• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Still possible there are some secrets and changes in this version, no? I don't know either way, sincerely asking. (Does the game feature any collectibles or some purpose-driven replay value?)

It seems that I was wrong and there are bonus rooms that weren't in the original.

Ladekabel

Never played a Wonderboy/Monsterboy/whateverothernamestheserieshashad but bought this for my Switch because I would love to play a Metroidvania-ish game on it. The art looks great on the Switch screen and so far I haven't had any problem with the split-button D-Pad. Only did the castle upon the transformation so far but that was fun so far. Only thing I got to get used to is the movement.

I hadn't played any of these games before. Now I've beaten the third boss (including the very first one) and will finish up for the night. It's exciting. :)

Are non-key chests empty in future lives after being opened? Since I had 3 potions already when opening one or two chests with potions in them. And it seems I am capped at 3 potions at once. I kept getting more while already having 3 in drops from enemies and other ways, on this life.

XaosWolf

Just found a secret area in
the underground caves

Mouse-man don't fall obstacle course challenge. No idea if this is new or not. (I'd guess yes?)

moozoom

Trying to buy the game on the Pal e-shop, but I get errors of the server... is anybody experiencing downtime in Europe / France or is it just me ?

I get error code 2124 - 8006 (?)

AmyS

Yup.

0w3SEbU.jpg

Illinois here.

Need impressions on how the Switch version runs compared to PS4.

Hopefully it'll be up on NA eShop soon. I was hoping to play it a bit between classes.

Seeing these positive impressions has got me even more hyped.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yup.

0w3SEbU.jpg

Illinois here.

Need impressions on how the Switch version runs compared to PS4.

FAQ on Lizardcube says all versions run identically (locked 60fps 1080p). There's also 12 minutes one of the sites on the handheld version that shows no drops that I could tell (obviously 720p)

Kojaq

Remember playing this at a friends place when i was a kid, could finish it in under 5 mins. Day 1 purchase for sure.

Bog

Junior Ace
Remember playing this at a friends place when i was a kid, could finish it in under 5 mins. Day 1 purchase for sure.

You lie like a Rugg.

(Ken Rugg was the biggest liar I knew, but his whole family was guilty of it)

pmj

The save system is terrible. Zero indication when and where it saves and no way to give yourself a set starting point with potions and items without writing down passwords I guess. Sucks for you if you had multiple potions and lots of items and then die, it's all gone now with no way to roll back.

Before dying I did find a secret that wasn't in the original, so that was cool.

I also thought the game was hard until I switched over to old graphics. It's just so much more readable in that mode. Or maybe it's because I'm used to it looking that way from countless hours on the Master System version.

Edit: How do you even start from a password in this version of the game? I can't find anywhere to enter it.

AGoodODST

I never played the original so this is completely new to me.

The art is pretty incredible. I really like the music too. Is there a way to switch between forms?

Glix

Just finished downloading onto my switch.

I love the title screen so much I don't even want to start. I just keep flipping it between boy and girl.

I've noticed that no Switch games have any kind of attract mode. Weird. Is that an industry thing I just didn't notice?

I'm somewhat sure that it was part of cert back in the PS2 days.

Glix

The save system is terrible. Zero indication when and where it saves and no way to give yourself a set starting point with potions and items without writing down passwords I guess. Sucks for you if you had multiple potions and lots of items and then die, it's all gone now with no way to roll back.

Just hit the capture button, friend.

Psxphile

How does the save system work in the game?

Anytime you "return to title screen" from the looks of things. It saves your status (money, sub-weapons, etc.), but I think it starts you at The Village when you continue every time.

There's no auto-save from what I can tell, though maybe it does when you enter new areas since after all the only thing it saves is your status. In a lot of ways it works exactly as the old password system does.

EDIT: I've confirmed it auto-saves your status after every scene transition. Enter a door? Auto-save. Walk between screens? Auto-save. But always on continue it puts you back in The Village.

maxcriden

Anytime you "return to title screen" from the looks of things. It saves your status (money, sub-weapons, etc.), but I think it starts you at The Village when you continue every time.

There's no auto-save from what I can tell, though maybe it does when you enter new areas since after all the only thing it saves is your status. In a lot of ways it works exactly as the old password system does.

EDIT: I've confirmed it auto-saves your status after every scene transition. Enter a door? Auto-save. Walk between screens? Auto-save. But always on continue it puts you back in The Village.

Excellent to know, thanks very much!

pmj

Switch - The button on the left joycon under the directions

PS4 - The button that used to be "select"

PC - The button that says PRTSCR

Okay. Pressing Share on the PS4 controller takes a screenshot, like in every other game. I can't tell if you're fucking with me. I'd RTFM but there is no FM.

Switch to 8 bit mode and enter the village church
I know how to GET a password, what I don't know is how to ENTER it back in again to start the game.

Svejk

So happy this exists!! Let this be a shining example that there is more than enough reason to do the same rework on tons of older 8-16 bit games; Not a remake, just a revision. =)

Glix

Okay. Pressing Share on the PS4 controller takes a screenshot, like in every other game. I can't tell if you're fucking with me. I'd RTFM but there is no FM.

I know how to GET a password, what I don't know is how to ENTER it back in again to start the game.

I bolded the part about "writing down the password". Thats what I was responding to.

I apologize for the confusion.

Just was trying to help out as I started using "capture" for certain stuff in games (recipes on the walls at stables in Zelda) and it makes life so much easier.

EDIT - Holy shit! Lizardcube, please please please please give your retro filter tech to Hamster. PLEASE!

EDIT2 - I cannot find where to input the passwords as well. Perhaps you have to unlock it? I'm pretty sure its mostly pointless anyway, the game constantly auto-saves but will start you in the village no matter what.

Welp, I'm done for the night :)

Got Mouse-Man

Was grinning non-stop the entire time I was playing too

Only thing to mention is yeah, game has a ol' school physics/momentum ala Sonic or Ghosts and Ghoblins. It's nuances that you have to get used to and yeah, I'm glad they didn't change it.

XaosWolf

I cannot find where to input the passwords as well. Perhaps you have to unlock it? I'm pretty sure its mostly pointless anyway, the game constantly auto-saves but will start you in the village no matter what.

Seems to only be accessed via a New Game file.

So Play > Blank Save > Select Difficulty > Press X/Triangle/Y for 'Enter Retro password'

Glix

Welp, I'm done for the night :)

Got Mouse-Man

Was grinning non-stop the entire time I was playing too

Only thing to mention is yeah, game has a ol' school physics/momentum ala Sonic or Ghosts and Ghoblins. It's nuances that you have to get used to and yeah, I'm glad they didn't change it.

Yeah, I fell in the water a bunch of times near the start until I re-acclimated. Glad they didn't change it either.

Top Bottom