• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite Local food dish?

Lanf

Stoofvlees friet.

Beef stew with a brown beer sauce and french fries.

(BelgianGAF)

I'll go for our other national dish: Moules-frites (mosselen-friet - mussels and fries). Delicious. Have it with some beer, obviously :)

Moule-frites-.jpg

dl77

Aberdeen Butteries, flaky, buttery, savoury bread roll normally toasted under a grill or in a toaster served with butter and jam.

aberdeen-butteries-12-10-20-009.jpg

I live just below the border and have been to Scotland many times but I've never heard of those at all. Shame as they look delicious!

dl77

As I'm from Yorkshire I have to automatically say Yorkshire pudding. As others have said, toad in the hole is one of the classic British dishes. When I was younger I used to love buying a giant Yorkshire pud, heating it up in the oven and then filling it was beef casserole before topping it with either mash or chips. Mmm-mmmmm!

Also, whether it's true or not, fizzy ginger beer apparently originated in Yorkshire.

I'd also mention parkin cake which is basically a heartier version of British gingerbread.

recipe-image-legacy-id--890458_10.jpg

I live in the Lake District now though and there some really good local foods here as well:

Cumberland sausage
cumberland-sausage-seasoning-212-p.jpg

Sticky toffee pudding
sticky-toffee-pudding.jpg

Frankly, I can feel myself getting fatter just staring at both of those!

Ulster Fry - Sausages, bacon, fried egg, soda bread, potato broad, mushrooms, beans... so good.

Fifteens - A soft tray bake cake which gets its name from using 15 of each main ingredient (marshmallows, digestive biscuits, cherries). My mum makes them and takes out the cherries and uses chocolate buttons instead.

Edit: Also, not from here, but Scottish square sausages and Tablet are unreal. Yorkshire pudding is also amazing.

Raptomex

When I moved to PA I tried a cheese steak for the first time and it's become one of my favorite foods. California Cheese Steaks are like sex. Naturally, I have visited several cheese steak spots, my favorite so far being Pats in Philly. Geno's isn't bad, either. Every time I have this conversation with someone they're always recommending some other place. Everybody's place is the "best". Regardless, when somebody mentions a new cheese steak place to me, I have to try it.

Now I did try a cheese steak when I was in Vegas several years back... bad idea. Terrible, just terrible. That's my own fault. I should have known.

weisswurst-essen-875xgpuan.jpg

Weißwurst with Brezel, sweet mustard and a beer. Perfect way to start the day.

As a meal:

xgerman_food_shuttersafq5b.jpg

Schäufele from Franconia in Northern Bavaria.

In Franconia the meat, the pork rind and the bone are scratched in a criss-cross pattern, seasoned with salt, pepper and caraway and put in a casserole dish with diced root vegetables and onions where it is doused with beer and roasted in the oven for about two or three hours. The roast is ready as soon as the meat is easy to separate from the bone and the pork rind is crispy and golden brown. It is then served with various side dishes including gravy, Kartoffelklöße, salad, sauerkraut, red cabbage and savoy cabbage.

And for the evening:

%7Be00c71fb-41fb-db9a-cead-d7b19cd291b8%7D.jpg

Obazda

A Bavarian cheese delicacy. It is prepared by mixing two thirds aged soft cheese, usually Camembert (Romadur or similar cheeses may be used as well) and one third butter

I just realized that it looks like we had a huge consumption of pretzel and beer. :D

g11

Carolina BBQ and Scrapple. I think Scrapple is just generally a southern thing. Or maybe it's a German thing. Whatever, it's fucking delicious.

afroguy10

I live just below the border and have been to Scotland many times but I've never heard of those at all. Shame as they look delicious!

They're amazing, they're actually quite difficult to find. I only see them pop up in Asda now and again but they're normally found in the bread/bakery aisle so keep an eye out.

Cumberland sausage
cumberland-sausage-seasoning-212-p.jpg

Love a Cumberland sausage.

300px-Melton_Mowbray_Pork_Pie.jpg

Melton Mowbray Pork Pie

A really good Melton Mowbray is up there as one of my favourite foods, so filling as well, even the wee mini ones, just pure stodge.

dl77

Says the UK doesn't have good takeaway food and then posts contribution of fried pre-packed frozen chicken strips served with fried -pre-packed frozen chips!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I had a beer that supposedly contained Rocky Mountain oysters when I visited Denver. Was a pretty good stout

Oh, if beer could be considered a dish, I'd have a billion things to list off for Denver.

