• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Willy Wonka' reboot/prequel film by Warner Brothers inbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

NimbusD

They already did this recently. Don't bother being outraged because you'll probably forget about it considering most people outraged about this have forgotten about the last one.

Lagamorph

Will it be about his adventures in space that he clearly had prior to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where he saved the Earth from aliens who wanted to consume the entire human race?

Zubz

Banned
Didn't this get a reboot 10 years ago? And who really wants to see Willy Wonka before he became a choclatier?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Neo is also "dead". Shit, they'll have the machines upload their minds or whatever in the Matrix. Bam! They're gods now.

The Oracle says she's sure they'll see Neo again someday.

And no one but the Wachowski's should be in the creative chair. Reloaded is far better shot than most current blockbusters, and choreographed.

Korigama

WB are really desperate for franchises. Expecting this to suck as much as the Tim Burton remake, maybe more since this isn't even based on the book.

Ross61

Wait the critically acclaimed and financially successful Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is suddenly a bad film? Lol.

As somebody who has no nostalgia for the gene wilder one and who only likes the ompaa loompa music from the remake... eh why not? The glass elevator was interesting enough to warrant a film being made about it an of course you have to do a wonka begins first.
Imagine Jim carrey as wonka. Or Andre Benjamin. Or Chris rock. Or Charlie day. Or Jamie fox. Lots of room for improvements on the other two films.

Edit: also I hope everyone who complains About how Hollywood is out of ideas and makes too many reboots/remakes went to see all of the dozens of decent original films that totally bombed in say the last 5 years . It's easy to call execs out but much harder to do a bit of self reflection. Ask yourself what original movies have I went to see or supported by buying digitally or on blu ray in the last few years?? Statistically speaking your probably part of the problem.

Busty

Banned
Eh. If they get someone interesting onboard to direct this could be interesting but as is? I'm really no feeling this.

But it just goes to show that films like Willy Wonka are still be cash generators for WB and continues to do well in ancillary markets making this a viable proposition for them to continue it as a franchise.

Lagamorph

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is some goddamn bullshit, so I could see WB trying to take that on.
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is a masterpiece that most people don't even know exists even if they liked Charlie and the Chocolate factory.
I would love to see it get brought to the mainstream just to see the general public's mass "what the fuck is this" reaction.

hom3land

Looking forward to it! Should tell the story of a young Wonka discovering the umpa lumpas, and fighting off the evil forces that were trying to kill them. In the end they all have to flee to his chocolate factory.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Has anyone ever tried to bring the actual sequels to the cinema? Why make a prequel when you can make a trilogy of the books?

Korigama

Has anyone ever tried to bring the actual sequels to the cinema? Why make a prequel when you can make a trilogy of the books?
Roald Dahl denied permission to adapt the sequel after he hated the original Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, and he never finished the third book.

DopeToast

Banned
Of course they are going to franchise this. Let's make it five films.

Nothing is sacred, but that bothers me less than the fact that they can't seem or are unwilling to come up with anything original that reviews and sells well. It's really tiring.

I love movies and especially going to movies, but I hate the mainstream film industry right now.

also I hope everyone who complains About how Hollywood is out of ideas and makes too many reboots/remakes went to see all of the dozens of decent original films that totally bombed in say the last 5 years . It's easy to call execs out but much harder to do a bit of self reflection. Ask yourself what original movies have I went to see or supported by buying digitally or on blu ray in the last few years?? Statistically speaking your probably part of the problem.

The answer for me is sincerely a lot, and definitely more so than money spent on blockbusters. In the last few years I've actively sought out the more obscure stuff because it's gotten so boring, and I've had more fun with movies that way. I love a big, dumb exciting action/mystery/thriller, though, and would love to have more original options.

So is this gonna fuck up the Wilder version of the character or attempt to follow Captain Daddy Issues from Burton's?

This seems to be more of a "Fantastic Beasts" take where it's Wonka on safari in all the weird places he talks about in the original. Could be interesting to anyone who's into Wonkaian lore, read: noone. Hollywood continuing to not understand why movies are popular, especially not having any kids in it. CatCF is a moral fable with a adventure bent to support it, not the other way around. You lose the kids you lose the moral foil and the only thing grounding it in reality. It'll be another CGI snoozefest like the latest Alice reboots, I'd put money on it.

Also we don't talk about the acid trip that is the second book.

Willy Wonka - the college years.

Oh look at the crazy nerd Willy Wonka, let's bully him

???

Wonka makes some new chocolate bars

???

Wonka wins, buys factory!!

Luschient

giphy.gif

Madchad

As long as it contains a true likeness to the LSD boat ride that induces nightmares, tears and scars you for life ill pay to go see it.

With the new lease of life R/18 rated movies are getting ill be down for a proper one. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom