• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Switch 2 continue Switch's success?

Can the Switch 2 continue Switch's success?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LakeOf9

The current Switch has sold more than 132 million units, and by the end of March will be closer to 140 million units than not probably. Which is an insane level of success for a console that followed up on the Wii U (one of the biggest failures in console history) and one that was roundly pronounced as dead by everyone before release, including GAF.

Now Switch 2 is almost here. Based on rumours we should expect to see it early next year and release before 2024-end. So right now, before it is revealed, before we know more about it, based on nothing but the current Switch, how Nintendo has handled it, and brand momentum, do you think the Switch 2 can continue the level of success Nintendo saw with with the Switch? Do you think there will be a decline? Do you think it will be a big decline? Or a total collapse? Something else?

Aces High

That's a stupid thing to ask at this point.

We don't even know if it's going to be called Switch 2.

What if they give it some stupid name that makes no sense at all? Like Switch One. Or Switch Series N.

I think Switch is obviously a smash success, monster. I think the Switch 2 could perform better, say PS2/DS levels, but I think it's more likely it will be somewhat of a decline (not drastically) from the Switch though.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
There is a level of me hoping it will fail because WiiU gave us a new Nintendo franchise, Splatoon. Which I think was kinda Nintendo going, ah, fuck it, let's release something so out of our character on this failed console.

Switch has great games, but zero new gaming franchises by Nintendo (Astral Chain and Ring Fit Adventure don't count).

There's really no telling, but if I had to make a guess I'd say it'll be slightly less successful, but still sell a ton in the end IF it does things right. By that, I mean things like physical media slot for full bc with Switch, not be priced over $399 max, and keep the hybrid design ala the dock system.

Boy. People sure have Switch on the mind.
Oh Yeah Yes GIF by Ryn Dean

Mister Wolf

There is a level of me hoping it will fail because WiiU gave us a new Nintendo franchise, Splatoon. Which I think was kinda Nintendo going, ah, fuck it, let's release something so out of our character on this failed console.

Switch has great games, but zero new gaming franchises by Nintendo (Astral Chain and Ring Fit Adventure don't count).

shopping

Mister Wolf

Stand corrected! I wish they pushed it for a second game. I though it had a great base and an amazing art style, can't believe I forgot about it. Do you think they'll do a second one?

I hope so. It sold well when you consider that it still retails for $50+.

It has the Nintendo logo on it which helps and Nintendo will port 90% of Switch games over to Switch 2 and sell them for full price. I would imagine it will do well.

Robb

Gold Member
My guess, based on nothing, is that it’ll be successful but sell less. Maybe around 80M, so kind of a DS to 3DS decline.

Switch is one of the most successful, if not the most successful, system(s) ever. I don’t see them topping it any time soon. That goes both for software and hardware. I don’t expect the next Animal Crossing to break +40M units, for example.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
If it launches in 2024 at a decent price (€400 or less) and has some standout games early on, I can see it (almost) matching Switch sales.

The way I see it, launching on time is key. With Xbox out of the picture, PS5 has all the momentum while Switch is slowly losing steam. Switch 2 absolutely needs to release before Switch comes to a full stop to avoid a Wii-Wii U disaster.

But this is based on Switch 2 being a direct successor to the Switch and since we're talking Nintendo, who knows what Switch 2 will turn out to be. Might be something completely different than what we all think.

Majormaxxx

I don't about Switch 2, but how about we get a Will Smith 2?

None of that weird personal life and family stuff. Just get us old Will back.

Heck, while you're at it, bring out Jada 2.0 circa 2004 and her role in Collateral..

Sincere apologies for the diversion.

Now for switch - I'm getting switch 1 next year. Hope to have time for it :)

Anyone with feedback re oled VS OG?

SCB3

Its hard to say, it depends on how Nintendo market it, I'd hope they learnt from the Wii U being called that (and feeling like it was an add on to casuals) and you have to look at what the pandemic did for them (Animal Crossing being a major causal title as well really helped in those dire times)

Kilau

Doing Xbox 360 numbers would be a major decline over the Switch, that's what OP meant.
I see now, it confused me because some of those sales numbers are close but others don’t line up. Sticking to Nintendo systems or just numbers would have been better.

If they don't fuck it up with anti-consumer shit like having no backward compatibility, increased online paywall, not so much outdated HW by 2024 standards (it will be outdated), etc., then I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be as successful as the Switch, given the market/installed base, is at the end of the gen cycle and wanting to upgrade as fast as they could.