Founder of the brewery that made that rocky mountain oyster stout is now our Governor, if that's any sign of how serious we take our craft breweries.

TFGB

Interesting
Here, sorry, America, Toad in the hole is a piece of toast with a hole in it. Crack an egg in the hole and fry the whole thing up with butter.
Yea my extended US family have this apparently, but I'm yet to try it. I love Gypsy Toast so will no doubt love that too. :)
Says the UK doesn't have good takeaway food and then posts contribution of fried pre-packed frozen chicken strips served with fried -pre-packed frozen chips!
lol
And a British staple, battered sausage and chips;

I could go a battered sausage right now. Mmmmmm

Another British classic, the perfect accompaniment to a nice bit of battered Cod...chips smothered in Chip Shop Curry Sauce. It doesn't look very appetising admittedly, but it's lush.

RzFiZXd.jpg

With a nice dollop of mushy peas on the side:

PROD-Mushy-Peas.jpg

(Quite reminiscent of The Exorcist)

dosh

I don't live there anymore but I grew up in french Basque Country, and I'll forever be in love with piperade dishes.

piperade-a-l-oeuf.jpg

Basically the basque version of ratatouille, only better. Way better.

The egg isn't mandatory.

dl77

Another British classic, the perfect accompaniment to a nice bit of battered Cod...chips smothered in Chip Shop Curry Sauce. It doesn't look very appetising admittedly, but it's lush.

RzFiZXd.jpg

I love chinese curry. In fact my wife loves it now as well so I keep a few packs of Maysan curry mix in the cupboard. So quick to stir-fry some veg and pre-cooked noodles and then make up some curry sauce to mix in. Delicious!

Generate

Banned
I grew up in Maryland.

IMG_5066.jpg

I'm not too familiar with local dishes in NOVA since it's a melting pot of cultures.

It always bothered me how they dust the outside of the shells with the seasoning instead of getting it inside. It seems like a waste of seasoning.

xk0sm0sx

I already see a few Singapore posts.
But they are the -tourist attraction- of Singapore foods.
Here's the real Singapore food that only a local can be proud of.

at5MMmh.jpg

Laksa is a noodle dish with a spicy, coconut milk based soup.
Spicy and energizing.

0ppFRcL.jpg

Barbecued Sambal Stingray, smothered with sambal paste.
All the bones of the stingray are at the bottom of the fish, so you can just eat the entire top without having to worry about picking bones.

bJNFnXO.jpg

Bak Kut Teh, literally translated as Pork Ribs Tea.
Deceptively simple looking dish but it has an amazingly delicious peppery soup. One can eat several bowls of rice with just the soup alone.
The pork ribs are like a side dish in comparison.

I already see a few Singapore posts.
But they are the -tourist attraction- of Singapore foods.
Here's the real Singapore food that only a local can be proud of.

at5MMmh.jpg

Laksa is a noodle dish with a spicy, coconut milk based soup.
Spicy and energizing.

Uhh this looks so good, I need to look up a recipe.

Stasis

Too many things I wanna eat in this thread, damn. I've tried many but there are so many I've never even seen. Others I've heard of often but never had a chance to try.

I just searched for the word and didn't look through every post, but no mention of NYC "Papaya Dogs"? Beef frankfurter, grilled, toasted bun, sauerkraut, mustard and "red onion sauce". You can Google that, many different recipes. We made some two weeks back for friends here in Montreal and everyone LOVED it. I had never made it for my girlfriend of 9 years, somehow. It's hard to find great pics since it just always looks like a regular hotdog with sauerkraut mustard and ketchup but the sauce isn't ketchup and you need to taste these fresh from the places that make them, served with a large papaya juice or virgin pina colada, basically.

I guess it's misleading in name since there isn't papaya IN the hot dog but I'm pretty sure this is a NYC thing. Places like Gray's Papaya (The OG!) and Papaya King, Papaya Dog... Gray's Papaya had a location on the corner of 8th and 6th, basically a block away from where I grew up and they were $0.50 for the longest time. I'd get them often.

edit: Living in Montreal now it's definitely poutine, which is EVERYWHERE. But I've also had the Nova Scotia "Donair" which isn't the same as Doner Kebab. I know the difference isn't really visible. It's the sauce mainly, very different taste. Kind of jarring at first when you're expecting the latter. But you grow into it. I've only had it a few times but will when we go back.

Top Bottom