• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite Local food dish?

afroguy10

The full Scottish breakfast, haggis, black or white pudding, square sausage, potato scone, bacon, beans, a fried egg and maybe a slice of fried bread.

the-wheelhouse.jpg

Aberdeen Butteries, flaky, buttery, savoury bread roll normally toasted under a grill or in a toaster served with butter and jam.

aberdeen-butteries-12-10-20-009.jpg

Scottish Macaroon, sweet made of mashed potatoes and heaps and heaps of sugar formed into a bar which is dipped in chocolate and roasted dessicated coconut.

macaroons_bars_3.jpg

Tablet, very sweet confectionery item formed of boiled sugar, butter and condensed milk with vanilla.

xscottish_tablet.jpg.pagespeed.ic.7LZGc2W47g.jpg

Stovies, roughly mashed potatoes mixed with bits of square sausage, cracked black pepper, salt and chopped onion. Sometimes served with oatcakes.

DSC_0912.jpg

Haggis, neeps and tatties. Our national dish, haggis served with mashed potatoes and mashed turnips. Normally eaten around Robert Burns night and sometimes topped with a whiskey sauce.

haggis-neeps-tatties.jpg

Vixdean

Probably the pastrami burger here in Utah/SLC,

20110110-131010-crown-burgers-burger.jpg

I don't know if you can even qualify it as a "local food", as it's more of a greek thing, but it was popularized by a local chain called Crown Burger and now basically any burger/sandwich joint or American restaurant around here sells a version of it.

Kite

Viet Cajun crawfish was created by Viet immigrants who settled in Houston.

houfood_170205_cajunkitchen_cuclam.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efNFAEleGnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rk8BdXJBUI

This year, Eater is teaming up with James Beard award-winning Southern Foodways Alliance to spotlight their documentary work, premiering a short film every other week. This next piece focuses on Vietnamese-style crawfish boils, which have become a mainstay in Houston, a city that boasts one of the largest Vietnamese populations in the United States.

The Vietnamese crawfish boils in Houston are similar to traditional Cajun boils except the chefs add Asian aromatics to the boil — lemongrass and ginger — and serve it on top of a sauce of butter and garlic and spices. Says Kit Dong of Crawfish Cafe, "It's the same thing as Louisiana crawfish, boiled and soaked just the way Louisiana people do, except we add a little extra layer of flavor to it... it gives it a Vietnamese twist to it." The film tells the story of a dish but really it tells the story of Vietnamese immigration and the hybridized foodways they honed on the Texas coast.

lem0n

Growing up on the North Shore in Massachusetts, I had a huge variety of great places to eat. The local thing is a hot roast beef, and this one from Beechmont in Revere is just the best. I'm also a fan of Billy's in Wakefield, for anyone from MA that may be reading lol

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I live somewhere new multiple times a year. Here in Mattoon, Illinois, the answer's "horseshoe."

rfl_13981.jpg

It looks wonky, but it tastes great.

gforguava

��
It is a bit of a classic, due to the poor wheat growing conditions in New England a lot of bread of was made by mixing various flours and Brown Bread(sometimes Boston Brown Bread) is made by using 1/3 rye flour, 1/3 wheat flour, and 1/3 cornmeal, flavored with a heaping of molasses and steamed in a can(allowing it to be easily made without an oven), keeping it nice, moist and crust-less.

A hearty, simple dish for the poor working class of old New England.

It is a bit of a classic, due to the poor wheat growing conditions in New England a lot of bread of was made by mixing various flours and Brown Bread(sometimes Boston Brown Bread) is made by using 1/3 rye flour, 1/3 wheat flour, and 1/3 cornmeal, flavored with a heaping of molasses and steamed in a can(allowing it to be easily made without an oven), keeping it nice, moist and crust-less.

A hearty, simple dish for the poor working class of old New England.

Wow TIL

Doesn't sound so bad actually when you explain it

Dan-o

Where I am now: beef brisket
Where I was: ginger beef (done right, not that soggy shit you get at most places)

Kas

Kapsalon.

I've yet to actually have it, but it'd a Dutch food with fries, sambal, gouda, döner meat an a bit of salad on top.

One day, I'll fly to the Netherlands and try it

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure any one thing defines Toronto anymore since we have so many ethnic groups living here.

Beaver Tails are an Ottawa thing
Poutine is a Montreal thing
Nanaimo Bars are a BC thing
We're supposed to be represented with Pork Sandwiches - specifically peameal bacon sandwiches.

I guess if you're including Scarborough, maybe Chinese Haka food? It'd be some form of spicy chicken dish.

dagZ

I can throw another one in I forgot:

Utica Greens

Utica-Greens-3.png

Utica greens is an Italian American dish made of hot peppers, sauteed greens, chicken stock or broth, escarole, cheese, pecorino, breadcrumbs and variations of meat and prosciutto. Other variations include greens with potatoes, kale, Swiss chard, and pignoli nuts.

The full Scottish breakfast, haggis, black or white pudding, square sausage, potato scone, bacon, beans, a fried egg and maybe a slice of fried bread.

the-wheelhouse.jpg

Haggis, neeps and tatties. Our national dish, haggis served with mashed potatoes and mashed turnips. Normally eaten around Robert Burns night and sometimes topped with a whiskey sauce.

haggis-neeps-tatties.jpg

My man

Bessy67

I'm from Wisconsin and I can't really think of anything that's uniquely Wisconsin. Bratwurst is probably the best I can think of

Teggy

Donairs (Nova Scotia)

Nothing beats going to Tony's at 2AM on a Saturday night and getting one.

Was in NS just recently and got to give this a try. Thumbs up. Has a good story behind it too.

Growing up on the North Shore in Massachusetts, I had a huge variety of great places to eat. The local thing is a hot roast beef, and this one from Beechmont in Revere is just the best. I'm also a fan of Billy's in Wakefield, for anyone from MA that may be reading lol

A bunch of good roast beef places in MA, from the well known Kelly's to many random places (actually the one we have most frequently is in Hudson, NH, just over the border. ) Quality of onion rings is key.

Boston Cream Pie

Fried seafood (courtesy of Woodman's of Essex)

Top Bottom