• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would My PC Bottleneck an RTX 3090?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No such thing as futureproofing in pc gaming. Treat it like a console, you might be able to do a mid gen pro, but eventually a new console/pc will be needed.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If you throw enough GPu at it, anything will bottleneck. But extra GPU will still let you enjoy higher resolutions, RT effects, etc that you wouldn't without it.

That said the 3090 is stupid expensive, you could easily get a 3080 and a new CPU and mobo for the same costnand you'd be better off.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Now that my pc is back up and running, I kinda want to upgrade from my rx 580 to the 3070 or 3080.

I guess the biggest bottleneck my pc currently has is the power (500w)

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Now that my pc is back up and running, I kinda want to upgrade from my rx 580 to the 3070 or 3080.

I guess the biggest bottleneck my pc currently has is the power (500w)

You're going to need a 750 watt power supply for the 3080.

r1lSwtz.jpg

BluRayHiDef

Banned
If you throw enough GPu at it, anything will bottleneck. But extra GPU will still let you enjoy higher resolutions, RT effects, etc that you wouldn't without it.

That said the 3090 is stupid expensive, you could easily get a 3080 and a new CPU and mobo for the same costnand you'd be better off.
If my CPU can pull 60 frames per second from a 3090 in Cyberpunk 2077 at 4K with maximum or nearly maximum settings, I'll be content.

Codes 208

You're going to need a 750 watt power supply for the 3080.

r1lSwtz.jpg
That should be manageable. But out of curiousity what does the 3070 require?

Edit: from what I was able to gather it looks like the 3070 only requires a 650. I was initially planning on upgrading to a 2070s but I can’t ignore this price for a better card.

Last edited:
Is it really? Not asking in jest, I remember CPU being the problem for resolution, gfx for graphical detail, although a lot of work has shifted to graphics cards.
As the resolution goes up the stress is moved to the GPU, however some games stress the CPU much more than others (especially sim, RTS and other games that are pushing complex logic, this is rarely the case for games that are also released on consoles).

The game's logic is the game if the game runs at 720p or 4k, this is why if you run a game at lower resolution the GPU will gradually remove itself as a bottleneck and the CPU will be able to push more and more frames... if you put the resolution higher (without changing any other setting) the game's frame rate will flatten across CPUs to the point that at 4k most high end and mid-range CPUs will be able to push more than 60fps (and people who have 4K monitors a

Iorv3th

It's honestly going to be game to game. A beefier GPU will never hurt. If anything you can play at higher resolutions and downsample.

sendit

Firsly I am sure that there was a 6TF GPU for 800USD before and second 3090 have massive advantage with memory, so for futureproofing it's a great card. Also it's really cheap, when you take into account that is basically a "Titan" model. I have that card pre-ordered and cannot wait.

No such thing as future proofing. There is always going to be something better.

Top Bottom