• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood

MY4Z480.png

8XJoT5w.png

The year is 1946 and the Nazis are on the brink of winning World War II. In an effort to turn the tide in the allies’ favor, B.J. Blazkowicz must embark on an epic, two-part mission deep within Bavaria…

Part one of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Rudi Jäger and the Den of Wolves - pits BJ Blazkowicz against a maniacal prison warden as he breaks into Castle Wolfenstein in an attempt to steal the coordinates to General Deathshead’s compound. In part two – The Dark Secrets of Helga Von Schabbs – our hero's search for the coordinates leads him to the city of Wulfburg where an obsessed Nazi archaeologist is exhuming mysterious artifacts that threaten to unleash a dark and ancient power.
qHhhKj9.png

Platform: PC, PS4, Xbox One
Price: $19.99 / £14.99 / €19.99 / AUD$39.95 ($17.99 or your regional equivalent for PS Plus until release)
Players: 1
Developer: MachineGames
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Composer: Mick Gordon
Rating: ESRB: M / PEGI: 18 / CB: R18+
Release Date: May 5 (Digital), May 14 (AUS/NZ Physical), May 15 (EU Physical)
Unlock Time: PS4/Xbox One, May 5 at 12AM local time (Europe) and 12am ET (NA) / PC, Worldwide at 12AM ET
Download size: 38GB

PC Requirements
Minimum:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 @ 3.3 GHz / AMD FX-8320 @ 3.5 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560 / AMD Radeon™ HD 6870 (1GB VRAM) Hard Drive: 38 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 / AMD FX-8350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 / AMD Radeon™ R9 280 (3GB or more VRAM)
Hard Drive: 38 GB available space

The Action!
Experience MachineGames’ intense first-person combat as you brandish all-new Nazi-inspired weapons such as the bolt-action rifle, 1946 shotgun, and the grenade-launching Kampfpistole. Unlock your potential with a new set of perks for hi-octane action and vicious stealth take-downs.

The Adventure!
Explore breath-taking set pieces featuring rural Germanic towns, sprawling valleys tangled with cable cars and bridges, ghostly catacombs, as well as a return to the iconic Castle Wolfenstein. Use dual-wielding metal pipes to navigate the world with brand new wall-climbing abilities.

The Terror!
Go up against a new cast of vicious villains and enemies, including legions of hulking new Super Soldiers, elite shock troops, drones and the darkest and most terrifying Nazi creations yet.
8SZH0g0.png

JqJgBdo.png

pvkUO2c.png

1. Is this completely standalone?
    Absolutely. You don't need The New Order to play
  2. How long is this game?
    Supposedly 6-8-hours long, or roughly half of TNO.
  3. Is this game 1080p/60 fps on my console of choice?
    Seeing as The New Order ran at 1080p/60fps on the PS4/XB1, there's no reason to think The Old Blood won't as well.
  4. Do I need to play the TNO?
    No. The Old Blood was specifically designed so that anyone can play it. The Senior Producer John Jennings said that “People playing it in different orders will get a unique experience, but both of them will have a good time.” The game is promised to teach you everything you need to know about the gameplay while also not spoiling anything in The New Order.

But this might make you ask...
  5. Should I play The New Order?
    Absolutely. It made #7 of the GAF GOTYs last year for a reason. It's a fantastic, bombastic, old school FPS.
  6. Is this game censored?
    Yes, the German version (like with TNO) is censored.
  7. Yo, what the hell. Where is the PS3/360 version?
    There isn't one. Bethesda's explanation was that "To achieve our intended scope for the game, we decided to focus on current gen."
  8. Wait, there aren't any reviews yet?
    Yep. True story. No pre-release review copies were sent out.
  9. Where's the physical edition for my country?
    Australia, New Zealand and Europe only!
  10. Who came up with the OT title? It's damn good!
    Credit to SolidSnakeUS for the lovely title!
    |OT| Out With The New Order, In With The Old Blood
UvTUtEE.gif

This unlocks at a silly time in Europe. I will probably still wake up to play it though before class (like the madman that I am).

Kade

Preloaded on Steam and I've got tomorrow off. I am so excited. My 2014 GOTY is about to get GOTYer.

Nice OT.

The games got an incredible sense of atmosphere.

The first hour or so is pretty drab, but given the scenario you find yourself in, it is understandable.

It seems fairly lengthy too, if the first chapter is anything to go by, although that is lengthened by trial and error gameplay and the second off last difficulty I was playing on.

Graphically about the same as TNO, Audio mix seems hit and miss.

Can't wait to play this game when it unlocks :). Also, seriously, I can't believe a suggestion of mine because an OT title lol. Thank you.

Carl

Didn't realise it was out so soon, honestly. Just preordered it and got it downloading now. Look forward to this :)

Am going to get this on the XBOX ONE since its so large in size(I think 35gb) anyone who downloads this for the X1 let me know if its any good..also thinking about getting Shovel Knight as well

I'm hoping it's more like the middle section of TNO and less like the beginning and end. The middle of TNO was god-tier Starbreeze FPS gaming, right up there with the better parts of the Riddick games.

shmoglish

Am going to get this on the XBOX ONE since its so large in size(I think 35gb) anyone who downloads this for the X1 let me know if its any good..also thinking about getting Shovel Knight as well

Buy ShovelKnight now and wait for the OldBlood Reviews (It will be great for sure)

Nice Ot.

Probably buying this on Friday as long as impressions are good here and I am willing to bet they will be decent at least. Love that it's set in the 40s.

Wolfenstein: TNO was a pleasant surprise for me. Really liked the characters and having the base to go back to. Excellent voice-acting. Gameplay was a blast too.

Buy ShovelKnight now and wait for the OldBlood Reviews (It will be great for sure)

Nice Ot.

Is Shovel Knight better for the X1..I read that it comes with some extra goodies that the PS4 version does not..I will wait til tomorrow to purchase Old Blood..I have about 40 dollars in microsoft dollars to use which is why I prefer the x1, besides its a huge file, wish PS4 would have external drive support like the x1 has

VodevilX

Banned
Soooo good they've gone with this expansion style, rather than dropping some shitty DLCs over a few months! The NO "killin' Nazis business" was so much fun, i expect nothing less, only shorter.

Jb

Can't wait. Playing Metro Last Light right now and I could use a slightly less stressful FPS to unwind :D

Weetrick

Love these stand-alone FPS expansions (CoJ: Gunslinger, FC3: Blood Dragon, etc) and Wolfenstein: TNO was my favorite FPS campaign last year so this is right up my alley. Will buy.

KorrZ

Pretty stoked for this. I really enjoyed The New Order, probably the most I've enjoyed a normal FPS campaign in quite some time.

Considering the price and the supposed length this seems like an absolute steal as well.

I'm hoping it's more like the middle section of TNO and less like the beginning and end. The middle of TNO was god-tier Starbreeze FPS gaming, right up there with the better parts of the Riddick games.

I also hope there's still some of that in there. I know they want this to be a shorter, more fast paced B-movie style expansion, but it's how the the slower playable moments and dialogue were paced alongside the action that have always made their games stand out IMO.

The New Order was such a surprise. I only picked it up this year and really enjoyed it. I will definitely be picking this up after I finish the games I am currently playing.

Top Bottom