• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is everyone hyped for Armored Core all of a sudden?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Like, before Dark Souls nobody gave a single solitary fuck about this series and now suddenly everyone's creaming their pants at the new trailer.

Has anyone even considered that this isn't going to be Elden Ring with mechs? This series always seemed like it was for a bit of a niche audience, and some of the games in it were downright awful. I never got into it myself because of the awkward controls and sleep inducing gameplay.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong or I'm just misinformed about it, but seems to me like everyone's getting hyped for all the wrong reasons, and we haven't even seen the actual gameplay yet. If it's gonna be anything like the previous installments in this series, then I can't wait to witness the collective reality check that everyone's going to experience come the release date.

Rambone

Like, before Dark Souls nobody gave a single solitary fuck about this series and now suddenly everyone's creaming their pants at the new trailer.

Has anyone even considered that this isn't going to be Elden Ring with mechs? This series always seemed like it was for a bit of a niche audience, and some of the games in it were downright awful. I never got into it myself because of the awkward controls and sleep inducing gameplay.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong or I'm just misinformed about it, but seems to me like everyone's getting hyped for all the wrong reasons, and we haven't even seen the actual gameplay yet. If it's gonna be anything like the previous installments in this series, then I can't wait to witness the collective reality check that everyone's going to experience come the release date.

Don't kill my mech boner with your facts. Times have changed, perhaps this will be a decent game.

GymWolf

Because fromsoft are better devs compared to the past so we can expect a certain level of quality from them (pun intended)

I'm not really super hyped personally, i need to see something concrete before praising the sun.

Last edited:
It's FromSoft and they're proven to put out nothing but quality games since the launch of Demon's Souls on PS3.

And I'd argue that the hype isn't all that huge when compared to their other franchises. Cautious optimism, mostly.

Drizzlehell

Banned
People want to support one of the best devs in the world who’ve only recently (relative to their history) found ‘mainstream’ appeal.
Well, they just got lucky and struck gold with the souls formula (which didn't even catch on at first). Doesn't mean that everything they touch turns into gold.

You're letting gaming forums filled with Souls fans (and social media) cloud your perception. Almost know one outside of certain groups are talking about Armored Core.

Sure there more interest in it since From has prestige now as a gaming developer to more people, but I expect that's only going to result in higher than usual upfront sales, which will quickly taper off and Armored Core will still be niche.

Also, Armored Core has rarely fixed the problems people wanted From to fix, as they used to only real care about catering to the hardcore base of buyers when they were releasing Armored Core games regularly, after a long break I'm not sure that's going to change with this one. The biggest difference I'm seeing is the graphics which should be obvious given the technology imporvements, but outside that I don't see anything that's going to appeal to Souls fans or other gamers who weren't interested in the series before.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

The reason why you are asking yourself this question is probably the same reason you did not put the 6 in your title. Ignorance of this type of games? Between From pedigree and the fact that this is a AAA mech game that is what Anthem should have been I think that people that will play this game can go without fear. But yes some people will go from Elden ring to this game and not understand the difference. It was the same with Bloodborne and Sekiro. I hope that the mechs will be enough to scare away most of those people. Maybe a demo or a beta will help too.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well, they just got lucky and struck gold with the souls formula (which didn't even catch on at first). Doesn't mean that everything they touch turns into gold.
That your opinion, I’m just explaining from my point of view why people who previously haven’t played the series (like myself) might be excited for the new game.

Chupanibre

The games always fell just short of being entertaining enough to hold my interest for more than a few hours. I got more enjoyable hours out of the first ps1 game than any of the subsequent releases.

I'm hopeful that they'll finally be able to follow through with a good one that doesn't feel like an unfinished indie tech demo. I think this could be the one.

gothmog

Gold Member
Nostalgia and confidence in From. I'm not like over the moon but I'm happy they're doing another. I hope it's great.

diffusionx

Gold Member
From is like 10,000x more popular than they were the last time a game in this series came out, the end.

That said, if they don't disappoint the people expecting "Armored Souls" they haven't done their jobs. This game should stand distinct from all the stuff they've done since Dark Souls.

When Dark Souls came out and broadened the gameplay and went on multiple platforms it took off immediately. Sure, it wasn't as big as it is currently, but it was still sold a few million out the gate and had a hardcore slightly niche fanbase that took the megaphone about the series which helped 2 and 3 immensely.

You could argue that it didn't take off with Demon Souls, but the objectives and the design are not the same. It was also a PS3 exclusive when the PS3 itself was having issues finding its footing, so it's hard to really claim that to be the start as Dark Souls was sort of a multiplatform retooling of Demon Souls as if they started fresh again and pretty much got it out of the gate.

When you look at Demon Souls Remake and Blood Borne, also two exclusive games, even with half the sales neither can come close to the popularity of the Souls games.

Nope... I gave many fucks.

I was a big fan of mech shit growing up and absolutely enjoyed the shit out of the AC games. I was super hyped about Zone of the Enders as well. Don't get me wrong here, AC games have their quirks and their short comings but it was still awesome. The Souls games have their own quirks and shortcomings, but they some how come to get and work.

To be fair... it's game about piloting giant ass robots to fight other giant ass robots, that's kinda appealing.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GIF by iHeartRadio

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I love it when I get super lucky and accidentally create the best games on the market. Behave.

That said, don't disagree, think there will definitely be a lot of people who try this and go "meh Elden Ring was better" as if they've got anything in common besides the developer

I'd imagine 2 reasons:

- From has an exceptional track record over the last decade
- Mech games have not been tapped into with the potential quality that a team like From can bring

I would definitely categorize my reasoning for being interested. Yes, I do love dark souls games and they are my favorite to play. But I don't expect this to be just like those. Instead of expectation, I have hopes that this brings something new(ish) and a fresh take on a genre that rarely gets attention.

Plus, that trailer looked badass to me. Giant mechanized boss battles. Who could ask for more?

Where are you getting this information? Seriously?

Of course people realize that. Why are you even assuming people don't realize that?

Yes, it was for a certain audience but that audience existed.

Seems like you're making assumptions for no reasons. The gameplay is going to be similar to the previous games, with additions. They just release the gameplay trailer.

Reality check? You do realize that people enjoyed those games right? What an asinine statement.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
From software changed the game and now people are willing to support whatever From puts out. They have build goodwill among players. Much like Blizzard use to have. People would lap up anything Blizzard put out because it was guaranteed quality. When you build a reputation for great games you can try things and people will want to buy in.

kunonabi

AC was always awesome and it's nice to see a new entry since all the Demon's/Dark/Elden,etc. has been sucha focus of From Software's output.

Such an interesting thread to make after you tried to shit on people for not wanting more toxic waste from bloober team.

begotten

There has also been a disappointing lack of big budget mech games in the last decade.

I said this in a thread ages ago, they don't get made because no one gives a shit about them outside of people who build Gundam.

The best part of AC in particular was always building the mechs and playing locally with a friend for some laughs. The game suck otherwise.

The only reason this game even exists is probably because of their recent success and they thought why not lets see if we can get more than 30K people to buy a AC game because of our new reputation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom