• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long Beach CA Restaurant admits to re-selling Popeyes Chicken

kmfdmpig

Her response to the review is a PR disaster.

"So whatever to you and your little review like it was some great exposure, and whatever to you dude,"

Trumpian, almost.

If the biscuit is the focus why not get that from Popeyes as well? Their biscuits are good.

Skeletron

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles is right up the street from there and has the best chicken and waffles anywhere on the planet so I have literally never heard of this place.

Edit:
It's been a while since I lived in Long Beach but isn't Roscoe's just a couple blocks away?
Yeah, this.

highrider

Banned
I’m a chef and I couldn’t imagine the stress of having a menu item that couldn’t be prepared in house. What do they do when it’s busy lol.

EYEL1NER

*love that chicken at popeyessss*

The Indian restaurant by my house buys beers at the local liquor store and resells them at the restaurant.
That sounds really fishy. Makes me wonder if they are trying to skirt around liquor license and distribution laws.

Steejee

Ummm lady you don't even have to have a fryer to fry chicken. There is such a thing as pan fried. How stupid can you be to pull shit like this, then defend it with that kind of attitude?? Puts a bad name to all places actually doing real cooking.

Can't wait to hear how Popeye's responds to their product being heavily marked up and sold with no mention at all...

My first reaction to 'No fryer' was that 'Unless your kitchen is the size of a broom closet, you probably have room for a fryer'. They're not big and most kitchens have some use for them.

My second reaction was like yours, 'Then make the friend chicken the old fashioned way - a big cast iron pot (or deep skillet), drop a thermometer in to monitor it, and you'll have legit amazing friend chicken'.

I am somewhat impressed by their gall to double down on the confession that it's Popeyes and it's just an ingredient to go with their biscuits.

Armaros

I'd be surprised if cooked food like fried chicken isnt safe to eat after what is essentially a delivery drive. I'd also be surprised if this were against any codes for the same reason. It's basically food delivery.

Unless they run out to Popeyes per order, I doubt the food arriving to the table would consititute delivery from Popeyes.

It would be reheated or continually heated food.

After looking at their yelp page, I just came to the realization that I ate there about a year and a half ago.

It was actually pretty good, but then again. I didn't have the chicken.

The mental image is hilarious. Could have easily put it in another bag. Say their nonexistent frier was being repaired and they had no choice or blame a scapegoat that it wasn’t SOP, but don’t actually take action. She chose to double down instead lol.

When the food arrived, I could immediately tell that the fried chicken was Popeyes on look alone. The distinctive batter and shape was in play. In case we needed any further confirmation, our table was approached by a woman that we later learned was the owner Kimberly Sanchez.

She oddly chose her first communication with us, random customers, to enlighten us that the chicken on Elie's dish was from Popeyes.

The woman then apologized that the chicken was very overcooked (it definitely was extremely rubbery upon tasting). Her reasoning was that local health inspectors had just shown up to ensure that Dixie Sweet Kitchen was up to standards because of all of the negative complaints from the past day. Thus, she had to "overcook the chicken" to reach the required temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit that it should normally be served at to kill bacteria.

To directly come out, unprompted, and discuss the fried chicken seemed a little bizarre. It was clear that the weight of the controversy rested heavily on her mind.
I don't know if this is commendable or despicable, but wow, what a double down.

L Thammy

Would reselling Popeyes' food fall under first sale doctrine?

I mean, it's dumb because it's presumably more expensive and no more convenient than going to Popeyes yourself, and lying about it would be an issue, I'm just wondering if the reselling is legal.

Ponn

Banned
I don't know if this is commendable or despicable, but wow, what a double down.

Soooo that sounds indeed like the chicken wasn’t being kept to code which was my main worry when I heard this story. Good luck with consistency on that. Fried chicken is hard to keep crispy and fresh and when you start transporting it all over the place in bags and it’s sitting for who knows how long and you don’t have a fryer or reliable reheating method (there really isn’t for fried anything) than, yea, yeesh. Congrats on paying $13 for old heat lamped popeyes chicken that they would probably be pitching.

shaneo632

the restaurant's kitchen isn't equipped with a fryer

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

norm9

So true. Roscoes is hyped to the moon and back. First time having it was underwhelming to put it lightly.

I'll give it up to their great atmosphere and it's delicious when you're drunk.

I'll take points away and my patronage from them based on the numerous times I've straight up been ignored/denied entry to their establishment at their Gower location. I see you, door man.

dionysus

Yaldog
Sourcing the gumbo from a friend who makes it at home, wouldn't that also be a health code violation? I mean why have health inspectors and all that for restaurants if they can just make it offsite.

Jacked

Neo Member
I don't understand the uproar.

She is being completely upfront and honest as Well as it only being included in one specific menu item that literally has Popeye's inferred in its title.

What a complete non story.....

Isnt that like a copyright violation or something.. As they are selling another company Product. I love Popeye's but I would not like it if I went to a restaurant and they sold me that at a markup pretending they made it themselves.

Furyous

I shudder for the future of restaurants in America. Make it like the broadcast stations where one corporation can own stations in multiple places under different names.

Why doesn't the owner find out what Popeyes uses and buy it from the source? I'm trying to find ways to rationalize this idea. If that quote is true that this restaurant doesn't own fryers then an investigation needs to take place. Where else are they cutting corners? What are cooks paid to do since they're reheating Popeyes' food? Since they're cutting corners go all the way with it and stop including menus. Just post flyers on windows with food prices to save money.

I am confused and saddened by all of this.

Astral Dog

lol, poor woman i understand how hard work and pitiful running a restaurant (cafe) is, that she is doing it to support her employees is a bit sad, that critic had too much power

Top Bottom