• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is everyone hyped for Armored Core all of a sudden?

Dorago

Like, before Dark Souls nobody gave a single solitary fuck about this series and now suddenly everyone's creaming their pants at the new trailer.

Has anyone even considered that this isn't going to be Elden Ring with mechs? This series always seemed like it was for a bit of a niche audience, and some of the games in it were downright awful. I never got into it myself because of the awkward controls and sleep inducing gameplay.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong or I'm just misinformed about it, but seems to me like everyone's getting hyped for all the wrong reasons, and we haven't even seen the actual gameplay yet. If it's gonna be anything like the previous installments in this series, then I can't wait to witness the collective reality check that everyone's going to experience come the release date.

It seems like From can actually pull off good games now. There hasn't been a good robot game since the PS2.

My older brother loved em. I liked like one or two of them but thought they were pretty mid and bland and I've loved mech type stuff all the way.

F31 Leopard

Like, before Dark Souls nobody gave a single solitary fuck about this series and now suddenly everyone's creaming their pants at the new trailer.

Has anyone even considered that this isn't going to be Elden Ring with mechs? This series always seemed like it was for a bit of a niche audience, and some of the games in it were downright awful. I never got into it myself because of the awkward controls and sleep inducing gameplay.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong or I'm just misinformed about it, but seems to me like everyone's getting hyped for all the wrong reasons, and we haven't even seen the actual gameplay yet. If it's gonna be anything like the previous installments in this series, then I can't wait to witness the collective reality check that everyone's going to experience come the release date.
Pretty much the bandwagon effect. The new AC may sell good because of this and will be a lot of people's 1st AC. It helped Monster Hunter and Nier with World and Automata.

Kuranghi

I dislike Soulslike games but I'm excited for this because I love big robots and particularly the tone of the Armored Core universe, excited to see what they can do with it.

Banned

absolutely.

Dark Souls 3 was the first souls game that had tons of hype behind it. and I personally know 3 people who never touched a souls game that bought Dark Souls 3.

Dark Souls 1 and 2 both sold less than 5 million each.
Bloodborne like 3 million or less.
BUT, Dark Souls 3 sold more than 10 million.
and with Elden Ring it went another step up to more than 20 million.

the interest in From Software's games goes up stadily, and Dark Souls had a similar growth

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Because mechas are too cool!!
gundam-gundam-thunderbolt.gif

I played them back in the day and never cared for them. I’m a Kings Field and SoulsBorne FROM fan. Nothing else really appeals to me from their studio.

I’ll be passing on this game.

badblue

Gold Member

iu

I Love You Flirt GIF

Buggy Loop

Like, before Dark souls, nobody gave a single solitary fuck about King's Field and now suddenly everyone's creaming their pants at any new souls?

Like comparing the Souls to King's Field... Sekiro to Tenchu..

2009 - Demon's Souls
2011 - Dark Souls
2014 - Dark Souls II
2015 - Bloodborne
2016 - Dark Souls III
2019 - Sekiro
2022 - Elden Ring

There's a world of difference with From Software games pre-2009 and since Miyakazi found this niche.

We saw the trailer today and it's already felt that their experience with the past years is influecing AC VI.
The encounters are a lot more closer and personal with fight mechanics that have parries/dodges/melee/shield. Which is not necessarily that they were not in previous Armored core games, but they had a weird sense of scale where enemies were just basically target reticles or MONSTER sized mechs and they were bullet sponges with janky animations and controls. The environment just felt like this is an arena... right let's sprinkle buildings here and there. No cohesion in the world scale.

From this target mess jank (which had a crowd, me partially)

tumblr-pxkwq8l82-J1uqxepco1-500.gif

To this :

0PufjLJ.gif

Could replace assets and you would have a Sekiro fight

World scale/design from this

information-explanations-and-q-a-for-armored-core-verdict-v0-im8kzbjb9q8a1.gif

To this

iG6r5UY.gif

From this

armored-core-5-04.png

To this

image.png

James Franco GIF

Very not the same

From's artists are fucking out of control, they're nailing it EVERY games for years now. This is entirely on another level compared to old franchise.

It's motherfucking Mechiro!

Last edited:
Someone said "Sleep core" I agree lol, don't hate me. Game can have 100 metacritic, I dont give a shit, sorry, not my thing (robot combat shit) :messenger_sad_relieved:

I remember some people trying to praise "The Surge" in my face. THAT series sucks. :messenger_expressionless:

simpatico

It's gonna feel more like Sekiro than the old Amored Core games. I'm sure there will be some nods, but From isn't stupid. The footage we got today confirms this.

Aenima

Never touched an Armored Core game, and will probably skip this one too. But From soft grew alot, so if anyone already liked or had an interest in the previous armored cores, thers a reason to be excited for this one.

Last edited:

Romulus

For me it's because there's a massive drought in gaming. I know some feel like this year is a resurgence of sorts but for me it isn't close to that. I wasn't even a hardcore AC fan but with how terrible modern releases are, it's exciting.

never really was an armored core fan, but maybe from will do something cool with it.

hopefully its not a bunch of mechs twitching diagonally in the sky.
needs some weight.

Romulus

if you are not finding ANY thing you like this year then I would say the issue is more with you more than actual drought.

I can not like anything this and there not be an issue with my opinion. There's no wrong answer. I can think it's mediocre, terrible, or great.

ClosBSAS

its a new fromsoftware game..thats all we care about op. who gives a shit about armored core as a whole. its a new from game. simple as that.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Why are you surprised ? Trailers look good and it’s made by one of the top 3 devs in the industry.

The game is going to be amazing.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
its a new fromsoftware game..thats all we care about op. who gives a shit about armored core as a whole. its a new from game. simple as that.
So if it was a runner like those mobile phones games you'd be hyped for it just because it's by fromsoftware?

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
I dearly loved (nearly) all the PS2 games but then stopped caring when it went to shit in the PS360 era.
Hyped as hell for this new one and I haven't watched any media for it.

Lets get to the Core of your consensus that everyone is hyped for Armored Core. I for one am not.

Jk i have sexual relations with my Transformers toys every night in preparation.

Romulus

This has more to do with your taste, there is no actual drought in gaming this year.

And based on your post, no “modern” games is ever going to make you happy.

Taste lol. That's literally an opinion itself. Again, you're not the taste police. It's a drought if the games suck. So far, they do to me.

Romulus

There's no issue with your opinion there is an issue with you not liking games anymore but not willing to accept it. 🤣

You just liked a reply to my comment that had a different thought process than yours. He impiled my taste was the issue and your saying I don't like games anymore. Lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom