• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The only problem I have with TNO is that whilst it's an awesome game and tells a great story/cool characters etc after playing through it a couple of times I can't be bothered replaying it. Not due to it being a bad game of course but because of the way its paced it kills the momentum if you just want to go shooting things as you have no interest in watching the cuitscenes/walking around the hub area etc.

It's why I tend to replay the other Wolf games rather than TNO due to that. Do we know the structure of The Old Blood ?

ezekial45

Banned
I hope they retain some of the writing from TNO. Though I realize that TOB is going for more over-the-top retro action, the narrative for TNO was incredibly well-written. And it featured some of the most poignant character moments I've ever seen in a Nazi/Military FPS title.

In my dream, I smell the barbecue.
I hear children.
A dog.
I think I see someone.
Someone I love.

These things are not for me.
I move by roaring engines.
Among warriors.
We come from the night.

antitrop

Do or die, son. Same as always.
MachineGames are wizards. They took BJ from the epitome of generic to one of the most lovable and quotable protagonists of modern gaming.

I hope they retain some of the writing from TNO. Though I realize that TOB is going for more over-the-top retro action, the narrative for TNO was incredibly well-written. And it featured some of the most poignant character moments I've ever seen in a Nazi/Military FPS title.
Death at the gates again. Howling my name. Can't greet you today. Got a war to win.

My personal favorite line.

MachineGames are wizards. They took BJ from the epitome of generic to one of the most lovable and quotable protagonists of modern gaming.
Makes you just want to stab him in the chest a dozen times only to be answered by a big ole B.J. Blaskowicz bear hug like it was nuthin'.

ezekial45

Banned

Death at the gates again. Howling my name. Can't greet you today. Got a war to win.

Yeah, we totally fill this thread with great quotes. I loved that he actually talked to himself, which had some of the most poignant and hilarious moments in the game.

"Nazis dead. Nazi robot dead. Broke all your shit. Helicopter secured."

EDIT: Beat me to it.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I had a fuck of a lot of fun with TNO. I got my PS4 late and played TLOU for weeks before really digging into Wolf again (I loved RTCW/PC). The first bit turned me off completely because I was too used to TLOU, but since the Wolf platinum I've been aching for more.

Love the vibe of the new footage. A must-buy for sure.

The pipe should be fun
wolfenstein_the_old_blood_pipe_by_digi_matrix-d8s6zpi.gif

Can't wait to blast limbs off again
wolfenstein_the_old_blood_shotgun_leg_by_digi_matrix-d8s6zlq.gif

So glad challenge modes are now a thing, been wanting that for a way to play around with just the combat.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That was the line where I knew TNO was something special. More than just a goofy Nazi shooter, but a game with a heart. It walked a fine line in tone between funny and more emotional and some how pulled off both well.

FLAguy954

It was one of those games where I sat down thinking I was just going to play a mission or two, blew threw half the game in a sitting, and then was extraordinarily happy the game was twice as long as I expected so I could do that again after work.

Lmao same here! I was thinking to myself "Holy shit, there's more?!"

TNO is seriously the best 'pleasant surprise' game of all time.

Mine will always be "Nazi scum!" :)

....also, fuck the moon

Ryan7556

Neo Member
For some reason I always remember BJ saying this while in the trenches of the prologue in TNO.

"This isn't a war, it's the breaking of seals, the undoing of life itself.

Something about this line and the delivery just makes funny, especially so if you're dual wielding assault rifles while it happens.

Anung

Un Rama
Played up to chapter 2 but I'm gonna crash super hard.

Initial impressions
- Looks great.
- Dat art design.
- Nice split between open stealth sections and action.
- I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but the controls feel tighter and snappier.
- Level design is good with nooks and crannies.
- Not hit the meat of the story but seems intriguing.
- Game still has a wicked sense of humor.
- New weapons are beast.
- BJ <3

Can't wait to sink some decent time into shooting, stabbing, strangling nazis.

All the quotes you people are posting are fantastic. I'm not sure how MachineGames did it. The New Order walked the line of poignant, funny and self-aware magnificently.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Initial impressions
- Looks great.
- Dat art design.
- New weapons are beast.
- BJ <3

Awesome, awesome, awesome

Crashing myself since I worked a 5AM shift today. May set an early as hell alarm to get up and give this a go or just take a nap until 12.

Ryan7556

Neo Member

Initial impressions
- Looks great.
- Dat art design.
- New weapons are beast.
- BJ <3

Which new weapon feels the most satisfying to use so far? I'm looking forward to the rocket pistol, hopefully it's as fun as it sounds.

Anung

Un Rama
Which new weapon feels the most satisfying to use so far? I'm looking forward to the rocket pistol, hopefully it's as fun as it sounds.

That turns enemies into mush and it feels goooood. My standout weapon so far is the new bolt action rifle the Bombenschuss. Really hefty and reminds me of old medal of honor guns.

RexNovis

Banned
I can't believe this is only $20! What fantastic deal! Machine Games is seriously earning my respect and admiration as a consumer so far this gen.

Ryan7556

Neo Member
That turns enemies into mush and it feels goooood. My standout weapon so far is the new bolt action rifle the Bombenschuss. Really hefty and reminds me of old medal of honor guns.

Ah yeah, what about the carry-able machine-gun? (since there is a perk that lets you do that now right) That's another thing that sounds nice about this. From what it sounds so far, it seems the overall arsenal is going to be diversified a bit more compared to the TNO. Does it feel like that from your experience?

Anung

Un Rama
Ah yeah, what about the carry-able machine-gun? (since there is a perk that lets you do that now right) That's another thing that sounds nice about this. From what it sounds so far, it seems the overall arsenal is going to be diversified a bit more compared to the TNO. Does it feel like that from your experience?

Hard to say really because I keep falling back on the silenced pistol and knife and try and avoid combat whenever I can. Prefer ghosting levels but the new guns I've used so far feel great :D Got a few more empty slots as well so hopefully have a few more nice surprises.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

God damn, I gotta replay TNO. I had forgotten some of the great writing it has.

"I was a kid and the red tide was rising. Went in the water on account of disobeying father. Felt like my skin was on fire... like my skin was on fire...

...Thirteen years old. Fell in the pond by the stables. Came up covered in leeches.

....Greasy, dirty leeches.

Age eleven. Swam cross Forney lake on a bet over tin soldiers. But it wasn't as dark as this.

Age thirty two. Swam the cesspools beneath Deathhead's X-labs. But it wasn't as dirty as this."

Squishy3

Bah, my power cut out, and I didn't realize this was coming out so soon so I hadn't even bought it yet. That's an hour of not downloading it, now I can't start the unpacking process at midnight. :(

My download is going insanely slow. 100mbps connection (the actual Internet, not the PS4), 25GB downloaded and it says it still has 6 hours left. I don't feel like doing the math but hopefully it's downloaded enough to start playing at midnight ET.

I can't believe this is only $20! What fantastic deal! Machine Games is seriously earning my respect and admiration as a consumer so far this gen.

Just on that, how is this $39 AUD? I know we get screwed on prices with most things in but that's double the price. With the current conversion rate from US to AUD, it's around $26. Plus taxes this should be no more than $30 here.

Just on that, how is this $39 AUD? I know we get screwed on prices with most things in but that's double the price. With the current conversion rate from US to AUD, it's around $26. Plus taxes this should be no more than $30 here.
Can't help with PS4/X1, but for PC I think GMG has it at around the equivalent of $26 USD for AUD people.

MattyG

Banned
I'm so glad we're talking about BJ and quotes from The New Order. That game is so underrated, and it needs to be praised whenever possible. Everything about it is excellent.

My personal favorite non-BJ quote is J's monologue (SPOILERS).

I've been on the run my whole life. So sick of the silence. I figure when I'm gone I'll be silent, you know, 'til the end of time, but... this moment. Right now. It's gonna be loud.

It's got one of my favorite cutscenes ever too, and a fantastic track in it's own right in the same scene.

Also,
MAX HAAS

Top Bottom