• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long Beach CA Restaurant admits to re-selling Popeyes Chicken

Timeaisis

827.jpg

lmao, there ya go

My wife is in culinary school and just completed her Serve-Safe training. I could ask her. My gut tells me "no."

OK, so apparently it could potentially be legal depending on how it was transported and if it was kept above an acceptable temperature. However, failing to label it as Popeye's is likely a violation. A lot of the laws concerning this stuff are local, so it might violate specific ordinances within that jurisdiction.

BriGuy

I would imagine Popeye's doesn't want people reselling their chicken without some kind of agreement in place. They've got a brand to protect after all.

Slayven

Legality aside......how is that shit cost effective? you can sell the breast and drumsticks, but not the chicken wings and Popeyes give you a lot of wings

norm9

*love that chicken at popeyessss*

The Indian restaurant by my house buys beers at the local liquor store and resells them at the restaurant.

blugbox

Neo Member
And yet if you bought frozen chicken from Costco, cooked it and sold it, that would be fine.

I wonder if there's actually a legal difference.

Part of the difference is that Popeye's specific selection of seasonings and battering method is part of their brand, which they pay money to protect. If you happened to use the exact spice combo and make it nearly the same, that's still not equivalent to just buying their product and selling it as your own.

OK, so apparently it could potentially be legal depending on how it was transported and if it was kept above an acceptable temperature. However, failing to label it as Popeye's is likely a violation. A lot of the laws concerning this stuff are local, so it might violate specific ordinances within that jurisdiction.

Unless a local law requires them to divulge where it is sourced from, it is legal. Restaurants do this all the time (granted, not fast food). And, frankly, Popeyes was probably well aware. They must have come in daily for very large amounts of chicken. Probably cut them a good deal for it actually.

jman2050

Popeyes gets their money either way and aren’t really on the hook for anything the restaurant does so I can’t imagine they wouldn’t be fine with it.

The restaurant is the dumb one here, Popeyes was probably laughing at being able to sell so much of their product.

Richie

The mental image of this is hilarious...this would have been a perfect crappy kids' movie in the 90s: group of radical kids gets the brilliant idea of reselling fast food and marketing it as fancy, then a bunch of uppity fancy folks are convinced that they're eating high quality delicacies and the kids are slapping each other high fives behind the scenes.

Even Stevens had an episode with a similar premise. "Bucket of Duck...Isn't that...Fast food!?"

Excelsior

looks like I've been sleeping for years on creating a startup based on reselling those amazing Sam's Club cinnamon pretzels

Sumidor

*love that chicken at popeyessss*

The Indian restaurant by my house buys beers at the local liquor store and resells them at the restaurant.
Unless they are ripping labels off and saying it’s made there, this is different. All restaurants and bars buy beer made by an outside source, except for the ones that actually have their own brewery.

I bet they could’ve charged even more for reselling Publix fried chicken and they probably would get away with it for a good amount of time.

see5harp

Unless a local law requires them to divulge where it is sourced from, it is legal. Restaurants do this all the time (granted, not fast food). And, frankly, Popeyes was probably well aware. They must have come in daily for very large amounts of chicken. Probably cut them a good deal for it actually.

Um...decent restaurants do shit like source bread. They source stuff that other people do better like baguettes. Not the damn main protein.

yrba1

Hmm, live in the LBC area, never noticed this place. I'll be sure to cross this off my places to go to.

erawsd

"I am using them only as an ingredient in a menu item featuring our biscuit."

What? So people are ordering a biscuit with a side of chicken? Or is it more like you order the biscuit and they dress the plate with chicken tenders?

Is this even legal from Popeyes POV? Are you allowed to resell other foods without permission in a restaurant?

In the article, she justifies her choice not to disclose to customers she's using Popeye's chicken by arguing that she uses their chicken as an "ingredient." For someone with zero legal background, I think it's very interesting to think about. Every day restaurants use prepared, store bought items like canned tomatoes, frozen french fries, mustard and ketchup, but you don't see them list "Hunt's Crushed Tomatoes", "Ore Ida Crinkle Cut Fries", "Grey Poupon", or "Heinz Ketchup" on their menus.

Dali

My wife is in culinary school and just completed her Serve-Safe training. I could ask her. My gut tells me "no."
I'd be surprised if cooked food like fried chicken isnt safe to eat after what is essentially a delivery drive. I'd also be surprised if this were against any codes for the same reason. It's basically food delivery.

Ponn

Banned
Anyone want to buy this $10 cheeseburger with special sauce? Yea the cheeseburger ingredient is McDs but the sauce is my own.

Top Bottom