• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Robin64

UK represent! The title card is gorgeous, absolutely love the art for this game.

C9rsZ8pVYAA-ssY.jpg

ggx2ac

If you're hard up for money, you can always save, quit, then reload. All of the treasure chests will be replenished.

May as well add that
the lucky sword gives extra gold from all types of gold drops and if you go to where the legendary sword is after you reclaimed it,
the chest there will give you a lot of gold compared to the others you'd find.

Fredrik

Never played the original but from the look of it it's an amazing remake and it plays perfectly on Switch, love it!
And I'm amazed at the art, so much love is poured into this title, Nintendo should hire these guys for some NES remakes, this game looks absolutely wonderful and being able to swap to the original is really cool too :)
Is it easier than it should be on normal though? Feels like I just started and I've already made my swap to piranha man with no deaths and I've never played it before. I played through Wonderboy in Monster World a few years ago and nearly pulled all my hair out from the brutal challenge.
Edit: already made my swap to piranha man, not lizard man, lol

Never played the original but from the look of it it's an amazing remake and it plays perfectly on Switch, love it!
And I'm amazed at the art, so much love is poured into this title, Nintendo should hire these guys for some NES remakes, this game looks absolutely wonderful and being able to swap to the original is really cool too :)
Is it easier than it should be on normal though? Feels like I just started and I've already made my swap to piranha man with no deaths and I've never played it before. I played through Wonderboy in Monster World a few years ago and nearly pulled all my hair out from the brutal challenge.
Edit: already made my swap to piranha man, not lizard man, lol

It's way, way easier for some reason.

XaosWolf

Jeeeeesus this game is beautiful. I keep switching back and forth to see how much the graphics have changed and its kinda mindblowing.

Is playing with new graphics and music but retro sfx the way to go?

bock

Enemies hit way way softer, money drops in huge amounts and prices reduced for all gear.

Checked earlier on the SMS version. Way way harder.

That's not the case. Perhaps you checked with different settings?

Enemies hit the same, money drops are the same (but there are slightly more items drop) and equipment prices are the same.

There is a way to increase money drops but that was already in the original. The main difference in Normal mode is that you get a little more life when restarting than the normal 1 heart. The price of consumable items (boomerang) in the secret shop in the village was however reduced but they are still too expensive to be really useful (changed more "absurdly expensive" to "expensive")

That's not the case. Perhaps you checked with different settings?

Enemies hit the same, money drops are the same (but there are slightly more items drop) and equipment prices are the same.

There is a way to increase money drops but that was already in the original. The main difference in Normal mode is that you get a little more life when restarting than the normal 1 heart. The price of consumable items (boomerang) in the secret shop in the village was however reduced but they are still too expensive to be really useful (changed more "absurdly expensive" to "expensive")

I'll check again tomorrow but I dunno man, it was always a struggle for me to get to piranha man alone without using a hell of a lot of potions, yet I breezed it on the remake barely taking any damage. Pretty sure I could get nearly two shot by some enemies but as mouse man I was getting smacked around repeatedly and barely taking any damage. Played through dragon curse recently too so it's pretty fresh in my mind.

ggx2ac

I'm​ not going to burn myself out. Will finish looking for the other
hidden unknown areas later. I know one of them is in the sky castle, I just can't break the block due to the lack of space.

Jazzem

Man, this looks gorgeous on the Switch's screen :3 I love the extensive retro aesthetic options too, I had no idea there was an sound option re-imagining* the original music through the Mark III's FM expansion.

Only a bit into Mouse Man's area but this is easily one of the best game remakes I've ever played, major kudos to the devs and I really hope this does well for them!

EDIT: *Oh wait, having looked it up the original release supported the FM sound? Wow had no idea, very happy they included it regardless.

I like the game so far but I'm very frustrated by hitboxes and weird controls. It just doesn't "feel" right. Also, this game explains nothing. I have no idea what I'm doing or where I should go next?

JPS Kai

I like the game so far but I'm very frustrated by hitboxes and weird controls. It just doesn't "feel" right. Also, this game explains nothing. I have no idea what I'm doing or where I should go next?

Chances are you should go down into the well. And yes, the pathing is a bit cryptic. There's usually only one little roadblock that requires a specific ability in order to unlock an entirely new area.

Chances are you should go down into the well. And yes, the pathing is a bit cryptic. There's usually only one little roadblock that requires a specific ability in order to unlock an entirely new area.

I found the
beach
but only got a key at the end? Then there's the
swamp, the desert
, etc...but I die pretty quickly in these levels, so I probably shouldn't go there?
edit: How does the game save?

Tareskog

Oh shit it's out already?! One of my favorite games from the early Sega-era. Absolutely love the soundtrack. The art direction also looks god damn amazing. Can't wait to come home to play it. Too many good platformers waiting for me to dive into. Good thing I'm soon done with my final exam assignment..

Freeman76

Definitely interested to know what the real deal is with this (I'm planning on getting it later on PS4 either way, but until then have work to deal with). Does the remake default to easy or something? I read in the Eurogamer review they mentioned a few new difficulty options.

Love your avatar bock.

No you get a choice of difficulty, easy normal or hard. No way is it easier than in '89, maybe on easy but if you play on hard you will be pulling your hair out.

Jazzem

This game makes me want a lovingly hand-drawn remake of MWV.

That one was my childhood. =)

I basically want every Wonder Boy game done in this style, even the weird SHMUP one :D

Hell why stop there; imagine them tackling stuff like Alex Kidd or Psycho Fox! I want this dev to succeed so badly, heh.

D.Lo

Man, this looks gorgeous on the Switch's screen :3 I love the extensive retro aesthetic options too, I had no idea there was an sound option re-imagining the original music through the Mark III's FM expansion.
no reimagining, the original had FM on the cart. Been playing it with FM on my Mark III (via cart converter) for years.

Jazzem

no reimagining, the original had FM on the cart. Been playing it with FM on my Mark III (via cart converter) for years.

Yeah I looked it up shortly after posting, was surprised to see that was the case. I'm one of those weirdos that often prefers the PSG sound, though having the option for both is of course the way to go.

Firebrand

Damn shouldn't have clicked the spoiler tags, didn't even know
there was new content in this
, lol.

Cool of them to include the FM soundtrack, but I think some tracks do sound better in the PSG version, like Monster Town and Sidecrawler's Dance.

Robin64

I keep pressing ZR all the time to see what areas used to look like. The new graphics are so beautiful, though.

I keep pressing ZR all the time to see what areas used to look like. The new graphics are so beautiful, though.

Really think I will go with the updated art and old sounds and music for my first play through :D

Love how you can switch them all on the go so easily.

WITHE1982

Really think I will go with the updated art and old sounds and music for my first play through :D

Love how you can switch them all on the go so easily.

That was my initial plan but I find myself switching them whenever I enter another area.

I fact I've only just killed the Mummy Dragon and I've been playing for over an hour. It's so much fun to compare new and old on the fly.

Top Bottom