• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is everyone hyped for Armored Core all of a sudden?

tmlDan

Being interested in a game just because of the developer is pretty much the main reason why anyone ought to be interested in a game. A developer can make all the difference in the outcome of a product.

You can get sequels in beloved series, like Halo, which are total shit compared to their forebears, because the developer changes hands completely. And then you can get games which people would normally be very cautious about supporting, like licensed capeshit Spider-Man, which ended up being absolute gold because it was in Insomniac's capable hands.

The context of the developer also matters a lot. Due to veteran staff moving on and general staff turnover, many developers become like the Ship of Theseus whereby they are just the same name on the box but functionally they are a different team. Other developers like FROM have gone in the opposite direction and have become a powerhouse in recent years.

Even if previous Armored Core games were not particularly great (I was never a fan), this release is still exciting purely because of the renewed talent at the helm.
That's not true at all, when a dev who made its name making essentially the same game for over a decade and has never succeeded in making a good armored core game over that time, why would you be excited?

It's like if 343 made amazing Halo games and they also made crackdown in between and they always sucked but now we're randomly excited?

Deerock71

Chris Farley Idk GIF

Phase

Did you not play these games back in the day? I did and loved them. Now we're getting a modern version of it and I'm all for it. Has nothing to do with other games.

Like, before Dark Souls nobody gave a single solitary fuck about this series and now suddenly everyone's creaming their pants at the new trailer.

Has anyone even considered that this isn't going to be Elden Ring with mechs? This series always seemed like it was for a bit of a niche audience, and some of the games in it were downright awful. I never got into it myself because of the awkward controls and sleep inducing gameplay.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong or I'm just misinformed about it, but seems to me like everyone's getting hyped for all the wrong reasons, and we haven't even seen the actual gameplay yet. If it's gonna be anything like the previous installments in this series, then I can't wait to witness the collective reality check that everyone's going to experience come the release date.
Because FROM is now one of the best developers in the world and the trailer was good - plus armored core used to be pretty popular back in the day

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I just hope they don't dumb it down too much for the folks who can't put together a solid mech build. That was most of what I enjoyed about the game, the mech customization options. They turned it up to 11 in Chromehounds and I would absolutely lose my shit if they somehow found a way to do this in AC Rubicon.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I can only speak for myself, but I've been interested in trying the series since before Souls blew up, but they're not exactly readily available games. I've just never had an opportunity to play them really despite loving me some mecha with ZOE, Chrome Hounds, Bragador, MechAssault, etc.

Seems like a good time to get into the series and now From and Miyazaki have a pedigree that all but ensures a high quality product that at least for some will likely be a GOTY contender.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You kidding? I'm practically doing a community service by reminding everyone that this is not going to play like a Souls game, lol.

I mean after the new gameplay trailer I think that's obvious, it looks exactly like an Armored Core game, which lets be honest is what I expected and exactly what I want. Time to get uttely fucked by flash rockets all over again.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I mean after the new gameplay trailer I think that's obvious, it looks exactly like an Armored Core game, which lets be honest is what I expected and exactly what I want. Time to get uttely fucked by flash rockets all over again.
People expecting this play like Souls game? I love Souls series but Armored Core should play like Armored Core, I assumed thats whats most of us excited about it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
That's not true at all, when a dev who made its name making essentially the same game for over a decade and has never succeeded in making a good armored core game over that time, why would you be excited?

It's like if 343 made amazing Halo games and they also made crackdown in between and they always sucked but now we're randomly excited?
It's a fair point, though. The team responsible for those old AC game was likely very different from current day FromSoft, both in talent and in experience. But I doubt that too many people think about it that deeply. Most probably saw that it's another FromSoft game and it was enough to get them excited because "it's that company that made a thing I liked".

But then everyone also forgets that even a seemingly great developer can totally faceplant because game dev do be like that. And then it will only take one bad game for everyone to turn on them. FromSoft found their formula with Souls games and they stayed in that lane for 10 straight years because it worked for them. I'm curious how they're gonna perform now, when they're gonna have to get out of that comfort zone and deliver a game that's gonna be a complete 180 in terms of tone and gameplay.

Last edited:
I really liked the old Armored Core games on PSX. I haven't really looked into the new one at all, but it could be really sweet if done correctly.

I like ac. Loved it as a kid, loved it even more when I played ac1 last December. Got hyped when trailer released.

I also love Froms older titles. I am extremely fond of kings field. As I have said in other threads, From as a very specific special sauce that is just inherent in their games. They have just learned to make a very delicious burger and fries to go with that special sauce in the last 10 or so years.

It also helps that I stopped playing console games during the ps3 era, so I more or less skipped "those" ac games.

GHound

What does it matter if people get excited for a game?

If we're talking about being hyped about games in development, nobody has played them before. Maybe if you are part of the QA team.
I can tell you right now every game I've ever done QA for I fucking hated by the time it came out lol.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Seems natural to me. From has made a big name of themselves and probably has loads of new fans that want more of their stuff.

