• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

How is it quieter than the One X? Is it negative noise? I've never heard a peep from my One X. In any case it's great to have it confirmed the Series X is also completely silent.

A single, large, well designed fan and a layout designed not to introduce any turbulence into the airflow.

If the blades are designed right the fan will cut cleanly through the air as it pulls it through. The fan in the X1X was a good fan, but the console was a traditional design with comparatively poor airflow characteristics.

The blade design on the Series X looks very similar to the blades on both the CPU radiator and the GPU radiator on my PC. They are dead silent despite being the fastest spinning fans in my case. My old radiator fans were slower, moved less air, but were way louder than the replacements.

The other thing worth noting is the console is designed around air shooting straight through, not being interrupted or blocked by components. The console is a pillar for cooling efficiency, not just for aesthetics. Even with the fan disabled the XSX would shed heat well. As heat rises, cool air comes in from the bottom vents and is naturally pulled up as it warms up inside the case. The fan won’t even have to work hard.

It really is a smart design.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Bringing Bethesda Games to Xbox Game Pass
As we shared, Bethesda were early supporters of Xbox Game Pass, and we will be adding Bethesda’s iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass for console and PC. One of the things that has me most excited is seeing the roadmap with Bethesda’s future games, coming to Xbox console and PC including Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios and Doom Eternal, which is coming to Xbox Game Pass on October 1 and for PC later in 2020.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Talking of Arron Greenberg, here he is sharing a video of a sleeping hedgehog while "When You Wish Upon a Star" plays.

I think this is more likely trolling than anything, but it's definitely a SEGA reference.

Its Greenburg. Hes trolling.

Talking of Arron Greenberg, here he is sharing a video of a sleeping hedgehog while "When You Wish Upon a Star" plays.

I think this is more likely trolling than anything, but it's definitely a SEGA reference.

Dunno, I still think something's going on between them. Why would two companies do this much friendly teasing and trolling?

They only said no news of acquisitions at TGS, but even Satya's said they aren't done with acquisitions. SEGA might still be on the table. Or at the very least, some partnership in MS and SEGA making new entries to some classic SEGA IP like Skies of Arcadia, Outrun, or maybe even Spikeout.

Mmnow

Dunno, I still think something's going on between them. Why would two companies do this much friendly teasing and trolling?

They only said no news of acquisitions at TGS, but even Satya's said they aren't done with acquisitions. SEGA might still be on the table. Or at the very least, some partnership in MS and SEGA making new entries to some classic SEGA IP like Skies of Arcadia, Outrun, or maybe even Spikeout.
There's definitely something brewing. You don't accidentally let an exec go on screen in a Sonic t-shirt amid rumours your company is buying Sega. Not unless Phil just gets a kick out of seeing us all suffer.

The rest of the stuff I can put down to coincidence, cultural differences or Arron Greenberg, but I keep coming back to that random Sonic t-shirt.

Reactions: KO7

Andodalf

Banned
There's definitely something brewing. You don't accidentally let an exec go on screen in a Sonic t-shirt amid rumours your company is buying Sega. Not unless Phil just gets a kick out of seeing us all suffer.

The rest of the stuff I can put down to coincidence, cultural differences or Arron Greenberg, but I keep coming back to that random Sonic t-shirt.

? I don't remember phil wearing a sonic t shirt?

Mmnow

? I don't remember phil wearing a sonic t shirt?
Phil didn't. It was Kevin Gammill during one of the Xbox Series X events. Come to think of it, it might even have been the leaked Series S event, I don't actually remember and couldn't find any more info.

Here's a pic though:

p0mts4op2so51.png

The red circle isn't mine, but I found it useful for spotting Sonic the Hedgehog in this picture of a man wearing a Sonic the Hedgehog t-shirt.

Andodalf

Banned
Phil didn't. It was Kevin Gammill during one of the Xbox Series X events. Come to think of it, it might even have been the leaked Series S event, I don't actually remember and couldn't find any more info.

Here's a pic though:

p0mts4op2so51.png

The red circle isn't mine, but I found it useful for spotting Sonic the Hedgehog in this picture of a man wearing a Sonic the Hedgehog t-shirt.

Oooooo, I thought you meant at TGS and I didn't remember seeing one there. Red Circle was clutch Lol. Yeah that's sus for sure

Boglin

The other thing worth noting is the console is designed around air shooting straight through, not being interrupted or blocked by components. The console is a pillar for cooling efficiency, not just for aesthetics. Even with the fan disabled the XSX would shed heat well. As heat rises, cool air comes in from the bottom vents and is naturally pulled up as it warms up inside the case. The fan won’t even have to work hard.

It really is a smart design.

If Microsoft's goal was too make the quietest and coolest system at the volume they chose then I really don't think they could have designed it any better. It's a fantastic design choice.
Allowing a large axial fan vs the typical consoles centrifugal fan is key and I'm glad Microsoft was willing to break the mold and go this route. I'm into the small form-factor PC scene so I really appreciate anytime a more space efficient designed is used.

Though I do disagree with the bolded. Obviously not the "heat rises" part but just that it makes a difference at all in this circumstance. The fins on the XSX heatsink are far too tightly packed for natural convection to be able to take advantage of the surface area. The cooling of this design would be negligible without any forced air movement.

Flintty

If they give Skies of Arcadia the FFVII treatment I will lose my shit ❤️

Codswallop_

Neophyte
If they give Skies of Arcadia the FFVII treatment I will lose my shit ❤

That would be incredible, why did you have to remind me we have been waiting so long for this?? I still dig out my Dreamcast and vga cables for a playthrough every few years. Just don't make a bunch of weird story changes and leave the combat turn based. DQXI proved that turn based can still be great.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I wonder what GWG on series X will look like? I have to assume they are going to just keep the current format?

Kagey K

Banned

I really like that infographic in the tweet. It really shows the MS philosophy of Xbox being an ecosystem and not just a console, (even though the console itself is still at the forefront of the ecosystem.)

aJGeK2M.pngi

Another Starfield screenshot has been leaked, leaker says it is targetting a 2021 release as previously rumored.

Edit: the original Starfield screenshot and concept art leak is below.

hgZN48b.png

pjl7ebR.jpeg

Nbxb6Kf.jpeg

That third screenshot is hype. The first two look good too but it's clear those are an earlier build because it's just flat jet black for a sky and a plain texture (if that) for the ground. Even for a more "clean" aesthetic (like say Interstellar), there'd be more detail there. But I think it's basically been noted these are indeed from earlier builds.

I'm curious exactly what "type" of space game this'll be. Not expecting something outright scifi/horror like Alien (maybe touches of it though?)...maybe the story'll have a bit of a hook to it like that '00s movie Sunshine. I do get a lot of 2001 A Space Odyssey vibes from the mood of these screenshots, so maybe the story will be a bit more Earthly and deep philosophical.

If Microsoft's goal was too make the quietest and coolest system at the volume they chose then I really don't think they could have designed it any better. It's a fantastic design choice.
Allowing a large axial fan vs the typical consoles centrifugal fan is key and I'm glad Microsoft was willing to break the mold and go this route. I'm into the small form-factor PC scene so I really appreciate anytime a more space efficient designed is used.

Though I do disagree with the bolded. Obviously not the "heat rises" part but just that it makes a difference at all in this circumstance. The fins on the XSX heatsink are far too tightly packed for natural convection to be able to take advantage of the surface area. The cooling of this design would be negligible without any forced air movement.

You're right. I didn't mean to imply the system would operate nominally with the fan deactivated, just pointing out that the natural air movement in the system in from the bottom up during operation, and the fan really has nothing working against it.

Albion

I think they are going for a realistic High scifi tone, especially considering Elon musk is a consultant for the game

Top Bottom