They'll pull in with their stellar software lineup at launch though, no matter what.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I voted it will be as successful. However, I don't really believe my own vote if that counts. The success really determines if they'll try something daring but completely different like they did transitioning from WiiU to Switch. The fan side which demands Switch 2 wants an amped version of the existing Switch for a next gen console or as some were asking about a year ago, 'Switch Pro.' Switch Pro is not something Nintendo would touch but rendering a new console based on Switch that ends up doing so much as carrying over the same name is a bad idea if they want it to be successful or even moreso than current Switch.

They are stuck with the fact that they're going to have to make console/handhelds from now on but, last thing I think anyone wants is something really exaggerated chocked with shovel ware like Wii to WiiU. And I'm sure we don't want to see another handheld that docks the same way. They've had enough years of r & d to start toying with a prototype.

graywolf323

yeah, I'm wagering it will perform around switch without the covid surge, so probably around 120 to 130 million,
that’s what I’m thinking too, COVID really ended up being a huge boon for the Switch especially with Animal Crossing releasing right at the start of the lockdowns

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That's a good question OP. It's the one thing I want to know the most at the moment.

There's a very big chance it will fail based on Nintendo's track record. They usually fuck up after a huge success. And also it is the pattern of the industry. The only follow-up to a huge successful platform that was even bigger so far was the PS2.

So yeah, we can't take it for granted.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This is the third thread today about a non-existent console.
If it helps I did clarify predecessor Nintendo (to Switch) like 3 times. I'm not sold on the whole 'Switch 2' idea but, it's really the only way to get feedback since that colloquial term's been floating around like 3-years now. Their track record (Nintendo) is like 5-6 -years between console releases. If there's nothing in 2024 that does exist for their next console, then something's really off. Otherwise, these threads are to be expected given how long people have waited to see what indeed is next.

Woopah

I should be as successful if they follow through with their first party expansion, don't let game quality drop and achieve significant improvements in third party support.

I'd say all three are very possible. They just need to make sure their latest innovation (whatever it is) doesn't get in the way.

History shows if anyone can fuck it up, it is Nintendo. However they have made sensible decisions with the hardware, price and have shown extraordinary software support with Switch. They need to do very little to ensure another raging success.

Reaseru

Wii U says hello...to early to say.

But I don't think so, because it will have again the portability factor. And that always sells for Nintendo and where they excell.

Kumomeme

as long they didnt repeat the mistake with Wii U, dont fix what not broken while dont introduce new shit and carry the momentum of current Switch, they can make a history

I have to take issue:

It will be a moderate decline (PS1/Wii/PS4/GameBoy)

Maybe the PS4 was a decline but I don't think so, and none of the others should be classed that way!

It will be a major decline (PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/Xbox One)

Xbox360 was a major incline.

It will be a total collapse (Wii U/GameCube/Xbox/PS Vita)

Xbox was a major success for the newcomer. The rest of them OK.

I think it'll be a slow start like the 3DS. Worse if it isn't backward compatible.

It will take the general public much longer to migrate to the next "Nintendo".

Woopah

I have to take issue:

It will be a moderate decline (PS1/Wii/PS4/GameBoy)

Maybe the PS4 was a decline but I don't think so, and none of the others should be classed that way!

It will be a major decline (PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/Xbox One)

Xbox360 was a major incline.

It will be a total collapse (Wii U/GameCube/Xbox/PS Vita)

Xbox was a major success for the newcomer. The rest of them OK.
It's confusing but they are talking about total numbers, not relative to their predecessors.

So that first one is 100 million+, the second is around 70-80 million, and the final one is less than 25 million.

reinking

Gold Member
I am not buying another Switch of any version until they confirm the Joy Con issue is resolved. I just gave my Switch to my daughter today because the joysticks on her Switch Lite have started messing up again. I'm not sure if they are still doing the whole repair thing but I have not been playing mine so I just told her to take it. The thing is, she has not played hers a lot either and even with less than normal use they seem to go out.

I voted moderate decline because if they stick with these stupid controllers, I know they will miss at least three sales. :)

Last edited:
Moderate decline. Nintendo seems to have a good understanding of their business and has been capitalizing on quality first party titles (without taking big chances on gimmicks). I don’t see that changing, if anything they’ve become more conservative.

At the same time, the Switch was lightning in a bottle and timed perfectly. There’s a lot more competition from the Steam Deck and other handhelds, and the power difference between the next Nintendo console and current gen consoles is likely to remain large.

Its Nintendo, of course it would be selling like hotcakes on day 0.

That being said, I hope they dont screw up backwards compatibility, not that it would stop fans from rebuying the same game they bought like 2-3 times on previous Nintendo consoles obviously but ya know...

Last edited:
Top Bottom