSDs.
And yes, those results are only valid for BC games. But PS5 won't change those numbers.
I expect even slower loading times on PS5 because the CPU is clocked a bit lower but for BC titles sony wants to use profiles with lower frequencies (+ optional boost mode). As both current gen consoles are jaguar based the compression algorithms should be quite the same on both. So multiplatform games should use the same compression techs (whatever the developer decided would be "optimal" in the situation).

But well, those are just BC games. Patched games or next-gen games might use completely other loading strategies. Only with those new loading strategies, the PS5 might have a loading-time edge. But it really depends if the already high IO throughput will be a bottleneck at any point.

I would be totally ok with 10s loading screens, even in new games. The stuff made in Ratched & Clank is somehow cool (but I doubt they really need that much IO throughput) but I really can't see how this would change a whole game. From time to time this is impressive, but if your whole game would be based on this it would get really chaotic quite fast.

But anyhow, back to the persistent memory stuff....

...that was never realistic though in hindsight, at least not for next-gen; since MS and Sony don't make their own persistent memory tech (yes they are R&D'ing some stuff atm but it's nowhere near ready for mass production) they'd have to source it from Micron or Intel, who would probably sell it - at lowest - for $2.50 per GB at mass volume bulks. Or, $320 for 128 GB! Not the best use of BOM for a next-gen console at this point in time.

So in that light it makes perfect sense why MS and Sony focused more on SSDs and NAND technology, but I really don't see the internal SSDs on either system holding out for the entirety of next-gen. Eventually people WILL have to get external expansion cards or spec'd NVMe upgrades. And I can also see MS and Sony doubling the storage on mid-gen refreshes (which I'm honestly not expecting are going to be any much more powerful in raw TF compared to the base systems). Persistent memory will have to wait until Series X-2/PS6.

Last edited:

Dirt 5 next gen upgrade available for Xbox Series X/S launch, PS5 unconfirmed but will be available "later this year", may miss launch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kagey K

Banned

Xbox Series X/S went up for pre-order in Brazil yesterday, with Series X selling out in the 7 biggest retailers within 5 hours. PS5 is still available in those stores, despite being up for pre-order for an additional week.

Series X was sold out across Brazil, including Amazon, by this morning. Series S is still available.

Somebody needs to make a thread correcting everyone who says it's sold out world wide. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Finland

Vognerful

Xbox Series X/S went up for pre-order in Brazil yesterday, with Series X selling out in the 7 biggest retailers within 5 hours. PS5 is still available in those stores, despite being up for pre-order for an additional week.

Series X was sold out across Brazil, including Amazon, by this morning. Series S is still available.

Bro this can't be true! Is brazil really xbox land? How so?

Bro this can't be true! Is brazil really xbox land? How so?

Not quite Xbox land, no.

Interesting write-up on it here though;

Basically, people have less money there on average, PS5 game prices are too expensive for the average household to justify and Game Pass is too good a deal to ignore.

Xbox was always fairly popular there since 360 though.

JLB

Banned
Not quite Xbox land, no.

Interesting write-up on it here though;

Basically, people have less money there on average, PS5 game prices are too expensive for the average household to justify and Game Pass is too good a deal to ignore.

Xbox was always fairly popular there since 360 though.

Pretty much what happens in Argentina, but even worst due to the exchange rate situation with US dollar. Interestingly, Xbox Argentina didnt provide a date for preorder nor prices in local currency of the console, just that both consoles will be out on November.
Another interesting thing is PS5 prices. They are not bad, all things considered -though if you mention to someone that a PS5 costs above usd1K they will freak out-, but historically speaking that is kind of right. The fact that Xbox Argentina didnt announce the price of the consoles yet starts to feel that they are not going to be cheap, and potentially will be more expensive that PS5. But who knows.
The real key thing, as you mention, are game prices. Since Playstation store is not regionalized -transactions are in usd dollars, not in local currency- all sorts of crazy taxes are applied on top of the standard 70 dollar price. So, for a 70 dollar game, you have to add 35% of income tax tax (yeah, tax of the tax) + 8% for digital being whatever, which means above 100 dollars. Which is a lot per se, but prohibitive for a country with average salaries below 400 dollars per month.
All in all, what I see is a massive shift of Playstation users to Xbox here simply because Gamepass is not an option, its the only economically viable option for many.

Last edited:

DrDamn

Microsoft's eco system is way ahead of the competition, we just need more exclusive games

The stuff that goes on in the background like save syncing, the way game sharing is integrated easily and the transition from console to console or generation to generation is fantastic. I am a bit disappointed they didn't take the opportunity to overhaul the interface, but cross generational consistency has it's merits.

Got bored before bed time and slapped this piece of shit together. I have no idea where to post it or really even why I made it, so I'll just put it here for now.

APX0OF9.jpg

Now I just need to figure out where all the Sega characters are going to go after this Wednesday :messenger_grinning_sweat:

EDIT: Added Ori, Sea of Thieves and Killer Instinct. I'm sure I'm missing something though.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

Have you seen that RDR2 could reach native 4K at 60 fps on Series X? This is impressive with that graphics. I don't understand how, on the other hand, titles like Spiderman can't match a similar result.

Flintty

Got bored before bed time and slapped this piece of shit together. I have no idea where to post it or really even why I made it, so I'll just put it here for now.

dx9yCCv.jpg

Now I just need to figure out where all the Sega characters are going to go after this Wednesday :messenger_grinning_sweat:
+1 point for Viva Pinata
-1 point for no Sea of Thieves (unless I missed it)

ZywyPL

Banned
Its probably part of the negotiations.
I have a theory Gamepass will be announced at the iPhone 12 event this month.

But that would put Apple in a very tricky situation, especially considering the recent lawsuit with Epic, where they claim they treat everyone equally, there are terms of use that apply to everyone without exceptions, software cannot be streamed but stored on the store etc. I think allowing GP on Apple Store would be a precedence that would have a huge, long-term avalanche effect.

Top Bottom