• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros considering casting female Willy Wonka for prequel

Nymphae

Banned
XvANr5N.jpg

Willy Wonka could reportedly return to screens as a woman in a new prequel film.

Bosses at Warner Bros. are allegedly considering taking on a female actress to play the role of the iconic chocolatier, after two previous adaptations starred Johnny Depp and Gene Wilder.

It's also been reported that after Warner Bros. acquired the rights to the character from the Dahl estate in 2016, they are in the process of putting together a production team for the film.

'A female lead is being considered,' a source told the Sun...'Film bosses realise it could spark a backlash but believe a female Wonka is a great way to give the classic story a fresh look.'

Charlize and the Chocolate Factory, featuring Lillie Lonka? So this is a prequel that shows how this person transitioned to a man and started a confectionary factory?

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Wilma Wonka?
Acceptable.

A prequel that leads to someone not called Willy Wonka? That's not really a prequel. That's its own story. Fuck that shit.
Ride the coattails of popular creations and then bitch that they aren't something else - fuck off!

Doom85

Still has a decent chance to be better than the Burton film. I know it has its fans, but I just couldn't even with that film. I mean, I generally think Burton works far better on original movies than adaptations/remakes (even Batman '89, while I enjoy, I don't care for a few elements ESPECIALLY Joker being the Waynes' killer, it makes the story way more cliched and dumbs it down from the idea that "crime in general took Bruce's parents from him" to "the MAIN VILLAIN WHO'S SUPER-DUPER BAD took your parents!", blech!), but even this was a low for him. Like, his Planet of the Apes remake was bad but it at was at least visually cool with the make-up and such, whereas Burton's Wonka movie was an assault on my eyes and (due to the obnoxious music) ears. I did like his Miss Peregrine movie, but I admit I've not read the books and I know most of the book fans were not happy with the film, so......yeah.

kunonabi

Nice to know they arent even thinking about making a quality movie.

Not that it had any chance of being as good as the first two versions anyway.

Last edited:
First there were the remakes, and then more remakes, and then more remakes, and everyone rolled their eyes and groaned.

But Hollywood got wise and decided to just change the lead to a PoC or a woman and now erryone

DeficientBrilliantAmericanratsnake-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

drganon

Why bother creating new stories when you can just remake things over and over again, this time with a woman as a lead to distract from the total creative bankruptcy.

cryptoadam

Banned
I'm waiting for Monique Poppins, Maria Jose Poppins, or Mei Poppins.

If they made an Asian Mary Poppins there would be some Poppins going on, in MY PANTS.

I wonder after the female remake of Willy Wonka, could we get a male remake 10 years down the line? Just go full cirlce.

Nymphae

Banned

Trogdor1123

I think it could work if done right. Now hear me out, what if it wasn't actually Willy Wonka, but the person that inspired him. The book is somewhat vague in addressing his past. Perhaps this could work. The end of the movie has a young Willy meeting her , perhaps near the end of her days, and the crown is passed on. Sort of a tradition handed down over generations. Could be thousands of years old. He takes on the legacy and builds his empire. Im not saying it's a good story at all.. just that it could work and not be terribly offensive. It also can't be called Willy Wonka at all.

Also, the Johnny Depp version sucks and shouldn't be acknowledged at all.

cryptoadam

Banned
Lets make it a female, then make sure its got a 150 million dollar budget, big CGI action scenes, a giant portal in the sky with huge armies fighting each other. Lilly Wonka needs to find 3 McGuffins to unlock her true super powers because she is the chosen one.

The golden ticket isn't just some ticket, its really the key to saving humanity and only Lilly has the powers to decipher it. So now in a race against time she must save the world. The oompa Loopas will be recast as CGI 8 foot tall creatures that can jump super high and have super strength.

Oh and it needs to be dark and gritty too. And timely, so lets shoe horn some Trump/Brexit illegal immigrant commentary. And Charlie can be replaced by a Greta insipired character so the movie can also talk about climate change.

Ok finally got it. Lilly Wonka and Greta must find the golden ticket to stop the evil change of climate caused by rich white men who only care about profits. The oompa loompa's are just trying to migrate from their homeland that was ruined and colonized by rich evil business white men. So now Lilly and Greta are saving the loompas by scurrying them across the border. But this all leads to a giant fight over the ancient golden ticket that holds the key. With the ticket the loompas become 8 foot tall soldiers and we get a giant battle at the end with a portal in the sky.

I am Jewish so that means I own hollywood thats why its such a good idea!

Hollywood and their genderfluid agenda. "Female Willy", as in female penis? It's obvious. And winning a "golden ticket" from a "Wonka bar"? Illuminati confirmed. This is Soros at his worst and most powerful, his final form.

GV82

Most of these ideas come from cis white males at the top in Hollywood trying to be relevant & getting in with woke crowd like “how do you do fellow kids”, going for the woke dollar they don’t really care about anything else other than money.

They should be replaced in their jobs with Women as a thank you for their thoughtfulness.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I have two alternative suggestions:

1) Make a movie based on the direct sequel
2) Make a movie based on one of Roald Dahl's other books.

Either of these would be preferable to yet another remake. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was only 14 years ago.

I agree, but neither you nor I run these companies so we have no say in such matters.

Gargus

Banned
Yes yes yes. Oh god yes please please let this be true. I want willy wonka to be a tranny feminist and I want all the ompa loompas to be female also. And I want willy wonka to try and teach children in the movies gay trannies are a good thing.

At this point I dont even care, all I want is for hollywood to burn itself to the ground. I want to see them upset so many people there are threats, shootings, fire bombings, to see all of california burn literally. I want to see chrisitans march against warner in the name of god on the evening news protesting.

Fbh

I see that now that they are almost done with the "shit that we can remake or reboot" list they are going straight to the "shit that we can remake or reboot......with a female lead" list

Another failed remake.

What are you talking about?
It's another Flawless movie. Any movie like this only has 2 possible outcomes:

It succeeds at the box office: because it's flawless
It fails at the box office: still flawless, it's just them evil misogynist alt righters that made it fail

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is this really about diversity or is it about a middle-aged man enticing kids into his van with golden tickets being kind of creepy nowadays?

CCqQwDI.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

well at least people can wank on wonka.

i hope they chose some hot actress at least.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I think this could actually work as a prequel, if they make the movie about Wonka as a kid, and make it into an origin story of how his mother started a candy company. It would have to be set in the 1940s or so to properly tie in with the real Willy Wonka movie, though, so I'm not sure how great that would be for diversity outside of women.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If anyone is wondering why we absolutely MUST open up the public domain and thaw the decades old freeze Disney has imposed....this is the reason. They just keep diving back into the well of just a handful of properties.

Who, anywhere, has asked for this?

belmarduk

I finally got around to seeing the Johnny Depp one and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.. it just didn't compare to the original.. and that wasn't very long ago. If its a compelling story, then why not?

Top Bottom