• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Willy Wonka' reboot/prequel film by Warner Brothers inbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via Variety

David Heyman will produce. Michael Siegel, who is the manager of the Dahl Estate, will exec produce along with Kevin McCormick. “The Secret Life of Pets” scribe Simon Rich is penning the script. Courtenay Valenti is overseeing the project for the studio.

Sources reveal that the film will not be an origin tale, but a standalone movie focused on Wonka and his early adventures. It’s unknown who from the original book series, other than Wonka, will be involved in the project. If the reboot is a hit, it seems likely that characters like Charlie could be seen in future installments of a possible franchise

MyXgZNu.png

Finaj

No, just... no.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory does not need a franchise and I'm having trouble understanding how it would work.

cr0w

Old Member
So is this gonna fuck up the Wilder version of the character or attempt to follow Captain Daddy Issues from Burton's?

Peru

Common sense would tell producers no one has asked for this and very few people will show up at theaters.

a916

I don't connect at all with the super old Gene Wilder one and that Depp version was so off beat, didn't enjoy it either.

Really glad this is getting another look. Hopefully this origin leads into a better Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie.

DMczaf

With shit like this, I'm starting to think my joke of WB starting a Christopher Nolan Cinamatic Universe is becoming more of a reality

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Jesus Christ, WB is fucking thirsty for a new franchise.

They should do the Johnny Depp dressed in weird shit cinematic universe. It can just be Johnny Depps many strange ass characters all in one movie working together to stop Tim Burton.

Willy Wonka Depp
Mad Hatter Depp
Sweeney Todd Depp
Edward Scissorhands Depp

If the reboot is a hit, it seems likely that characters like Charlie could be seen in future installments of a possible franchise
I really wish Hollywood would stop thinking like this. Not everything needs to get its own cinematic universe.

HStallion

Can you imagine the on-set pranks?

Leto as Wonka fed one girl so much Candy she gained 300 lbs and then he painted her blue. You don't want to know what he did to the Augustus Gloop child actor...

mnannola

I don't connect at all with the super old Gene Wilder one and that Depp version was so off beat, didn't enjoy it either.

Really glad this is getting another look. Hopefully this origin leads into a better Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie.

6/10

Sephzilla

Next month: "WB looking into Matrix 4 as a soft reboot to launch a Matrix Cinematic Universe"

I'd be totally okay with this

a916

I really wish Hollywood would stop thinking like this. Not everything needs to get its own cinematic universe.

People complain about the idea of "cinematic universe" but then completely ignore how well long form storytelling works in TV shows... for some reason having the word "cinematic universe" is some really weird negative connotation. TV isn't Film and vice versa, but long form story telling has a lot of strengths.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm cool with more Wonka, as long as it's not another remake.

Could be good, could be bad; should be interesting to see how it pans out.

Cardon

Jesus. My kid makes me watch the old Willy Wonka all the time and even the crappy Tim Burton remake. Now I'm going to get dragged to this crap as well non-stop.

HStallion

People complain about the idea of "cinematic universe" but then completely ignore how well long form storytelling works in TV shows... for some reason having the word "cinematic universe" is some really weird negative connotation. TV isn't Film and vice versa, but long form story telling has a lot of strengths.

Cinematic universes are terrible examples of long form story telling though. They could do it well but none of the ones I've seen have done it well at all. In fact it makes for weaker story telling in the movie itself as the knowledge a sequel or later property can fill in the blanks of flesh out a character or event means the current movie can skim over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom