• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite Local food dish?

dagZ

I'm from New York, so here's my dishes that I think are delish..

Chicken Riggies:

chicken-riggies-3-683x1024.jpg

Chicken riggies or Utica riggies is an Italian-American pasta dish native to the Utica-Rome area of New York State. It is a pasta-based dish usually consisting of chicken, rigatoni and hot or sweet peppers in a spicy cream and tomato sauce, although many variations exist.

Salt Potatoes:

Salt_potatoes.jpg

Salt potatoes are a regional dish of Syracuse, New York, typically served in the summer when the young potatoes are first harvested. They are a staple food at fairs and barbecues. In the Central New York region where they are the most popular, potatoes specifically intended for salt potatoes can be purchased by the bag along with packages of salt.

Garbage Plates:

H3dz6bO.jpg

A Garbage Plate is a true Rochester delicacy. It is a disorganized combination of either cheeseburger, hamburger, Italian sausages, steak, chicken, white or red hots, a grilled cheese sandwich, fried fish, or eggs, served on top of one or two of the following: home fries, fries, beans, and mac salad. A plate is always made to order. Then, the plate is adorned with optional mustard, onions and Rochester's version of hot sauce. Some restaurants will charge for extra helpings of hot sauce, and the hot sauce varies widely in flavor and spiciness. A plate is usually served with a side of white bread and butter, though some restaurants charge extra for bread. It is said that the purpose of the bread is to soak up the grease left after you've eaten the garbage plate.

Maedre

Banned
I'd say currywurst but lower Saxony has garbage tier currywurst, other locations are much better at that.

Lower Saxony and Currywurst in the same sentence?

As someone from Westphalia I would say Grünkohl with mettenden is the best.

Kale with potatoes and mette ends.

mhayes86

I grew up in Maryland.

IMG_5066.jpg

I'm not too familiar with local dishes in NOVA since it's a melting pot of cultures.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Scottish Munchie Box: Heart stopping collection of everything drunk people think about.

Yes this is fries a kebab for some reason, pakoras and onion rings and you name it. Some include fish, pies fried chicken etc. This one has a "salad"

o8cmt4a.jpg

highrider

Banned
I grew up in Maryland.

IMG_5066.jpg

I'm not too familiar with local dishes in NOVA since it's a melting pot of cultures.

Also from Maryland, blue crab is delicious but if you're a big person or just eat more than most it's an ultimately frustrating meal. The labor to meat quotient makes it virtually impossible to satiate yourself.

TFGB

The Banoffi Pie was invented in the Hungry Monk pub which is a 5 minute drive from me.,
(even though it's no longer a pub) here in sunny East Sussex.

Banoffee+Pie.png

Hungry+Monk+ext2.png

Hungry+Monk+plaque.png

The original recipe can be found here.

So yea...I'd say that was my favourite local food. :)

don't know what california local food is
i don't think california rolls count

but there's some korean-mexican hybrid stuff that might be from here. that stuff is great

Crab-stuffed shrimp wrapped in bacon and smothered in monterey jack cheese.

BeINeyH.jpg

Not the best picture, I know, but just... just roll with me here.

MrMephistoX

Not from Chicago ( and natives will probably kill me) but I actually like Giordano's stuffed deep dish the best and I've tried Lou Malnati's and Gino's East multiple times. Portillo's is probably my overall fave though and now that I live in L.A I go if I'm ever in the OC for business or post Disneyland.

MrMephistoX

Crab-stuffed shrimp wrapped in bacon and smothered in monterey jack cheese.

BeINeyH.jpg

Not the best picture, I know, but just... just roll with me here.

Shit is this called Camarones Apretelado's? There's a place run by Guadalajara immigrants up in Portland that has this on the menu and it's great but oddly enough I haven't found a go to Mexican place in the San Gabriel Valley aside from delicious Food Trucks and Drive through stands.

Shit is this called Camarones Apretelado's? There's a place run by Guadalajara immigrants up in Portland that has this on the menu and it's great but oddly enough I haven't found a go to Mexican place in the San Gabriel Valley aside from delicious Food Trucks and Drive through stands.

Yep, from a place called Macarios in Indio CA, actually. It's practically a small house near the freeway but also some of the best Mexican food that I've ever had.

Though that's kind of a misnomer knowing that this area in general is just lousy with fantastic-quality Mexican food.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Like the op said the Mohawk Valley has some good food. I love Utica Greens and Half-moon cookies.

Dougald

The Banoffi Pie was invented in the Hungry Monk pub which is a 5 minute drive from me.,
(even though it's no longer a pub) here in sunny East Sussex.

Banoffi? Is this some Mandela Effect stuff? I've only ever seen it spelled Banoffee

It's amazing though, however you spell it

Pickman

Tampa roll sushi.

Deep fried grouper, special orange sauce, mayo, and green onion. Sometimes with avocado, sometimes not. Always delicious.

dagZ

Scottish Munchie Box: Heart stopping collection of everything drunk people think about.

Yes this is fries a kebab for some reason, pakoras and onion rings and you name it. Some include fish, pies fried chicken etc. This one has a "salad"

o8cmt4a.jpg

sounds like just our garbage plate

Falchion

I'm near the Chesapeake Bay so there's all kind of crab around here. Crabcakes and crab dip for pita chips are both amazing.

Too many!

Char Kuay Teow. Stir fried flat rice noodles

latest

Nasi Lemak. Coconut Rice with sambal sauce.

image-4---village-park-nasi-lemak-at-damansara-uptown.png

Nasi kerabu. Blue-coloured rice eaten with dried fish or fried chicken, crackers, pickles and other salads.

NasiKerabuKelantan3.jpg

Top Bottom