• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros considering casting female Willy Wonka for prequel

XvANr5N.jpg

Charlize and the Chocolate Factory, featuring Lillie Lonka? So this is a prequel that shows how this person transitioned to a man and started a confectionary factory?

Roni Roni here's the perfect example of what I was saying in the other thread

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think there're a lot of different ways to change up Willy Wonka and casting a female isn't it.

Grinchy

Banned
This would be almost as bad as just doing a CG Gene Wilder with one of those deepfake AI voiceovers.

sol_bad

As long as the film is good who cares. There is a movie coming out called Wendy based on Peter Pan that looks interesting.

H4ze

Then I consider to not give a fuck about that movie.
Why does Hollywood still think that crap might work out somehow? smh

Pretty pathetic if they can't come up with a new movie idea...

The only way I'd ever want to see this is if it was an alternate universe sequel where Veruca Salt won in the end and takes over in a dark horror comedy. And yes, all the Oompa Loompas need to be Peter Dinklidge.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Waiting for them to announce the gender-fluid actress.... which almost exactly looks like johnny depp with a fake beard ;)

No dont know if iam even interested in the prequel.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
The whole idea just reeks of corporate greed, feeding on the bugman's insatiable desire for deep lore (omg this is the CANON origin of the Oompa Loompas that some writer came up with in the past few years?!) about things that were written without deep backstories in mind to be consumed by children to teach simple and important lessons in a fun way. Roald Dahl likely wrote it and forgot it and moved on to the next idea. No one really needed or wanted to be filled in on just how Willy Wonka came into being.

Last edited:

TUROK

Instead of blowing a gasket every time a gender/race bent character gets announced, try doing literally anything else.

oagboghi2

Instead of blowing a gasket every time a gender/race bent character gets announced, try doing literally anything else.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Who is "blowing a gasket." People are just saying they aren't interested in a casting choice and a prequel no one asked for

Are you sure it isn't you? You seem to obsessed with having the contrarian opinion is any thread that criticizes anything

Last edited:

TUROK

:messenger_tears_of_joy: Who is "blowing a gasket." People are just saying they aren't interested in a casting choice and a prequel no one asked for

Are you sure it isn't you? You seem to obsessed with having the contrarian opinion is any thread that criticizes anything
Internet nerd culture is fucking obnoxious. If not fitting in with it makes me a contrarian, then that's fine.

oagboghi2

Internet nerd culture is fucking obnoxious. If not fitting in with it makes me a contrarian, then that's fine.
"oh no. Won't someone think of the culture? You guys are so mean to the billion dollar hollywood project"

No one gives a shit about what you think about the culture. Maybe you prefer a "culture" where everyone pretends to love everything and is full of fake shit. I would recommend a more corporate site, I don't know.

You're on a discussion board. You should be prepared for a culture of free expression. That means people having opinions that don't always praise things.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: LMJ

TUROK

"oh no. Won't someone think of the culture? You guys are so mean to the billion dollar hollywood project"

No one gives a shit about what you think about the culture. Maybe you prefer a "culture" where everyone pretends to love everything and is full of fake shit. I would recommend a more corporate site, I don't know.

You're on a discussion board. You should be prepared for a culture of free expression. That means people having opinions that don't always praise things.
Apparently criticizing your bullshit doesn't fall under "free expression."

Calm your nerd tits lel

ExpandKong

Banned
So it's gonna be two hours of a woman capturing a bunch of midgets and forcing them to take singing lessons? Filling out paperwork and checking zoning ordinances for building the chocolate factory?

Like at this point I don't even care anymore about the whole male erasure thing going on because who on earth is going to see this movie anyway?

"Ocean's 11 but uh....girls?"
"Ghostbusters but uh....girls?"
"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but uh....girls?"
"Star Wars but uh...girls?"

Hollywood is a creative wasteland.

As long as the film is good who cares.

Yeahhh it's not gonna be though.

Hinedorf

Banned
Get Tilda Swinton. lol

She doesn't look male nor female.

At first thought of a female for Wonka I thought HELL NO. But actually Tilda can play anything and she's the right bit of weird to be perfect for that type of role. I'd buy Tilda no problem

Nymphae

Banned
Why fucking bother? Was the world crying out for another Charlie and the Chocolate factory?

Proven IP + mildly controversial artistic decisions = a certain amount of guaranteed ticket sales and clicks/soundbites at the usual media rags/outrage centres.

Stitch

Gold Member
We already know about Willys childhood and where/how he found the oompa loompas so why do we even need a prequel?

ExpandKong

Banned
We already know about Willys childhood and where/how he found the oompa loompas so why do we even need a prequel?

Realistically it's probably because they'll lose the property rights if they don't put something out every so often and they'd rather push a turd into theaters than lose ownership of something

cryptoadam

Banned
Think about it.

Wonka is a white male who uses capatilism to become super rich, while he enslaves a native population (loompas) and exploits them.

Of course SJW's hate Wonka, he is evil incarnate to them. And of course he choses white bread Charlie to take over from him, not the girl or fat kid, but the white kid.

Wonka is a capatlist white supremacist power fantasy that pushes a fascist political system. Instead of remaking it we should be burning the 2 original movies, all the books, and digging up Dahls body and burning that too.

dionysus

Yaldog
Think about it.

Wonka is a white male who uses capatilism to become super rich, while he enslaves a native population (loompas) and exploits them.

Of course SJW's hate Wonka, he is evil incarnate to them. And of course he choses white bread Charlie to take over from him, not the girl or fat kid, but the white kid.

Wonka is a capatlist white supremacist power fantasy that pushes a fascist political system. Instead of remaking it we should be burning the 2 original movies, all the books, and digging up Dahls body and burning that too.

It is worse. He is actually a white savior of the oompa loompas in the books, and we can't have that. I have a hard time remembering though it has been a while. Like they lived in trees and predators would eat them or something.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Oompa Loompa gobbledy-glick
Who says that Willy must have a dick?

Oompa Loompa rickety-ree
Don't you know that it's 2020?

What do you do when ideas run dry?
Make the same thing, but get rid of the guy.

Box office bomba, ticket sales halt.
"Men won't go see this!
It's
Their
Fault!"

*i'm literally shaking*

Oompa Loompa flibberty-flay
Same old woke story, different woke day

Oompa Loompa shiggity-sham
Next time we'll try it with Frodo and Sam

I wonder what Roald Dahl would think of this himself. Just imagine being as creative and original as he was, and having your work sabotaged by corporations who have the rights to it.

NickFire

At what point do we stop looking at this nonsense as bad business decisions and start wondering what the real story is / are?

Top Bottom