• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Ernest

Banned
I have a grudge with this game, as it's trailer said "out now", before it was out! I kept looking for it on PSN and couldn't find it, not even a preorder for it.
I know I'm being petty, but that's some fucked up uncoordinated bit of marketing there.

Anyhoo, looking forward to finally being able to download this tonight.

steveovig

I'm trying to decide between the XB1 version and the Switch version. Does the Switch version have any in-game achievements?

LordKano

I played one hour and it just came to me : the Switch's screen will truly shine with 2D games. It's mindblowing how good the game looks on that small screen with a native resolution. It's so sharp, so colorful, so pure.

I played one hour and it just came to me : the Switch's screen will truly shine with 2D games. It's mindblowing how good the game looks on that small screen with a native resolution. It's so sharp, so colorful, so pure.

Ugh... so jealous and cant wait to buy that version down the road.
That was the version i was gonna play with my kids as im currently deployed, but brought my PS4 :)

ok i finally found the
hades armor, didn't knew i could change form with the tasmanian sword!

I'm still missing one sword, the one at the top of the right column in the menu, any idea what this is?

bumpkin

Woot! Downloading it now on my Switch. I was getting an error trying to access the eShop at first, but that seemed to be resolved once I did the latest system update.

How's the pixel scaling for "retro" mode on Switch, in both handheld and docked mode? This is a pain point for me, and after Blaster Master I want to be sure before I buy.

pmj

I'm gonna have to double dip on PC so that I can use my Saturn USB pads with this. The PS4 controller is fine and all, but it feels wrong here.

I'm gonna need to pick up physical releases too if they happen.

how do i get the
pink question mark box
in the underground shop? it just said that i need
a "charm"

Charm in the original game is a stat affected mostly by equipment but also by charm stones that have a small chance to drop from enemies. If you don't have enough charm points, stores won't sell or even show certain equipment. It might do more, but it was ages since I played this game.

In THIS game, however, I don't know how any of this works. I can't find any mention of charm points anywhere in the GUI.

Dremark

Banned
I got to sit down with it for a few minutes. The game is intact and looks great. I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks it might look interesting.

Glix

How's the pixel scaling for "retro" mode on Switch, in both handheld and docked mode? This is a pain point for me, and after Blaster Master I want to be sure before I buy.

Seems fine to me, but I'm not super sensitive to this sort of thing.

You can control scanlines of increments of 10% and there is a really cool "retro monitor effect" and "gamma correction" that can be toggled. With everything on it really does a great job of creating that "crt feel"

I'm constantly switching back and forth as I play its so cool.

Fredrik

I'll check again tomorrow but I dunno man, it was always a struggle for me to get to piranha man alone without using a hell of a lot of potions, yet I breezed it on the remake barely taking any damage. Pretty sure I could get nearly two shot by some enemies but as mouse man I was getting smacked around repeatedly and barely taking any damage. Played through dragon curse recently too so it's pretty fresh in my mind.
Yeah it's really not challenging on normal mode. Just got to swap to the lion man, still without deaths. Is it possible to change to hard mode without starting over?
Still, I love love love the game!

I'm gonna have to double dip on PC so that I can use my Saturn USB pads with this. The PS4 controller is fine and all, but it feels wrong here.

I'm gonna need to pick up physical releases too if they happen.

Charm in the original game is a stat affected mostly by equipment but also by charm stones that have a small chance to drop from enemies. If you don't have enough charm points, stores won't sell or even show certain equipment. It might do more, but it was ages since I played this game.

In THIS game, however, I don't know how any of this works. I can't find any mention of charm points anywhere in the GUI.

charm points? Never saw any of that and i'm at the end of the game, it's the only shop where there's this thing!

also i found one of the secret zone (i believe it's new to this version), there's one per form, but i can't find the other ones!

I've found 2 (I think) of the new secret zones so far. They seem to be pretty tough areas.

It's nice to have some new stuff to explore for. As someone who has played the original so many times, earlier today when I was playing I was feeling like I could probably wrap this up in a few hours if I really wanted too - trying to make it last longer though. :p

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm now 100% convinced I'll get Rayman Legends, 2D looks so good on this little screen.

My library keeps building, I now officially have a backlog.

Onb8vl3.jpg

Psxphile

I like the videos in the Gallery that unlock as you go along... especially of the making of the remixed soundtrack. That flute solo.

... at least I thought it was a flute...

Robin64

Found a neat trick that lets you lock the graphics mode transition in place. When you press the button and the transition comes across the screen, start hammering the button so it never makes it to the other side. Each time you get it right, it gets slower, til eventually it just stops. Then you can carry on playing like that. Weird!

liquidtmd

Banned
OP checking in - finally finished work, done my domestic bits with the family and now can formally lock them away and get going.

Hype at critical!

8B07X4I.jpg

Social

I am enjoying it, never played the original. I do find it quite hard sometimes, but not so much that it's TOO hard, you just need some skill... and potions :D

Finished the game a couple of minutes ago and only the "Beat the game on Hard Mode" trophy is missing now. I played the original many many times in the last 20 years, so this was a dream come true.

I almost always choose female characters in games because male characters are just boring to me. I found it incredibly cool that picking the female option in this game changes the intro title to say "Wonder Girl".

Ah the memories. I played this lots of years ago on my SEGA Master System ( which I still own ). It was a great game back then and it's quite difficult to get a CIB version nowadays. Gonna buy and see if it stil holds up.

Robin64

As a first time player, I am finding this quite difficult. I got changed into a mouse, found a tower, made my way through a lot then died. Now I'm back at the village? Oof! Fun though, loving it.

Need a little help.
I need to turn back into the lizard guy to continue to the pirate zone
it's after you find the transformation room for the first time.
No idea where you can transform again. You can't go back to the lava area cause you need to be the lizard guy. Any ideas?

gafneo

Banned
So far so good. I constantly switch between new and retro art. Both are great styles. Hard to go with just one.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
game is truly a labor of love

all that's missing is the retro menu screen and the superior PC Engine soundtrack

I would never use the word superior. definitely "different" or "alternate". That being said, the TG-16/PCE soundtrack was likely as much a labor of love as this one and would have been an amazing (albeit probably impossible) inclusion.

Funny thing is the TG-16 game was my first exposure.. it was only.. maybe 6 months later, that I played the SMS game (even though I had a SMS since ~87)

Psxphile

So, is the difficulty on Normal actually easier than the original?

Probably. You do seem to get more money from each kill, making easier to afford new equipment without having to grind (much).

I suppose Hard difficulty is the same as the classic game's standard mode.

jwk94

Guys, I beat the Lion Man section!!!!! The boss almost wrecked me.

So wait, if I die in the was to the Boss, I have to redo everything? This really is old school

yep! That's my main complaint. To make things a lot easier, go to the place with the desert and grind items for a little.

Vaev

OP checking in - finally finished work, done my domestic bits with the family and now can formally lock them away and get going.

Hype at critical!

8B07X4I.jpg

Nice work OP, just a side note though — where can I steal that PS4 theme? Must have...

Skeletos311

Probably. You do seem to get more money from each kill, making easier to afford new equipment without having to grind (much).

I suppose Hard difficulty is the same as the classic game's standard mode.

That sounds about right. I noticed that I could take a ton of hits, but I also bought the armor at the first shop right away. The clouds are still assholes and enemies seem to act the same.

ultrazilla

Bought this on Switch. So charming! Runs silky smooth, tight controls and wonderful graphics. Retro graphics and sound modes are super cool as well! Played the docked version with my pro controller. Haven't tried the handheld mode yet.

Top Bottom