• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would it be worth it to play Dragon's Dogma 1 before 2?

The main reason I'd be interested in going back to the original it's iirc the last or one of the last credits from the co writer of Haunting Ground, which is one of my favorite Capcom games.

Does anyone know if that writer worked on 2? Is 2 a direct sequel to the first story wise? Would I get more out of 2 if I played the first?

I'd love to play the original but it's also just a fact that I only have so much time.

Skifi28

Considering 2 looks more like a remake with everything as originally intended than a sequel, it'll be pretty hard to go back to the first one and mostly pointless. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game in it's own right, but feels a bit imcomplete and it's just not holding up well these days technically. I'd watch a story recap and if you're wanting for more after you're done with 2, maybe give it a try then.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

I wouldn’t have thought so, I don’t think it’s that kind of game.

Also, the first one is shit.

harry potter slapping GIF

Kacho

Sure why not. See how jank and unfinished it is before jumping over to DD2. It will give you a newfound appreciation for the sequel.

Fbh

DD1 is a cool game, specially on PC at 60fps+ and modding out some of the annoyances (like the limited sprinting).
That said the story is crap, it's definitely not worth a playthrough if that's what you are mainly interested in.

I'd just jump into 2. It seems like an improvement over the original in every way.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It sounds like, at least to some extent, DD2 is more of a remake or re-envisioning of the first game rather than a proper sequel, so I don't think you'll need to play Dark Arisen to appreciate DD2's story.

Dazraell

I remember reading somewhere that DD2 is set in a parallel world, so you probably don't need to play the first to understand what's going on

Senua

Man posts are harsh on the game so far.

DD is well worth a play, mate. The combat is so fun, especially as a strider, with Mage making you feel very powerful and is fun to fuck around with too. The story is basic as fuck but the atmosphere makes well up for it, night time in the game is pretty terrifying honestly. It's pitch black.

The DLC Dark Arisen is fucking awesome too, has a Souls feel and can be crushingly difficult at parts. So yea get the game preferably on PC if you can

MetalRain

I played maybe 10-20 hours of original, I don't think you should go there. Maybe even don't play next game, it's going to be very similar.

Poordevil

I really enjoyed Dragon's Dogma. It is a Japanese take on action RPGs like Skyrim or Fallout. But if you haven't played it I would hold off and play the new one. Two Dragon Dogmas is a lot to take back to back. It is not a simple game. No hand holding and a lot of gameplay to wrap your head around. Lots of exploring and discovering both above and under ground.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
You don’t miss out on anything skipping it.

It’s on gamepass and PlayStation plus and $5 on steam often. You can try and see if you like it.

Myself? Thought it was aight, but dropped it after a few hours to wait for DD2.

stn

Yes! It is an excellent game. Story-wise, I heard DD2 is a prequel, so you can always play 1/Dark Arisen after. It holds up very well.

Alebrije

I have tried to finish DD1 like 3 times , last was when DA arrived but after a time a left it, maybe is the lame world desing or boring story...

DD2 looks better on all aspects , SO maybe OP should skip 1, would be a waste of time.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's funny how the game is like 25 hours for just the story, but after you beat it, you can run through it in less than an hour
That's good to know and that's news to me. I've tried to tackle it a few times over the years and was always under the impression that it's like 50 hours minimum. I remember an old roommate dumping like 100+ hours into it.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That's good to know and that's news to me. I've tried to tackle it a few times over the years and was always under the impression that it's like 50 hours minimum. I remember an old roommate dumping like 100+ hours into it.
nah, it's a solid 25-30 hours for the story, but subsequent playthroughs take no time at all, I've beaten it literal dozens of times out of boredom.

ssringo

Not at this point. There's lots to do and places to go if you want the full experience but you'd probably burn out if you went right into DD2 after (and you say you have limited time). And if you just want the story then you get a bit at the beginning and not much of real importance until toward the endgame and the DLC dungeon. I'm sure there's a good YouTube video going over the story you could watch instead if you really wanted. Plus the second game is looking like it'll parallel a lot of stuff that happened in the first one. Might be worth going in blind as far as the story goes or at least waiting to hear some feedback on that front.

That said, the game is $5 on Steam right now.

Also, since it's been mentioned, subsequent playthroughs are much quicker because you know what to do and where to go so you don't have to wander around as much. And if it's a NG+ mode you've explored the world and set up teleports in key locations to rapidly zip around.

That's not even an impressive time. I just did what I thought would work well.

Smether

Forgive me for lacking the citation here, might have been Nextlander, but I heard on a podcast that the creator was asked if players needed to play one before going into two and he said no.

