• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck!?!? I thought I was past this PS4 Pro overheating bullshit!!!

xool

Sorry about the confusion.

Yeah, I meant they're half as thick as the pads inside. So, should I put one on top of the other in order to match the originals in thickness?

I wouldn't - those pads aren't great heat conductors anyway and an extra join is going to make it worse - any PC repair shop should be able to sell you some thicker ones for not much I think.

Nickolaidas

I wouldn't - those pads aren't great heat conductors anyway and an extra join is going to make it worse - any PC repair shop should be able to sell you some thicker ones for not much I think.
Okay, found a store in Greece which has both 1mm thick pads as well as 1,5mm thick pads. Should I go with 1,5mm?

xool

Okay, found a store in Greece which has both 1mm thick pads as well as 1,5mm thick pads. Should I go with 1,5mm?

I think the PS4s come with 1mm pads, but they could have changed in revisions so.. I'd take one off and measure it .. if it's not obviously thicker than 1mm then I'd stick with 1mm ... too thick and there could be too much physical presssure on the RAM, which could crack a solder joint or something.

Ar¢tos

At least with all the complaints about fan noise since the release we can expect Sony to use a less noisy solution for the PS5 (if they aren't totally clueless).

Arun1910

I dont understand how some of you get so annoyed by this... seems like your life risks if the fan gets loud enough.

Just let it do its work and keep your console alive.

This is a legit issue.

Was playing online the other day with a mate and his PS4 fan was so loud that i could hear it through his mic. Granted it's close to him, but regardless, it sounds like a vacuum ( and so does mine )

xool

I do know some games fuck up though by not capping the framerate in menu's, so they tend to run at max frames and putting fan usage at 100%. Days Gone was the most recent example of this.

HZD too. Both first party titles.

You'd think Sony devs would be able not to fuck up their own shit but here goes.

Fox Mulder

I dont understand how some of you get so annoyed by this... seems like your life risks if the fan gets loud enough.

Just let it do its work and keep your console alive.

I still dont know how some people get jet engines. I own two Pros and never hear them at all. I did have a HDD slowly die and it was hot as fuck when I pulled it out. Could have used a jet engine then.

Nickolaidas

Okay, opened up my PS4 Pro.

Thermal pads were fine. Thermal paste … not so much.

QY18mAE.jpg

YW7gIxe.jpg

1hF6gpb.jpg

I re-installed the thermal paste (the thermal pads seemed just fine) and closed the Pro. I ran Doom and God of War. It's still very loud, but I think 25% less so.

Disappointed overall.

Top Bottom