• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite Local food dish?

I'm from Wisconsin and I can't really think of anything that's uniquely Wisconsin. Bratwurst is probably the best I can think of

I'd pick deep fried cheese curds. They've definitely spread, but nothing beats ones made with fresh Wisconsin cheese.

Brandy old fashioned are quite good as well - those you pretty much can't get outside of WI. When I moved to MN and asked for one the waiter looked like I was speaking a foreign language.

Bessy67

I'd pick deep fried cheese curds. They've definitely spread, but nothing beats ones made with fresh Wisconsin cheese.

Brandy old fashioned are quite good as well - those you pretty much can't get outside of WI. When I moved to MN and asked for one the waiter looked like I was speaking a foreign language.
Yeah, we do have a love affair with brandy. I think Wisconsin gets something like 1/3 of all the brandy Korbel makes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Chow Mein Sandwich.

GvrNN7F.jpg

I said to myself, that I was going to appreciate everything in here for what it was, a local specialty that deserved our attention, and shouldn't be scorned or dismissed but I had already written down that I wasn't going to accept this or Cincinnati Chili because no.

Just no.

Spenny

I'm from San Diego, so the California burrito would be my go to local dish. The shrimp diablo burrito front Cotijas is good too.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Canadian(Halifax) Donair.

Yes Ive had multiple american gyros and shwarmas. Its not the same thing!
TojwGSv.jpg

Well explain because it looks like a regular doner kebab - pressed beef and lamb and spices grilled (on a rotating spit) and sliced into pita bread with a yogurt sauce and Mediterranean/middle eastern spiced onions and tomatoes. And this one looks like it has chili sauce too. Also normal.

What is the local twist?

Also from Maryland, blue crab is delicious but if you're a big person or just eat more than most it's an ultimately frustrating meal. The labor to meat quotient makes it virtually impossible to satiate yourself.

Yeah, crabs (at least in my experience) are kind of for fun eating. They're kind of something you eat sitting around with a bunch of family or friends, but I can't imagine eating them and them alone with nothing else to eat. I usually have them with chicken wings, hot dogs or some other kind of meat dish.

Alternatively, soft shell blue crabs are really really good.

Log4Girlz

I said to myself, that I was going to appreciate everything in here for what it was, a local specialty that deserved our attention, and shouldn't be scorned or dismissed but I had already written down that I wasn't going to accept this or Cincinnati Chili because no.

Just no.

I'm near Cincinnati on business. Straight garbage. Fuck Skyline.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Kansas City, so it's gotta be BBQ:

The Z-Man:

gqm2abii9.4-0_1.jpg

Gates:

873ea30d640372b64a5b63a75f0ccf46_featured_v2.jpg

Jack Stack:

IMG_9210-2-594x446.jpg

Q39:

IMG_2623-470x472.jpg

Zarda:

LIKE_DSC_1687.jpg

Char Bar:

char-bar-whole-hog-tray1.jpg

AB's:

arthur-bryant-s-bbq.jpg

The list goes on and on...

Sanjuro

Just no.

...so what you're saying is there is going to be a Chow Mein Sandwich in Halo 6.

Sounds disgusting but it's actually so good, I always make sure to get some anytime I'm in Punjab.

Paya are goat trotters cooked down until soft with spices to make a delicious broth that tastes amazing with flat bread.

1.Paya_1.jpg

PudieRSC

Well explain because it looks like a regular doner kebab - pressed beef and lamb and spices grilled (on a rotating spit) and sliced into pita bread with a yogurt sauce and Mediterranean/middle eastern spiced onions and tomatoes. And this one looks like it has chili sauce too. Also normal.

What is the local twist?

The sauce. It's not chili sauce. It's VERY sweet. Otherwise pretty spot on.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Only thing I know of that might be considered local is Rocky Mountain Oysters, which I never wanted to try given what it is

and Beau Jo's Colorado Style Pizza which is just pizza having a huge crust that you're supposed to put honey on. That's kinda good but inferior to any other american pizza style.

There's of course good local restaurants but I don't think of their dishes as specifically local.

99Luffy

Banned

What is the local twist?
Pretty much just the sauce. Its vinegar and condensed milk.

TFGB

Banoffi? Is this some Mandela Effect stuff? I've only ever seen it spelled Banoffee

It's amazing though, however you spell it

Yep. Obviously the spelling has become bastardised somewhere along the line, but that's the original and correct spelling for Banoffi Pie.

I agree too, absolutely amazing!

TFGB

Not locally native, but native to my country is the humble Yorkshire Pudding. (Known as 'popovers' in the US)

The-Best-Ever-Yorkshire-Pudding-Recipe-In-The-Airfryer.jpg

One of my favourite dishes made using Yorkie Puds, is Toad in the Hole which is sausages baked in a Yorkie batter:

toad.jpg

I'm off to Yorkshire in a few days time for a break, and I'm going to seek out a proper 'filled' Yorkshire pudding, which normally consists of either sausages, mash & onion gravy, or meat and veg with gravy. Gurt lush!

4a20c0a929983e0f46240725b27a7921.jpg

compressed_Giant-yorkshire-puddingV2.jpg

Teggy

What is the local twist?

The history of the donair is a little murky. Its predecessor, the doner kebab, was made in the 1950s by the owner of a Turkish kebab house in Berlin. The Greek adaptation, the gyro, soon followed, and it was this version that Peter and John Kamoulakos tried to introduce to Bluenosers during the late 1960s at their small restaruant in Bedford, N.S. The brothers soon found, however, that Nova Scotians weren't so fond of lamb served with a yogurt-based sauce. They ditched the lamb for beef and crafted the distinctive sweet sauce, creating something quite removed from shawarma and kebab.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/li...4257639/?ref=https://www.theglobeandmail.com&

TFGB

San Francisco

Any kind of sandwich made with Dutch Crunch bread

Known as "Tiger Bread" or "Tiger Rolls" here in the UK. I always get that instead of a French Stick if I fancy some crusty bread...lovely with lashings of Lurpak on it.

Chuckie

Kapsalon.

I've yet to actually have it, but it'd a Dutch food with fries, sambal, gouda, döner meat an a bit of salad on top.

One day, I'll fly to the Netherlands and try it

Oh God yeah kapsalon!

Haven't had it for months now (it has 1800 calories a portion) but I think I will get one this week :D

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Not locally native, but native to my country is the humble Yorkshire Pudding. (Known as 'popovers' in the US)

One of my favourite dishes made using Yorkie Puds, is Toad in the Hole which is sausages baked in a Yorkie batter:

toad.jpg
Interesting
Here, sorry, America, Toad in the hole is a piece of toast with a hole in it. Crack an egg in the hole and fry the whole thing up with butter.

Top Bottom