I've decided I'll skip one and go right into two for time reasons. I don't think I could get through it without a good 50 hours, maybe give or take ten, whatever it is I'd rather invest that into the better game.

Got to think that there will be an expansion too, so if you fall in love with it there will be a second helping on the way.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Did the first game even have a storyline? I remember enjoying it, but solely because of the mechanics - narrative, aesthetics, etc. really didn't have a lot of effort behind them. Cool game overall, but not something I'd rush to play before the sequel.

Drake

It's pretty good. If you do play get the unlimited sprinting mod. I thought the game was unplayable without it.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Dragon’s Dogma is one of those games that has a lot of underlying systems that go unnoticed. Are you currently on fire? Roll into water if there is some nearby to put out the flames. Want to keep griffons from flying too much? If you can’t set it on fire, a few fat fuck pawns hanging on will encumber the griffon, lmao. Not too many games have your character’s physical appearance in character creation impact their stats.

There are many half-baked ideas that I hope are fully fleshed out for the sequel. Seeing footage of a player dragging monsters into a village in DD2 and causing villagers to react was great. The impact is significant since NPCs can be permanently slain.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Did the first game even have a storyline?
yes, there's many smaller story lines going on, like the duke's wife or mercedes, but the actual story only concerns the arisen and the meaning of the world itself.

What is your purpose here, arisen? if you sought to live you, you had naught but run and hide yourself away.
But then, tell me child of man, what does it mean to live, in truth?

one of two cutscenes I never skipped.

fatmarco

Part of the reason I'm not as hyped as I might have been for Dragons Dogma 2 is how much it looks like a remake rather than a sequel, to the degree that its clear it has the same locations despite being a "new world".

I get that the universe in these games are meant to be part of a cycle but its ridiculous to see Bluemoon Tower in the distance and the same ancient ruins outside the city gates, the city that also sits on the coast.

d2s-city-compared-to-two-views-of-gran-soren-v0-5ahoeup2h74b1.jpg

I played through all of Dragons Dogma 1 recently and I'd say its definitely a great game that's worth playing, but it is a case that 2 might just be a 1.5 version of the original.

Meicyn

Gold Member
yes, there's many smaller story lines going on, like the duke's wife or mercedes, but the actual story only concerns the arisen and the meaning of the world itself.

What is your purpose here, arisen? if you sought to live you, you had naught but run and hide yourself away.
But then, tell me child of man, what does it mean to live, in truth?

one of two cutscenes I never skipped.
Honestly, the game probably threw off a lot of folks when the credits start rolling. The final puzzle pieces that tie in the story, the world at large, and even the game’s main vocal theme aren’t really given until you complete the epilogue. I’ve always wondered how many folks even bothered visiting the Everfall in post-game, met the seneschal, etc.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
QoL improvements of the sequel are going to be a lot better. That’s what I believe will happen. No going back except for nostalgia purposes or a Remake years down the road. I don’t recommend the first one over the sequel because you’ll spend a lot of time when you could just have a blast with better gameplay with the sequel.

I also don’t see how the writer of DD was amazing. I loved the game for what it did with its combat, but the story was nothing to remember.

Last edited:

Svejk

The first one is still fantastic and GOATed, but there's no point at this moment. It would be a time constraint to get to the good stuff of the game.

For some added context I want to emphasis just how much sentimental value there is for Haunting Ground with me, so any connection between the two games creates a lot of interest.

This is part of why I'm excited to see DD get a sequel in the first place, makes me hope if it's a success Capcom might be willing to give more "deep cuts" a second chance ie Haunting Ground.

bbeach123

DD1 is one of the weird game where its fun IF you know what you doing .
For exam the (physical) damage calculation was one of the weirdest I ever seen in any modern RPG.

Its a simple atk-def = final damage .

But the problem is early game there are so many monster that had high defense , so your attack deal literally no damage to them . Elemental weakness was huge too .

So the different between hitting weakpoint / hitting the right elemental / having enough level/ have a good weapon in this game was freaking HUGE compared to others game . If you hit everything right the fight last 10 minute , if not its can take hours.

Last edited:

GymWolf

No, just wait for dogma 2.

The games are similar enough to get burned if you play them back to back, and frankly the first one is an honest to god 6\10 game.

The story is not even connected except maybe some easter egg here and there.

Last edited:
No just go straight into 2. If you play 1 right before 2 launches it will ruin the experience. It is a standalone story so you don't need to even play them in order.

Last edited:
Top Bottom