Last edited:

kondorBonk

Late to the success of the Souls games but after trying them really digging what the company has done. Considering how much those have improved and them returning to the idea is fun.

I have zero knowledge of the franchise and they've stated it will be an entry point which is already good. Who doesn't like mechs?

That said, I don't think I've ever really been blown away from a mech game despite loving mechs in general. None really convey the sense of scale and end up feeling like a guy in armor instead of a building size wrecking machine.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Bro you're killing me with these fucking hot takes
Good.

I like ac. Loved it as a kid, loved it even more when I played ac1 last December. Got hyped when trailer released.

I also love Froms older titles. I am extremely fond of kings field. As I have said in other threads, From as a very specific special sauce that is just inherent in their games. They have just learned to make a very delicious burger and fries to go with that special sauce in the last 10 or so years.

It also helps that I stopped playing console games during the ps3 era, so I more or less skipped "those" ac games.
Would you recommend ACV? I can see it's on PS3 store and was thinking about grabbing it for a while but the only other AC game that I played was AC3 on PS2 and let's just say that I wasn't really into it, lol.

Skifi28

I meant the series in general. You've gotta be a mega Boomer to have played Armored Core.
The point still stands though. You don't need to have played the previous games to be hyped about something that looks cool to you. Moreover, just because you played the prequel doesn't necessarily mean the sequel is going to deliver so why be hyped for that? In both cases it's a game you haven't played so it can turn out either way.

To me it looks more like a form of a elitism. "No, you didnt play the previous games like I did, you don't have the right to be hyped like I am" which is kinda bullshit.

Last edited:
I'm not really into souls games but loved armor core back in the day. I want to see what they can make with updated controls and gameplay.
Regarding fomo or people expecting mech souls will probably be disappointed. However these games are usually a bit challenging so hopefully the same demographic that like souls games will jump in too.

Good.

Would you recommend ACV? I can see it's on PS3 store and was thinking about grabbing it for a while but the only other AC game that I played was AC3 on PS2 and let's just say that I wasn't really into it, lol.
Never played it. I only played the original, 2 and AA. My general impression is that they got worse over time, though. I really only played MGS4 and Demons Souls on the ps3. PS2 was the last console I actually used regularly.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not really into souls games but loved armor core back in the day. I want to see what they can make with updated controls and gameplay.
Regarding fomo or people expecting mech souls will probably be disappointed. However these games are usually a bit challenging so hopefully the same demographic that like souls games will jump in too.
Those people have no one but themselves to blame.

cireza

I am not.

But I am definitely happy for people liking the series and these types of games, because they don't get a lot of them.

Luigi Mario

If you want to try a PS3 era Armored Core game, go for Verdict Day or For Answer. AC5 was way too online focused and the multiplayer is pretty much dead.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Being interested in a game just because of the developer is pretty much the main reason why anyone ought to be interested in a game. A developer can make all the difference in the outcome of a product.

You can get sequels in beloved series, like Halo, which are total shit compared to their forebears, because the developer changes hands completely. And then you can get games which people would normally be very cautious about supporting, like licensed capeshit Spider-Man, which ended up being absolute gold because it was in Insomniac's capable hands.

The context of the developer also matters a lot. Due to veteran staff moving on and general staff turnover, many developers become like the Ship of Theseus whereby they are just the same name on the box but functionally they are a different team. Other developers like FROM have gone in the opposite direction and have become a powerhouse in recent years.

Even if previous Armored Core games were not particularly great (I was never a fan), this release is still exciting purely because of the renewed talent at the helm.
When its all said and done. It's an entirely different genre. It doesn't matter who makes it if you're not a fan of mech games.

skit_data

It’s obvious From Softwares success with Dark Souls and especially Elden Ring has ignited a greater interest in Armored Core.
I’m one of those that never played the previous installments but I’m interested simply because it is one of my favorite developers making it.
It might not be up my alley gameplay wise at all but as far as the trailers go it does indeed have a tone and aesthetic that I like a lot.

Edit: I don’t really expect it to bear any kind of resemblence to their more recent games either.

Last edited:

Fbh

Because it looks good?
Because FROM is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more popular, well known and respected than they were back then so anything they do will obviously get more notoriety now?
Because tastes changes and maybe a franchise that didn't interest you 10-15 years ago might be appealing to you now?
Because people who became FROM fans thanks to the souls games might want to check out other franchises by the studio but playing the older Armored Core titles is annoying as they aren't playable on modern consoles and never got PC ports either?

I mean yeah I think there's a portion of people who will buy it expecting "Dark Souls with robots" and will be disappointed. But I can see plenty of reasons why people who weren't into the franchise back then might be interested now.

It is fraudulent as fuck.

OMG I'M SO HYPED FOR A GAME I'VE NEVER PLAYED BEFORE!

Isn't that every game except remasters?

Sacred

This series has always been fantastic, the couch competitive stuff was some of the most fun times I had gaming with my friends outside Halo.

Top Bottom