• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Willy Wonka' reboot/prequel film by Warner Brothers inbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floex

I know Warner have gone off the boil for a while now but this studio can't seem to get anything right. Time for a change of leader

Schlorgan

Cinematic universes are terrible examples of long form story telling though. They could do it well but none of the ones I've seen have done it well at all. In fact it makes for weaker story telling in the movie itself as the knowledge a sequel or later property can fill in the blanks of flesh out a character or event means the current movie can skim over that.

I believe you're forgetting about the best cinematic universe:

Fast_and_the_furious_poster.jpg

I remember there was actually a lot of Wonka back story in the books, especially the Great Glass Elevator. Something about the crazy stuff he saw and did in the jungle.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Burton one is actually a far better, more faithful adaptation of the book than the original film, which Dahl despised.

Its biggest problem is simply that Gene Wilder was more fun to watch than Depp.

Being faithful to the book does nothing when it was not a great adaptation in the first place. The music wasn't as well done, the visuals were a mess, and Depp was terrible in the roll though part of that falls on Burton as well.

louiedog

I hope it's not gritty and angry like their super hero output, or dark in the way the Jungle Book movie they're putting out in 2018 is supposedly.

That first movie was great because it was psychologically dark, but not in its presentation and it worked so well.

The Burton one is actually a far better, more faithful adaptation of the book than the original film, which Dahl despised.

Its biggest problem is simply that Gene Wilder was more fun to watch than Depp.

Faithful adaptation and enjoyable movie don't automatically go hand in hand. I was totally on board for that Depp movie as a huge Dahl fan when I was a kid, but I really hated watching it.

Camjo-Z

People complain about the idea of "cinematic universe" but then completely ignore how well long form storytelling works in TV shows... for some reason having the word "cinematic universe" is some really weird negative connotation. TV isn't Film and vice versa, but long form story telling has a lot of strengths.

When I think "cinematic universe" I think of films that do things not because they'd make for a good movie, but because they're thinking of how they can convince people to go see to the next one, and the next one, and the next one. For example, this very reboot proposes the idea of other Willy Wonka characters appearing in a later film. Why wait for a sequel when people would obviously want to see them in this movie? Is Willy Wonka 2 going to have a post-credits teaser for the fucking Oompa Loompas? Will it all be leading up to the Great Glass Elevator crossover event where he travels through dimensions to meet up with the BFG and stop the Witches from taking over the world?

Pagusas

Elden Member
The Butron one was one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. And I'm a Burton fan! Anything to wash that filth away is welcome.

rhandino

Banned
!!!

Would love a sequel to the Burton film but I can take this...

WB really is thirsty for some Cinematic Universe coins tho.

Sephzilla

Neo is also "dead". Shit, they'll have the machines upload their minds or whatever in the Matrix. Bam! They're gods now.

Doesn't the ending of Revolutions really strongly imply that Neo is alive still, though? When they show his body being carried off at the end in all of that Neo fire vision, it's lit up like a Christmas tree - which the whole movie was supposed to imply energy/life

JesseZao

Who would be interested in this? I couldn't get past the first few pages of the sequel when reading it to my kids. I have no faith in the extended Wonka universe.

jmood88

Come on now. Its like the Movie industry is has run out o f ideas with all these reboots and prequels to date.
I really wish that people would stop repeating this nonsense as if it's some new thing that no one has ever come up with. Not only is it wrong, Hollywood has been doing reboots as long as it has been around, but the response itself is as creative as the thing people are criticizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom