• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Nintendo didn't release Switch 2 in 2024?

Do you think the Switch 2 will release this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bender

What time is it?
I still think there is a good chance the Switch successor does not come out this year. To me it just doesn't make any sense. Also, Nintendo would probably like to make Metroid Prime 4 a launch title for the Switch 2, and it might not be ready yet.

If it weren't coming, I think we'd have a more solid lineup for Switch than a bunch of remakes and Princess Peach Showtime.

Emedan

They will release it, sales are losing momentum.
Yeah, at this point they have an obligation to the shareholders so it's coming. Don't fret people!

Also in regards to lack of software for launch, I'm quite positive it has BC so there's that. Last big Switch release will come this summer so no later than fall for the Switch 2.

Last edited:
If it weren't coming, I think we'd have a more solid lineup for Switch than a bunch of remakes and Princess Peach Showtime.
That's a good counter point. I'm one of the few that still thinks it's highly unusual to release a console the year they announce it. Surprise! here is the switch 2 and it comes out tomorrow! I would expect Nintendo to allow more time for public awareness and building enthusiasm for it from consumers that aren't already die hard gamers.

The main thing that points at a successor this year imo, beyond the rumor-mill heating up, is that both software and hardware for the Switch is declining simultaneously. They’re going to want to offset that.
Exactly, not to mention their last few directs have been filled with games that looked like the type of content the PS Vita was churning out in it's last years. I consider that the portable death rattle, and the well is quickly drying up.

They must want to release this year. But there may be development problems. Like not having core software ready, supply chain and assembly.
This would be the only good reason for another year of no new hardware.

Last edited:
they could delay it to q1 25 but what would be the point as 3nm soc still won’t be available to them, let’s just hope they are using 4nm, as 6nm would be a massive disappointment.

conpfreak

Switch sales are going to fall off a cliff this year unless there is a new SKU or a massive price drop. Even then, it would be unlikely achieve significantly growth. Also, a good sign a new console for Nintendo is coming is that the release calendar is basically empty, and what is there are remakes or remasters.

Switch 2 is coming before the end of the year.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They need to reboot their game cycle.

New Mario , Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, etc have all hit Switch. Now it’s time for new entries on new hardware to continue to feed the beast.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Nintendo can still cut prices before releasing the new console. I wouldn’t be surprised if they announced the console this year but with a release date in 2025.

Last edited:
They need to reboot their game cycle.

New Mario , Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, etc have all hit Switch. Now it’s time for new entries on new hardware to continue to feed the beast.
Unless Zelda team has spit into two. It’ll be a long time before the next main one. A remake like Link’s Awakening from a partner studio is likely, tho.

Kirby also just had two releases back to back March 2022 and Feb 2023 so that’s gonna be a wait as well.

And still waiting on Metroid Prime 4 so that’s prolly nearly done and likely cross-gen.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Unless Zelda team has spit into two. It’ll be a long time before the next main one. A remake like Link’s Awakening from a partner studio is likely, tho.

Kirby also just had two releases back to back March 2022 and Feb 2023 so that’s gonna be a wait as well.

And still waiting on Metroid Prime 4 so that’s prolly nearly done and likely cross-gen.
Kirby games are practically annual at this point, if you include the smaller ones.
HAL must have multiple teams.

BlackTron

What if lakeof9 didn’t make a what if thread?
3HIwFMU.jpg

yurinka

Everyone expects Nintendo to release the Switch 2 this year, but everyone also expected Nintendo to release it last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and-

In any case, I understand that it is fat likelier this year than it was the previous few, but with how well the Switch is selling, and the simple fact that it continues to get major games from Nintendo and third parties even 3+ years in to the PS5 gen, is there really any need for Nintendo to put out the Switch 2 this year? They could ride it out easily for another year, probably get much closer to the PS2 and DS's records that way too.

What do you think GAF?
I think they could easily wait for another year. But considering Switch sales will continue decreasing and that the new one will have a good launch but after that will sell low until gets enough momentum, it's better for them to release it in 2024.

Releasing in 2024 would help them keep the sales momentum high combining both.

Deerock71

Despite all the prattling, count me in the minority. They haven't even done a price cut for the original Switch yet. I'm thinking February/March 2025.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If the switch 2 isn’t this year then I hope we at least get remakes/remasters for Metroid prime 2 and 3, or Metroid prime 4.

Shifty1897

I see both sides, sales are still strong and they really don't have a competitor in the portable space, but also playing games at 480p with slowdown and frame drops is killing me inside.

Kirby games are practically annual at this point, if you include the smaller ones.
HAL must have multiple teams.
2023 was a upgraded port/remaster of the Wii game. Forgotten Land was a huge game and took 2018-2022 to come out, so I'm thinking the next "big" new Kirby would be 2026-ish, going by the recent trend. Definitely true that on off-years they do bring out very small-scale Kirby games to drive interest.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Well, we got namco bandai announcing games for it as soon as yesterday, so the chances ain't zero. But maybe we can see switch 2 having GTA 6 as launch title, right?

• LOL
Reactions: AV

Rambone

Life goes on and people will buy Switch 2 whether it will be 2024, 2025 or 2026. It doesn't matter, this platform is a juggernaut and you WILL consume.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
2025 is waiting too long. All of us are ready. The first party launch titles should be Mario Odyssey 2 and Metroid Prime 4. Also updated versions of The Wind Waker, OoT and Xenoblade 1-3. Any relevant 30fps first party title.
It'd be too long and the last extension (which is one reason they didn't need to launch anything in 2023) was the OLED model. That and games like ToTK and Super Mario Wonder releasing pushed them ahead a couple quarters into 2024 with time to drop early marketing in Q3.

Fixed some of those updates for you too.

Top Bottom