• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Willy Wonka' reboot/prequel film by Warner Brothers inbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burton's version of the origin was an abomination. Wonka having daddy issues? Really?
Doesn't the ending of Revolutions really strongly imply that Neo is alive still, though? When they show his body being carried off at the end in all of that Neo fire vision, it's lit up like a Christmas tree - which the whole movie was supposed to imply energy/life
Could have been Smith now living in Neo's body. He was the last person to take control.

hiredhand

WB seems so desperate nowadays. It's probably only a matter of time until they start remaking/rebooting/making sequels to Kubrick films.

The Burton one is actually a far better, more faithful adaptation of the book than the original film, which Dahl despised.

Its biggest problem is simply that Gene Wilder was more fun to watch than Depp.

There were no dentist daddy issues in the book. Nor was Mike Teevee obsessed with video games.

shira

WB is so fucking thirsty for another film franchise it's pathetic.

200_s.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is this about how he meet the Oompa Loompas and founded the Factoy?

Eh, 2010 is actually a adaption of the second book. So its is not completly pointless.

I know I've seen both movies and read all the books including 3001. The point being WB would stand a good chance of fucking it all up.

JeTmAn81

Can't they just finally make a Great Glass Elevator movie? C'mon, man. Well, if this gets us there I'll take it.

Ivan 3414

There were no dentist daddy issues in the book. Nor was Mike Teevee obsessed with video games.

It's still more faithful to the book even with the expanded lore and changed details. In the novel, Veruca Salt's demise involved nut-cracking squirrels. That scenario was totally replaced with the golden egg-laying geese in the 70s movie, but was fully realized in the Burton movie. Teevee's demise is also basically the same as in the book. Even the lyrics to the songs after each child's demise are lifted straight from the novel in Burton's film.

Anung

Un Rama
The Butron one was one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. And I'm a Burton fan! Anything to wash that filth away is welcome.

I actually can't decide what movie is worse. This or Alice in Wonderland. Both were borderline unwatchable.

It's still more faithful to the book even with the expanded lore and changed details. In the novel, Veruca Salt's demise involved nut-cracking squirrels. They were totally replaced by the golden egg-laying geese in the 70s movie, but were fully realized in the Burton movie. Even the lyrics to the songs after each child's demise are lifted straight from the novel in Burton's film.

Disagree. The original was much closer. I care much less about geese vs. squirrels than I do about Depp Wonka's characterization and his dentist father.

hiredhand

I don't understand why would WB reboot Willy Wonka again when they own many other great children's films/franchises. Gremlins, The Goonies and The Never Ending Story are all WB.

I don't understand why would WB reboot Willy Wonka again when they own many other great children's films/franchises. Gremlins, The Goonies and The Never Ending Story are all WB.

Why are you wishing for them to reboot those?

Only one I could see being improved on at the moment is never ending story

Gremlins and Goonies would just be shittier with the talent we have today that would be up for making it

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
*Company X announces comicbook movie #2328219*

*WOOO, YES, OMG, HYPED, CANTSTOPTHISTRAIN*

Anything else: 'Ugh, fucking Hollywood. Do something original would ya'. Then they do (see Nice Guys this year, it was also WB) and it fucking bombs.

hiredhand

Why are you wishing for them to reboot those?

Only one I could see being improved on at the moment is never ending story

Gremlins and Goonies would just be shittier with the talent we have today that would be up for making it
I'm not wishing any of those to be rebooted. I just think they would make more sense financially.

I don't really know how you can build a franchise around Willy Wonka.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
No originality in Hollywood. None, zero, zip, zilch.

Yes there is. Tons of original movies actually. Not based on existing material. But no one goes out to see them. People rather watch a blockbuster for the 12th time then giving something else a chance. In the end it's still a business, so what do you expect from the studios? They try, it fails and then people get pissed about not having anything original. Wonder why that is. Disney got the right idea and knows what is working and what is not. WB figuring out what their yearly income could be.

Schlorgan

I'm not wishing any of those to be rebooted. I just think they would make more sense financially.

I don't really know how you can build a franchise around Willy Wonka.

Can we get Joe Dante to come back and make Gremlins 3?

Imagine how many more pop-culture references he could put in there!

jDMxrpR.gif

Alienfan

How long until the Matrix reboot?
please don't
That said, WB seems to be making a lot of cool shit that bombs financially; I guess I see why they're playing it safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom