• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Nintendo didn't release Switch 2 in 2024?

Do you think the Switch 2 will release this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LakeOf9

Everyone expects Nintendo to release the Switch 2 this year, but everyone also expected Nintendo to release it last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and-

In any case, I understand that it is fat likelier this year than it was the previous few, but with how well the Switch is selling, and the simple fact that it continues to get major games from Nintendo and third parties even 3+ years in to the PS5 gen, is there really any need for Nintendo to put out the Switch 2 this year? They could ride it out easily for another year, probably get much closer to the PS2 and DS's records that way too.

What do you think GAF?

Robb

Gold Member
but everyone also expected Nintendo to release it last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and-
Did they?

A ‘Pro’ model was expected, but I’m not sure everyone expected a successor.

The main thing that points at a successor this year imo, beyond the rumor-mill heating up, is that both software and hardware for the Switch is declining simultaneously. They’re going to want to offset that.

Ozzie666

It's all about the software ready to go, if they could carry their profits with big titles, they might delay it to early 2025 The Switch is still selling, but that could change pretty quick. They would want to avoid the final 2 years of the WII, where they had very little software and support and lost almost all their momentum. Dangerous game of chicken here. But Nintendo does crazy things and doesn't always follow logic.

I still think late 2024 and why backwards comptability is so important for them. Bring across that huge library, even if Nintendo probably hates that idea.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, it would be quite dangerous for their mind share to wait much longer. Switch sales will probably drop another 20-30 percent this year in top of the drop from last year.

They would be much better served releasing Switch 2 with BC so cross gen games are easy and people could take their libraries.

That said, it’s Nintendo, my Uncle retired, so who the hell knows what they decide.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
They are not releasing it in 2024! They decided to update it more and release alongside the next Xbox in 2025-2026 this way they can compete head to head when the real next gen system starts. Expect 4k/120 docked and 1080p/60 handheld mode on an 8 inch screen.

Full backward compatibility with dlss type uogrades unlocked for older games via patches you buy or play as they were.

In the mean time they will will release a new Donkey Kong game and a new Mario cart / Pokémon game and some old remasters.

They will drop the price of the system to 299.99 for the oled and it will sell like crazy for another year.

I know because my friends uncle works at the coffee shop near the Nintendo building.

/s

While this was satire I’m actually thinking that might a solid strategy!! Just release a little before next gen in 2025 fall. Dlss patches are 9.99 each but Nintendo will charge 19.99

Megatron

Everyone expects Nintendo to release the Switch 2 this year, but everyone also expected Nintendo to release it last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and-
this is not true. Go back and look at polls from the last few years where they asked if Switch 2 was coming in the next 12 months. There were always SOME who said yes but most said no. I personally have never thought until now that it was happening. Console cycles are 7 years now. Even Nintendo.

In any case, I understand that it is fat likelier this year than it was the previous few, but with how well the Switch is selling, and the simple fact that it continues to get major games from Nintendo and third parties even 3+ years in to the PS5 gen, is there really any need for Nintendo to put out the Switch 2 this year? They could ride it out easily for another year, probably get much closer to the PS2 and DS's records that way too.

What do you think GAF?
Do they?

After Mario Wonder, maybe MP4 might be considered mid-big game.

In 2023 they will sell about 15m units and for this year the drop could be between 30-40%.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Switch 2 is coming this year. And earlier than most people think. I think.

The software lineup alone suggests this is the cool down year for Switch. They usually throw their c-tier games at the end of a console life.

Switch's momentum is dying down, and it'll be stupid to wait for it to die to release a new console.

I expect an announcement this month, and release coinciding with the Splatoon 3 DLC.

Mister Wolf

2025 is waiting too long. All of us are ready. The first party launch titles should be Mario Odyssey 2 and Metroid Prime 4. Also updated versions of BOTW, TOTK, and Xenoblade 1-3. Any relevant 30fps first party title.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I fully expect Nintendo to unveil and release their next system this year, in the second half.

Joramun

I'm fine if it realeses in the next 3 years. I just want backwards compatibility with current Switch titles.

WitchHunter

Banned

What do you think GAF?
They will release Duck Hunt.

NikuNashi

It's all about the software ready to go, if they could carry their profits with big titles, they might delay it to early 2025 The Switch is still selling, but that could change pretty quick. They would want to avoid the final 2 years of the WII, where they had very little software and support and lost almost all their momentum. Dangerous game of chicken here. But Nintendo does crazy things and doesn't always follow logic.

I still think late 2024 and why backwards comptability is so important for them. Bring across that huge library, even if Nintendo probably hates that idea.
MS released a console with no software.

SCB3

Did they?

The main thing that points at a successor this year imo, beyond the rumor-mill heating up, is that both software and hardware for the Switch is declining simultaneously. They’re going to want to offset that.
Yea you can see that with whats being released, the last big hitters in Mario Wonder, Zelda TotK and Xenoblade 3 being those really, now we will see some games, Princess Peach Showtime, Paper Mario and there is Metroid Prime 4 (though I see that being a cross gen or launch title now) Pokemon Day is soon as well (February) and they may show something for the next games, but they're likely to be remakes on Switch this year

Plus Nintendo did say that they wouldn't be showing anything til at least after March, and there doesn't seem to be anything planned for release for after that

SCB3

Bring on that new Mario Kart, I’ve been waiting for almost a decade now..!
I would not want to be in charge of that lol I have no idea how you could improve on 8 other than a proper story/SP mode at this point

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
would have to check sales to be sure, but no, i don't expect it in the next 12 months

We'll know more by April, given that's the latest schematics can be sent to manufacturers for a 2024 launch. They could always slash prices of the Switch.

Robb

Gold Member
I would not want to be in charge of that lol I have no idea how you could improve on 8 other than a proper story/SP mode at this point
I’m sure they have lots of previously scrapped concepts etc. to use at this point.

But to me the most obvious route is to do an All-Stars game. They’ve already leaned into having more characters than just Mario in there. Bring on even more crossovers, an entire Zelda/Animal Crossing/Splatoon cup etc. etc.

Last edited:

kubricks

They could ride it out easily for another 10 years if they stop caring about hardware sales, ports of games from other platforms and concentrate on their own IP with limited graphic fidelity and frame-rate, for which I would like to point out, was already pretty bad a couple of years ago.

At a personnel level, I am indifferent to their decision on the Switch 2.
I will just continue to buy some of their exclusives for my switch, and play virtually every single other title that is available elsewhere on my PC or handheld device like Steam deck or whatnot.

I guess they had a chance to have the Switch positioned as the definitive handheld experience despite running everything at lower graphical fidelity at a more expensive price offset by the convenience, that ship had sailed a long time ago.

BlackTron

I voted assuming it would be 99% this year but now I want to know who are the 25% are who said no. So I can get some of what they're smoking for myself

Woopah

4 of the 5 games announced for this year are remakes or remasters. That suggests they are saving their big games for the Switch 2 launch/reveal.

Why would Nintendo hate the idea? They have been fairly good at BC, and doing so for Switch 2 means that they already have a big digital library to see to people.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s been seven years since the Switch launched, ie the longest Nintendo hardware cycle since the Famicom.

All that‘s been announced for the first half of 2024 is two remasters. Who knows, there could be Mario Wonder DLC coming for holidays 2024. But it’s materially impossible for them to have any big shots left for Switch, seeing that 2023 gave us a new Kirby, a new 2D Mario, and a new Zelda that won’t see a sequel for quite a long time. Even on the Pokémon front, all is quiet.

What could Nintendo possibly have to carry them through holidays 2024 while still riding the old Switch?
Announcement in Q3-Q4 2024 and launch in spring 2025 would be moronic. Switch 2 must be coming in 2024. Any period is fine, ‘cuz scalpers will have a field day with this in May as they would in December anyway.

AngelMuffin

What I know for a fact.

It will definitely release this year with MP4 as a cross-gen launch title, just like they did with Twilight Princess & Breath of the Wild.

Don't care if it releases this year or not I just want physical BC for the Switch 2. If it doesn't then I'll wait for a mid-gen refresh since I will be in no rush to pick one up.

Mozza

Did they?

Pretty certain Nintendo bever intended tp produce a Switch Pro model, this was a rumor born from certain people unhappy with the Switch specs, and also based on things very likley to happen. Not a massive stretch that Nintendo were going to make a more portable verion like the lite, and a Switch revision with a better screen and slightly different form factor, is hardly makning people sound like Nostradamus. The extra power was just a fantasy tagged on to the rumor.

Last edited:
It would be great, but at the same time it doesn't really matter as I have tons of games to play already on multiple systems.

angrod14

Their stocks will tank if they don't release it this year. They will pump out whatever PS2 hardware they can, but they'll do it this year.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
In any case, I understand that it is fat likelier

HkvaPNQ.jpg

And it should be "doesn't" not "didn't"

Don't care if it releases this year or not I just want physical BC for the Switch 2. If it doesn't then I'll wait for a mid-gen refresh since I will be in no rush to pick one up.

If the Switch 2 is not backward compatible with the original Switch then I simply won't buy one.

Sony and Microsoft have shown how useful backward compatibility can be during the first few years of a new console's life when current gen games are sparse so there is no excuse for Nintendo to not do the same. Not everyone wants to keep hold of old hardware when they upgrade to a new console but at the same time no-one wants to have to lose their software library and have to start again from scratch either. Also, Nintendo don't push ground-breaking technology or visuals so their older Switch games library is likely to date better on Switch 2 than games for other more powerful systems in my opinion.

This is my primary concern with the Switch 2. I hope Nintendo have considered this very seriously because I believe that having a backward compatible Switch 2 will help ensure its success otherwise and ensure that they follow up a successful console with another successful one, something that Nintendo have often failed to do with previous generations even though Wii was backward compatible with GameCube and Wii U was backward compatible with Wii games.

Last edited:
Nintendo will 100% reveal and release their next platform in 2024 to succeed the Switch. All the stars are aligning/ have aligned. It is happening. Accept it, move on with your life. Just sit back & enjoy what's to come.

Tams

Financial meltdown. World catastophe. The Moon will crash into the Earth. Pigs will fly.

Panic Omg GIF

Last edited:
I still think there is a good chance the Switch successor does not come out this year. To me it just doesn't make any sense. Also, Nintendo would probably like to make Metroid Prime 4 a launch title for the Switch 2, and it might not be ready yet.

Its Nintendo, I can see announcement this year and release Spring 2025
That made sense for the Wii U since it was commercially dead well before Switch was able to be launched, but it doesn't really make sense to do such an early announcement when Switch hardware & software is still selling so well. I'd expect the gap from initial reveal to release to be no more than 4-6 months. I think the most likely scenario is an early reveal sneak peak around the investor meeting at end of March, and release in September/October worldwide.

Launch with the next big 3D Mario/DK game whatever it is, and maybe cross-gen Metroid Prime 4. And maybe a new IP or two in the launch window, like they did with Switch. Monolith Soft also tends to either have a new game or a remake/port project ready every 2 to 2 1/2 years, so holiday 2024 would line up with that timetable, as well. Such as a XCX Definitive Edition remaster for Switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom