• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is everyone hyped for Armored Core all of a sudden?

Like, before Dark Souls nobody gave a single solitary fuck about this series and now suddenly everyone's creaming their pants at the new trailer.
They want you once you made it baby, they won't even look at you in the pits. I've always been familiar with Armored Core though it's console exclusive and I've therefore never played it.

Loved the box artwork for Armored Core 4 though:

Armored_Core_4.jpg

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Of course people realize that. Why are you even assuming people don't realize that?
Yeah, well, just read this thread. It's a small sample but you can already see that the only reason why many people are interested in this is due to the developer. All I'm saying is be careful what you're getting hyped for.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though. Hell yeah I'd play a fun mecha shooter, why wouldn't I?

Last edited:
The new trailer showed some gameplay and it seemed pretty cool!

But I still want to see a REAL gameplay with interface and everything else...

I want to know if this is a real game or just one more "press Square to watch the game play itself" Japanese game... For some reason that kind of trash is the very popular in Japanese games. now days.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Don't kill my mech boner with your facts. Times have changed, perhaps this will be a decent game.
The way Miyazaki talks about it, it seems like From will be using all of the knowledge and skills they've grown over the last decade or so to make the best possible Armored Core game, bridging the gap between past entries and modern technology and game design. Since he's a big fan of the series and it's a passion project, he'll have a lot to prove, which should translate to an excellent game. I think he also understands what's at stake for From if it doesn't perform well.

Last edited:

Banned
Like, before Dark Souls nobody gave a single solitary fuck about this series and now suddenly everyone's creaming their pants at the new trailer.

you could literally say the exact thing about Dark Souls 3 or Elden Ring.

the core gameplay of these games isn't much different from Demon's Souls, yet somehow the Souls games were very niche up untill Dark Souls 3 and to a lesser degree Bloodborne.

hell, who remembers that one infamous import review of Demon's Souls, where the reviwer called it "the worst game" he played on PS3... I can't remember which publication it was, it was one of the bigger ones back then I think...

people now trust From Software to make good games, because at least their A team had a streak of extremely well designed games since Demon's Souls.

Last edited:
Gee, why would a bunch of gamers be interested in a game developed by Fromsoft, the studio behind Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, and Elden Ring? When you have that kind of pedigree, people tend to be interested in what you're working on.

Griffon

I loved Armored Core on PS1.
But then I didn't find any of the sequels as cool and moody as the original. They look mid at best and I just didn't care anymore.

AC6 looks a fuckton better than any of the shoestring-budget AC sequels. I'm all in again.

Last edited:
What are you even saying? That you hope that the game turns out ass and you'll get enjoyment out of people's misery?
Drizzle doesn't like fairweather fans. Those people who are excited about this have the right to be excited, but don't act as though you've been supporting this franchise and putting in work to keep it alive. I can't remember any people playing Armored Core or MechWarrior, it's a niche taste.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Gee, why would a bunch of gamers be interested in a game developed by Fromsoft, the studio behind Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, and Elden Ring? When you have that kind of pedigree, people tend to be interested in what you're working on.
I'm not suggesting that it's going to be bad, though. Just that it seems like people may be expecting Mech Souls when it's gonna be anything but that (I guess).

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Has anyone even considered that this isn't going to be Elden Ring with mechs? This series always seemed like it was for a bit of a niche audience, and some of the games in it were downright awful. I never got into it myself because of the awkward controls and sleep inducing gameplay.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong or I'm just misinformed about it, but seems to me like everyone's getting hyped for all the wrong reasons, and we haven't even seen the actual gameplay yet. If it's gonna be anything like the previous installments in this series, then I can't wait to witness the collective reality check that everyone's going to experience come the release date.
Arguably few people (in the grand scheme) cared about annoyingly-hard games (see Ninja Gaiden) before Dark Souls came around. Maybe a fresh attempt at Armored Core (it's not like everyone is the same at From compared to before) will breathe new life into the mech genre. Besides, it's not like it has to do super well. It just has to do well enough to warrant its creation and potentially future games.

Hell, I still don't really understand why the Souls games blew up in popularity. Maybe people wanted a game like that but didn't like NG's aesthetic or feel. Souls is a lot clunkier than NG's fast-paced action. Maybe they somehow got it "just right" in a Goldilocks sort of way.

Admittedly I'm not even that interested but it certainly looks cool and, as others have pointed out, From Software has obviously earned the right to be given a chance now.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I mean, albeit a bit niche, Armored Core has been a popular IP for decades. Of course, From Software's praise since the existence of their Soul games has made a ton of other people curious about it. While hyping already existing fans. That's really it.

Tsaki

Drizzle doesn't like fairweather fans. Those people who are excited about this have the right to be excited, but don't act as though you've been supporting this franchise and putting in work to keep it alive. I can't remember any people playing Armored Core or MechWarrior, it's a niche taste.
Do they act like that though?

Drizzlehell

Banned
What are you even saying? That you hope that the game turns out ass and you'll get enjoyment out of people's misery?
Just at the annoying ones, who are giving me shit right now just because I dared to question anything FromSoft related.

Also, no, I hope that this game will be baller-ass and that I will love it.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Because
1) no one remembers the old armored core games
OR
2) they just saw a youtube video titled "OH HOLY FUCK DARK SOULS HAS MECHS NOW AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPNED BEFORE ELDEN RING"

PSYGN

People are tired of Soulslike games and happy that From finally moved onto something new, I mean old, I mean new.

🙃

Haven't played an Armored Core in years, so not really interested just mildly intrigued. At least if they branch out from soulsborne they may finally give us a Kuon 2 :messenger_sunglasses:

Skifi28

What's wrong with being excited about a developer you like making a new game? Armored core was always in the "good but flawed" category and FromSoft have much more experience under their belt than they ever did. OP seems a bit too miserable and antagonistic for no real reason lately. Every time I see one of your recent threads and the way you reply to people, I want to ask if you're doing ok.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Because of From Soft. They've proven themselves as the most consistent and quality developers of the last decade (even longer).

Drizzlehell

Banned
What's wrong with being excited about a developer you like making a new game? Armored core was always in the "good but flawed" category and FromSoft have much more experience under their belt than they ever did. OP seems a bit too miserable and antagonistic for no real reason lately. Every time I see one of your recent threads and the way you reply to people, I want to ask if you're doing ok.
Then maybe you should try reading them to figure out what I'm actually talking about.

Saber

Gold Member
I may be a huge fan of souls games but I also a huge fan of FromSoftware. Thats why I'm hyped, I have confidence FromSoftware will put something exceptional in the game marketing.

Why do you feel like that just because of the hype for this game? It's ok if you dislike though, not sure its thready worthy. Specially if you think people are looking foward just because they think it will play like a Souls game.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Hey man come on, some of us Mechafans exist. I love Armored Core, Front Mission, Mechwarrior, Crome Hounds, Super Robot Wars and of course Gundam...

We exist, but the big reason is because a new trailer came out and people who arnt old enough to have played Armored Core but have played Dark Souls are now super hyped over a game series they have never played before due to the developers name alone.

It's like asking "yo why everyone so hyped about this New Zone of the Enders game when they only played Metal Gear solid?"

FromSoftware's name has real brand name power now, and really that's a good enough reason as any.

Last edited:

tmlDan

im not, it looks like its running pretty poorly already in that footage and mech games in general are typically jank.

It's also not interesting, mech dystopian stories is much harder to make interesting than weird soulsy fantasy worlds

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

Has anyone even considered that this isn't going to be Elden Ring with mechs? This series always seemed like it was for a bit of a niche audience, and some of the games in it were downright awful. I never got into it myself because of the awkward controls and sleep inducing gameplay.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong or I'm just misinformed about it, but seems to me like everyone's getting hyped for all the wrong reasons, and we haven't even seen the actual gameplay yet. If it's gonna be anything like the previous installments in this series, then I can't wait to witness the collective reality check that everyone's going to experience come the release date.
You hit the nail on the head people are stupid they think because they liked elden ring they will like this even though it's a completely different genre. I can't wait for the disappointment and meltdowns.

In no way, shape, or form am I knocking this game or those like it for what it is.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I may be a huge fan of souls games but I also a huge fan of FromSoftware. Thats why I'm hyped, I have confidence FromSoftware will put something exceptional in the game marketing.

Why do you feel like that just because of the hype for this game? It's ok if you dislike though, not sure its thready worthy. Specially if you think people are looking foward just because they think it will play like a Souls game.
You kidding? I'm practically doing a community service by reminding everyone that this is not going to play like a Souls game, lol.

Killer8

Being interested in a game just because of the developer is pretty much the main reason why anyone ought to be interested in a game. A developer can make all the difference in the outcome of a product.

You can get sequels in beloved series, like Halo, which are total shit compared to their forebears, because the developer changes hands completely. And then you can get games which people would normally be very cautious about supporting, like licensed capeshit Spider-Man, which ended up being absolute gold because it was in Insomniac's capable hands.

The context of the developer also matters a lot. Due to veteran staff moving on and general staff turnover, many developers become like the Ship of Theseus whereby they are just the same name on the box but functionally they are a different team. Other developers like FROM have gone in the opposite direction and have become a powerhouse in recent years.

Even if previous Armored Core games were not particularly great (I was never a fan), this release is still exciting purely because of the renewed talent at the helm.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

I gave many fucks about Armored Core. That and Chromehounds...best mech games,,,well Armored Core up to For Answer. Armored Core 5 was Trash.

Pejo

Gold Member
With the massive success of Elden Ring, FROM is considered a "Premium" developer now. People get excited for games from a Premium Developer, no matter the game. Hell, people would probably hype up a Ninja Blade 2 at this point, and I think I'm one of the only 12 people on the earth that liked that game.

Top Bottom